Planning golf trip to Scottsdale

jfrigo1003

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
First time heading to the Scottsdale/Phoenix area and looking for suggestions or hidden gems. Heading there middle - late April for 5 days and we're planning on playing 3x for sure, more if I get my way haha

I want to play Troon North Monument course but with the 3 guys im going with who are probably around 18hc id feel bad booking a $350+ course to watch them all shoot over 100. For sure I'm going to book The Boulders South course but after that it's up in the air

I know most answers will be "everywhere is good" and I know that but asking those of you who play there what's your favorite course and what is a MUST PLAY course for someone visiting. Only course I have no desire to play is TPC Scottsdale Stadium course. I dont wanna pay over $300 to play the 16th hole and have no grand stands although I hear the Champions course is pretty darn good too

If was booking today I had it narrowed to Boulders South, Quintero, and one of the We Ko Pa courses

A little further down the road from Troon North is Verde River. Good course.

I prefer Pinnacle over monument but similar enough.

Pre-Covid I did a Spring training and golf trip every year and had a ton of fun.

I liked the Biltmore course and have heard very good things about We Ko Pa.

Few non-golf recs-
Steak 44
Culinary Dropout
House of Tricks (for lunch)
Undertow (Speakeasy tiki bar, but I'm a tiki bar nerd)

Top Golf is also fun there.

A little further down the road from Troon North is Verde River. Good course.

I prefer Pinnacle over monument but similar enough.
oh really, why do you like Pinnacle more

Pre-Covid I did a Spring training and golf trip every year and had a ton of fun.

I liked the Biltmore course and have heard very good things about We Ko Pa.

Few non-golf recs-
Steak 44
Culinary Dropout
House of Tricks (for lunch)
Undertow (Speakeasy tiki bar, but I'm a tiki bar nerd)

Top Golf is also fun there.
awesome thanks for the info! We're catching a D'backs game Saturday night

I played both We Ko Pa courses over thanksgiving this year. The Saguaro was great, pretty generous off the tee but still was fun to play. Highly recommend. Cholla was fine but a couple holes were gimmicky. If you want to play 36 in a day, We Ko Pa is a pretty good deal. I've played McCormick Ranch which is friendlier on the wallet but still a good course. It isn't typical desert golf though.

I wonder if a state troon card would save you money if you all wanted to play troon.

For my golf game Pinnacle is more open off the tee. There is some target golf on Monument that I don't like. If you are playing up a tee box or two for the 18 cappers then the driver is not really needed on Pinnacle.

For my golf game Pinnacle is more open off the tee. There is some target golf on Monument that I don't like. If you are playing up a tee box or two for the 18 cappers then the driver is not really needed on Pinnacle.
I know its not real life but I just played Monument on a simulator 3 days ago to get a feel for it and it seems pretty hard.... ok Pinnacle sounds like a fun option then for everyone

I really love We Ko Pa.

Another "hidden gem" around Troon North is Legend Trail. Fun track. Have not played since the beginning of the year so not sure on conditions.

I am going by Troon North because you have that and Boulders listed so if you want to venture out some the list expands. The Grayhawk courses are up towards that way as well but I have not played them in years so I can't remember if I would recommend or not.

We Ko Pa courses maybe the best in area. Grayhawk/Raptor/Talon very nice...Both Boulders very nice..McCormack Ranch maybe best bang for buck...If Troon this may be your ticket for group...
Troon Card | Troon.com

IMO, Quintero is overpriced and overrated. I would drive another 30 minutes NW to Wickenburg Ranch. Has a great par 3 course and championship 18. Verrado in Goodyear is another great course that won’t break the bank. AK Chin(Southern Dunes and WhirlWind are south in Maricopa county but are good plays at decent prices. Most courses are overpriced for non residents in the spring but GolfNow and a few other sites can help get the price down.

Pinnacle is a far better course from a design perspective, views, even conditions. Troon North actually took the 2 best nines and combined them to create the Pinnacle course and the lesser of the 2 nines to make the Monument course.

Wekopa Saguaro is going to be the best of the course overall.

Quintero is going to be the visitor top course because of the remoteness, the views and the elevation changes.

Hidden Gems - Legend Trail (but it is priced high these days) so not much of a hidden gem anymore; Vistancia and Sterling Grove. But for the price, The Verrado courses and Southern Dunes are worth the drives for sure.

Since you mentioned difficulty - Boulders South is pretty unforgiving if not hitting well, even if hitting well because the fairways run off or out. I personally do not think South is worth the price. BTW, you may not have a choice; as Boulders alternates the courses for the membership. You may have the North course as the choice when you are here - but that is not bad because it is actually the better course, minus some of the dramatic views.

If you want the best possible trip (based on some of the comments you noted): Wekopa Saguaro [great course, conditions and views, plus forgiving], Quintero [best views, and visitor experience, conditions] and Troon Pinnacle [design, views, fun, etc].
  • If you need to lower the price but play very good courses - play Verrado (either), Southern Dunes
  • If willing to drive a little farther, then Wickenburg Ranch

Last edited:
We Ko Pa courses maybe the best in area. Grayhawk/Raptor/Talon very nice...Both Boulders very nice..McCormack Ranch maybe best bang for buck...If Troon this may be your ticket for group...
Troon Card | Troon.com

These days McCormick Ranch is $100 for a course with virtually no grass, always a muddy mess, bad greens, boring and slow play.

Pinnacle is a far better course from a design perspective, views, even conditions. Troon North actually took the 2 best nines and combined them to create the Pinnacle course and the lesser of the 2 nines to make the Monument course.

Wekopa Saguaro is going to be the best of the course overall.

Quintero is going to be the visitor top course because of the remoteness, the views and the elevation changes.

Hidden Gems - Legend Trial (but it is priced high these days); Vistancia and Sterling Grove. But for the price, The Verrado courses and Southern Dunes are worth the drives for sure.

Since you mentioned difficulty - Boulders South is pretty unforgiving if not hitting well, even if hitting well because the fairways run off or out. I personally do not think South is worth the price. BTW, you may not have a choice; as Boulders alternates the courses for the membership. You may have the North course as the choice when you are here - but that is not bad because it is actually the better course, minus some of the dramatic views.

If you want the best possible trip (based on some of the comments you noted): Wekopa Saguaro [great course, conditions and views, plus forgiving], Quintero [best views, and visitor experience, conditions] and Troon Pinnacle [design, views, fun, etc].
  • If you need to lower the price but play very good courses - play Verrado (either), Southern Dunes
  • If willing to drive a little farther, then Wickenburg Ranch
Wekopa Saguaro was the 1 of the 2 courses I preferred if we decide to go there. Ak Chin was another option im considering bc it seems to be cheaper than most of the options

I read the same about Boulders. South has the views which is what im personally hoping for.... are either Talking Stick courses worth it or no?

The 4 of us are going for my bachelor party so we know were gonna spend some money but I dont want the others to pay $1,000 for 3 rounds of golf. Boulders, Wekopa, and Troon pinnacle put it around $900 if not more. Thats why im hoping to get some things booked now hoping it would be cheaper. I havent really found any sites that seem to plan it for you and be discounted

First time heading to the Scottsdale/Phoenix area and looking for suggestions or hidden gems. Heading there middle - late April for 5 days and we're planning on playing 3x for sure, more if I get my way haha

I want to play Troon North Monument course but with the 3 guys im going with who are probably around 18hc id feel bad booking a $350+ course to watch them all shoot over 100. For sure I'm going to book The Boulders South course but after that it's up in the air

I know most answers will be "everywhere is good" and I know that but asking those of you who play there what's your favorite course and what is a MUST PLAY course for someone visiting. Only course I have no desire to play is TPC Scottsdale Stadium course. I dont wanna pay over $300 to play the 16th hole and have no grand stands although I hear the Champions course is pretty darn good too

If was booking today I had it narrowed to Boulders South, Quintero, and one of the We Ko Pa courses
Definitely recommend We Ko Pa! Quintero is way out west, but if in good shape, it's an awesome track. For munis, you can't go wrong with Aguila and Papago Park. The 2 courses at the JW Marriott - Desert Ridge, 2 courses at Grayhawk, and Legend Trail are all close by N. Scottsdale and all good.

Wekopa Saguaro was the 1 of the 2 courses I preferred if we decide to go there. Ak Chin was another option im considering bc it seems to be cheaper than most of the options

I read the same about Boulders. South has the views which is what im personally hoping for.... are either Talking Stick courses worth it or no?

The 4 of us are going for my bachelor party so we know were gonna spend some money but I dont want the others to pay $1,000 for 3 rounds of golf. Boulders, Wekopa, and Troon pinnacle put it around $900 if not more. Thats why im hoping to get some things booked now hoping it would be cheaper. I havent really found any sites that seem to plan it for you and be discounted
You would be better off going to Top Golf than Talking Stick! They are right next to each other.

Troon Card | Troon.com
oh ok so the Troon card lets you book Troon courses for cheaper? Seems like its only worth it if we do twilight....for me personally id be fine with that bc I wanna play 36 a day haha. doubt my buddies would be up for that but would be smart if we do that. Or play both Troon courses

These are my top courses in no particular order.
Wekopa- Saguro over Cholla
Troon North- pinnacle then monument
Sterling Grove
Verrado
Southern Dunes
Grayhawk
Legend Trail

any thoughts on the Westin Kierland?

Back