PGA Tour Pros in Shorts?

Not in favor of it. It doesn't affect play whatsoever. The slacks look better.

Its just an old tradition and the opinion of some that shorts dont look dignified. I think they should be allowed to wear shorts too. I dont see what the issue is. I dont know that they would be any cooler in shorts because today's golf pants are so breathable that they are just as cool as shorts.
About why the ladies can wear shorts but the men cant, well, some would say that its because the old men who run the USGA dont exactly mind it when the ladies show off their legs. I would never say that, mind you but some would.

I'm neither here nor there on this one. I really could care less. At the same time I do feel like the Tour committee should let the players have a say in it and just go with the majority on the issue. How many times in the past few years have we seen players games suffer on the course because they were burning up hot and getting dehydrated because of it?

I don't have a problem with it. Properly done, shorts will look quite professional on the players. The entire golf playing world outside of the tour wears shorts when it's blistering hot out, why not let them?

Living here in SC, summertime is rough. It'll be 95+ for weeks on end, and always humid, and inevitably at some point in the afternoon it will rain hard for 5 minutes...then it stops, the sun comes out, and you can't even breathe it's so steamy. If you walk from your home to your car, you will be sweating. If you told me I couldn't golf if I didn't wear pants, I might give you a one-two piece!

With apparel technology what it is today, I don't see the issue with professionals wearing slacks in the summer. Its just not THAT much hotter having your knee to you ankle covered up by pant legs. Especially when its moisture wicking micro-fiber.

I'll be the first one to say that I would rather play in slacks every time I go out. I live in Kansas which means its hot and humid. In the middle of the summer I would still rather wear slacks. Its nice not getting bit in the legs by mosquitoes!

I think pros should be able to wear shorts and we are talking about all this new technology but we are trying to re-invent the bare leg but come on there will be nothing better than a bare leg to keep you cool. I would however say shorts are allowed unless playing in a major.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The whole it's tradition argument holds no water...unless you want them to go back to playing in a dress shirt a tie and vest the way Bobby Jones did. Put it to a vote of the tour members...majority rules.

With apparel technology what it is today, I don't see the issue with professionals wearing slacks in the summer. Its just not THAT much hotter having your knee to you ankle covered up by pant legs. Especially when its moisture wicking micro-fiber.

I'll be the first one to say that I would rather play in slacks every time I go out. I live in Kansas which means its hot and humid. In the middle of the summer I would still rather wear slacks. Its nice not getting bit in the legs by mosquitoes!

Moisture wick does nothing when its away from the skin. It creates a hot bubble of air around and up the thighs.

...unless you want them to go back to playing in a dress shirt a tie and vest the way Bobby Jones did.

That would be awesome! There should be an official PGA tournament with this requirement!!!!

That would be awesome! There should be an official PGA tournament with this requirement!!!!

As long as the lpga doesn't have to start playing in dresses again.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

I only wear slacks when I play. And that is in Houston, Texas. Humid as heck and I will always wear golf slacks. Just like the look better, looks more professional and these guys are indeed professional golfers.

Moisture wick does nothing when its away from the skin. It creates a hot bubble of air around and up the thighs.

People in hot climates laugh at the way tourists dress. We all wear shorts and tank tops and lather on sunscreen.

Meanwhile, they all walk around in long pants and loose fitting dress shirts. Why? Because keeping the sun off the skin is a big key to staying cool.

Now, with that said, a lot depends on humidity. You see people dressing like that in Africa. You do not see people dressing like that in the rainforest. Why? Humidity.

But, the point remains, using enough of the right fabric to keep the sun off your skin can do a lot more to keep you cool than exposing as much skin as possible.

Not in favor of it. It doesn't affect play whatsoever. The slacks look better.

Then why don't you wear long pants every time you play?

I know this has been brought up before, but does anyone want to see people in LoudMouth Shorts? Or how about Carl Peterson wearing shorts? I'm not against the idea, but it would take a while.

I wouldn't like them to wear shorts. I don't really have a reason. I just don't like the idea of it.

I know this has been brought up before, but does anyone want to see people in LoudMouth Shorts? Or how about Carl Peterson wearing shorts? I'm not against the idea, but it would take a while.
We have to see the lpga players in shorts, and some of them make me wish I didn't have hdtv.

I do find it funny how the word "professional" keeps coming up. I have never considered sports to be "professional". Why is that those of you who don't want shorts in the pga are alright with the polo shirts? When I think professional in the business sense, polo shirts need not apply.

generally I like wearing long pants, because the places I hit the ball from...I don't want bare skin rubbing against whatever may be in there. However, when it gets over 90* (and most of summer it is) that gets kinda tough.

I wear shorts 10 months a year. The other 60 days or so, it's wind pants. Golf slacks aren't in my wardrobe, and probably never will be.........

I wear shorts 10 months a year. The other 60 days or so, it's wind pants. Golf slacks aren't in my wardrobe, and probably never will be.........
i think i hate you. I live in the chicago area. We get to wear shorts for about a week, the rest of the time its winter coats.

Then why don't you wear long pants every time you play?

I do, whenever it's not ridiculously hot. However, if I played on the PGA tour, I would wear slacks without complaint regardless of temperature.

People in hot climates laugh at the way tourists dress. We all wear shorts and tank tops and lather on sunscreen.

Meanwhile, they all walk around in long pants and loose fitting dress shirts.
Why? Because keeping the sun off the skin is a big key to staying cool.

Now, with that said, a lot depends on humidity. You see people dressing like that in Africa. You do not see people dressing like that in the rainforest. Why? Humidity.

But, the point remains, using enough of the right fabric to keep the sun off your skin can do a lot more to keep you cool than exposing as much skin as possible.

This goes both ways, and I think has more to do with relative values than absolute ones. For instance, I'm from St. Louis, and if I travel to Jamaica in January I'll be used to 30 degree weather. 70 degrees is enough for me to wear shorts. Locals may very well be wearing their winter clothes, which are very different from mine.

Now, if someone should happen to follow me home, and we come back to 50 degree temperatures, I'll be in pants and a short sleeve top, but they'll most likely want a coat.

That's me too...except it's closer to 11 months a year down here...LOL

I do, whenever it's not ridiculously hot. However, if I played on the PGA tour, I would wear slacks without complaint regardless of temperature.

Oh, I'd still complain if I was on the PGA tour. I mean, there are lots of things I complain about in my current job, even though I knew what I was getting into before I started.

I'm indifferent. Maybe the sponsors have asked that this remain a requirement. I would imagine if the PGA Tour Players group rose a big enough fuss about it, it could get changed to be based on Heat Index. But, that would probably only happen for events that aren't majors, FEDEX eventts, WGC's or the TPC.

I should wear pants when golfing more than I do. I've had Poison Ivy put me in the hospital thanks to looking for a golfball in the native areas.

You all are smoking crack if you think pants are as cool or cooler than shorts in the heat and humidity of summer :D

Back