PGA Tour Payouts For Those Who Stayed

What does this mean?

• Appeasing PGA players because there is a PGA/LIV deal allowing LIV players to play on PGA.

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • Trying to keep PGA players from going to LIV.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Nothing

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
Once the hurt feelings subside, is this the first step in bringing the two tours back together? Knowing that there had to be some sort of "penalty" for those that went to LIV, could this be the first step in getting the "merge"?
I think you say anyone in LIV never gets ownership in the Tour.

No one is worth this kind of money! :eek:

I can't believe Tiger got more than Rory the mouthpiece of the PGA

Tiger resonates outside of golf substantially more 🤷‍♂️

Animated GIF

Tiger resonates outside of golf substantially more 🤷‍♂️
Of course I realize that but but he's barely been around, he just got paid for being an influencer while Rory did all the heavy lifting.

The PGAT reaction to all things LIV is asinine- nowhere along this whole split, has the Tour reaction been positive.

It's full on craptacular.....
No Problem Reaction GIF

He got docked $5 mil for every year he hasn’t one a major over the last 10 years.

Of course I realize that but but he's barely been around, he just got paid for being an influencer while Rory did all the heavy lifting.
fair point, although did he do a great job at that?

The decision was also made after Rory resigned from the board and seems to have a bit of an ex-boyfriend vibe going with Jay now.

If this was 6 months ago for sure Rory and Tiger get like 75 apiece, and Grayson Murray gets thrown into an oubliette

I think you say anyone in LIV never gets ownership in the Tour.

I think they'll need to be careful how they "punish" the players assuming a merger between the tours actually happens. If the parent company decides to fold LIV for example , then visibly punishes the players who went there, i would imagine this could be seen as actionable / improper conduct and anti-competitive. I'm not an expert in such matters though

The PGA tour is like 6 months away from announcing shotgun starts and 54 hole tournaments....

I know why they are doing all of this.....it's just very funny , and you have to poke fun at them for it, because they are basically doing everything they criticized LIV for doing in their heavy-handed, beat you over the head consulting firm comments of 2022 and 2023.

"A cut is essential!"
"We've added several new elevated no-cut events"

"We only eat what we kill"
"Here's 100M to a guy who's played like 7 total rounds in the last 2 years"

"We reward performance only! We're not an exhibition tour"
"So, we're introducing this thing called the PIP"

Like , can we just get shotgun starts on the PGA tour this year and skip a few steps?
Shotgun starts in shorts. :ROFLMAO:

To me, except for the 54 vs 72 hole difference, it now means the PGA tour is no different than the LIV tour.

This loyalty pay out could also spark some jealousy in other players, making their move to the LIV tour an easier decision.

To me, except for the 54 vs 72 hole difference, it now means the PGA tour is no different than the LIV tour.

This loyalty pay out could also spark some jealousy in other players, making their move to the LIV tour an easier decision.
I enjoy watching LIV golf, but it is and always will be a 2nd tier tour. Casual fans do not watch LIV.

I enjoy watching LIV golf, but it is and always will be a 2nd tier tour. Casual fans do not watch LIV.
I think in the US that is probably true. I believe globally you get a different response on the casual fans part.
At the current rate, they are both 2nd tier tours.

I think in the US that is probably true. I believe globally you get a different response on the casual fans part.
I agree with that. Outside of a handful of PGA fields this year, they have been a bit of a snooze fest.

I hear this global thing, but do you think globally golf just gets watched more period? Or do you think they are opting for LIV and not the PGA?

I agree with you here. Rory got (as bad as this is to say) shorted here big time IMO

Tiger is not really playing, and hasn’t for awhile and most likely won’t much in the future. Why 100m? Just because he’s Tiger?

I hear this global thing, but do you think globally golf just gets watched more period? Or do you think they are opting for LIV and not the PGA?
I actually do.
I think globally golf is doing just fine. Especially in spots.
I mean lets not forget until FedEx Cup became a thing, the Euro Tour, Asian Tour, etc were all alive and had stars on them.
Nobody in the US really got upset about the PGA Tour spending huge dollars to make every other tour second rate, because "they are all part of a family".

I think they'll need to be careful how they "punish" the players assuming a merger between the tours actually happens. If the parent company decides to fold LIV for example , then visibly punishes the players who went there, i would imagine this could be seen as actionable / improper conduct and anti-competitive. I'm not an expert in such matters though
I think punishment is a funny way to describe withholding ownership from guys who stabbed this Tour in the back and also already received cash payments totaling more than double what this ownership stake is worth.

They had no choice, for guys like Tiger it was simply a thank you for not screwing us royally, and he could have. But otherwise if LIV players are going to join the PGAT again like every LIV player and fan wants, this had to be done, can't have LIV guys who can barely make cuts on the PGAT tour with bags of riches teeing it off with guys who are real contenders but eating Ramen every night, that was never going to work, big problems, this sort of maybe makes those guys more malleable, a new house paid with cash works wonders for a persons attitude in life.

I don't like it either, but obviously they had to do it.

I think punishment is a funny way to describe withholding ownership from guys who stabbed this Tour in the back and also already received cash payments totaling more than double what this ownership stake is worth.

I don't believe companies can argue that employees leaving to go elsewhere for more money is "stabbing them in the back" in a legal sense.

I would agree that if the tours merged today, 1-time payouts to guys like Sheffler, Spieth etc i don't think are problematic at all, for the reasons you say. This was similar to what the courts said about LIV players original argument that the PGA tour was "preventing them from earning a living" or whatever their argument was. This was seen as silly

But barring people from equity forever, when that equity can grow several times over, especially being helped from people's contributions who are now (hypothetically) barred from getting equity....that could be seen as punishment that is overly discriminatory i would think---but again i'm not an expert in this

Back