PGA Tour Pros in Shorts?

Not really a valid argument there (unless you're not being serious.)

The NFL has to wear pants. The knee pads are extremely important and totally unsafe without them.

In the MLB guys couldn't slide in shorts. They would tear up their legs.

What purpose to pants play to a golfer?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The White Sox used to wear shorts.

USED being the key word.

Honest question, why did they make the switch?

It was a gimmick. The White Sox are known for gimmicky things. I think they only did it for one game, against Kansas City.

The NFL has to wear pants. The knee pads are extremely important and totally unsafe without them.

It was more tongue in cheek but on the other hand, I don't see the need to form an argument in defense of the slacks. Purpose or usefulness doesn't much matter to me wrt the pros wearing slacks. I don't view them as a negative toward good play at all.

Any comparison I'd make to the other sports would have more to do with the apparent desired comfort rather than usefulness. I played football in full pads in searing heat, same for baseball. I think golfers wearing slacks can manage a walk in the park without too much stress.

Actually many NFL players cut off the pants at or just above the knee and use no knee pads.

Also, the NCAA women softball teams wear shorts and do slide with limited negative effect.

Actually many NFL players cut off the pants at or just above the knee and use no knee pads.

Also, the NCAA women softball teams wear shorts and do slide with limited negative effect.
That is ending. This season padding is mandatory.

I'm in a thread bumping mood tonight. And since I almost died from swamp ass yesterday on the course I decided that this little gem should be revisited.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I'm in a thread bumping mood tonight. And since I almost died from swamp ass yesterday on the course I decided that this little gem should be revisited.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Compression Shorts
Gold Bond Spray

#urwelcome

Proves my point. It doesn't matter what the caddies wear. Nobody remembers the caddy, unless it's Steve Williams, Bones MacKay, or Bruce Edwards.

Don't forget fluff!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Why should we?

Tell you the truth. My point I now almost 2 years old. I don't remember.

But it doesn't matter what the caddies wear because people don't remember the caddies. They're not the ones being marketed to sell the tour.

I don't think shorts would hurt the sponsors feelings at all. Look at NASCAR, they get in fistfights on pit road and you don't see sponsors pulling out. I think shorts would be no big deal.

Well, this question has always been a sore spot for me. I used to work for a stuffy GM that believed "if you are in the building you cannot wear shorts" that would be followed up by another statement "unless your in specific subgroup". Women in every profession are allowed to wear dress shorts, skirts, skorts, dresses or other clothing that shows below the thigh or knee. I will not compare men's dress standards to women's persay but men are expected to wear slacks and button down long sleeve shirts and a woman of the same level can wear a skirt and tank top.

Moving on... to the culture of my new employer is a much more "laid back" culture for expectations of business casual dress. I do not feel any less efficient because I wore jeans on friday. I do not feel any less creative, driven or able to do my job. No one looks at me and says, "this guy can't do his job because he is wearing jeans". No one looks at me and says "he is so unprofessional". I have gotten a promotion, I have moved up to the highest level I can right now. I have acquired the nickname "BOOM" by the highest management in my department. OBTW, the Senior VP... calls me BOOM. At no point did she look at me and say "OMG this guy wore shorts to an outdoor shoot... FIRE HIM"

Why am I going into this rant? I personally feel that people should be able to dress to the level that they need to dress dependent upon weather and job function. If a golfer looks at the weather and feels he will be more comfortable in shorts... so be it. None of us are that person. We cannot judge his personal comfort. WE need to stop judging people for their needs and let them do what they need to do let people do what they need to do within the restraints of the professional needs of their job.

For a golfer... let them wear dress shorts provided by their sponsor, a polo shirt with the most amazing cooling technology in the world and a hat or visor that keeps the sweat out of their eyes and the sun off their faces. Let them wear shoes that keep their feet comfortable (any color or whatever) that don't hurt the course. Let them do what they need to do to perform the BEST at their job. NONE of us wear pants to the course when it is 100 degrees... why should they?

IMHO, I don't feel any cooler wearing shorts while playing golf and I haven't found benefits to shorts.And yes,I wear pants in 105+ heat in arizona. call me nut's ,but im ok with that

light cotton / cool max long pants may in some cases be better than shorts for the sun/heat as it will also protect your legs from UV rays and getting burnt.

but i digress

pro golfers just don't look professional when playing in shorts, but it wouldn't bother me either way. shorts or longs for me.

Doesn't the USGA allow competitors to wear shorts in USGA events? Since the PGA follows the USGA's lead on other decisions (see: long putters, belly putters) they may as well blindly follow them on the shorts thing too.

The LPGA allows their players to wear shorts, maybe the PGA should allow their players to as well.

Am I the only one who thinks that the LPGA has more "relaxed" clothing restrictions just to get more men to watch? Not saying it's right, but the thought has crossed my mind SEVERAL times.

I have thought about this a few times and have wondered why they don't where shorts. I didn't know it was a rule. I reckon some of them would love to where shorts sometimes when it is real hot. I where shorts on the course all summer and most of winter in fact I think ive only worn pants twice this winter while playing golf. Do the caddies have to where shorts or do they have the option?

I personally believe that golfers should be allowed to wear shorts (not cargo) to play golf, they are athletes and they deserve to wear what helps them perform at the best of their abilities, if it were another sport where long pants give added protection to the athlete I would understand the ruling but in golf the only thing that pants do is to add discomfort to the players when high temperatures set in.

I'm all for shorts on the PGA Tour.

If they want to wear shorts let them ask for it properly. I don't want to hear a guy that makes 6 figures ever year to play a sport complain that it is hot, I wear long sleeves and pants everyday with an extra 50lbs of gear everyday in 110+ heat for 1/10th of the pay. Yes I signed the contract and volunteered to do it, but I still don't think that these pro's should be complaining about how easy they really do have it.

I think they should be allowed to wear shorts if they want, but pants do look "fancier". Plus, I'm sure the pants they wear are top of the line and cooler than what most of us would wear.

What you really gotta worry about in the heat is your underbritches. Boxers are a must, boxer briefs in the heat are terrible!

Back