One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

I demo'd a set of Cobra OL a few years ago, and I found this as well. Shots hit with 8i and above were some of the best I've ever hit. I was laughing at their launch.

6i-4i were not as good for me though, and all went very low with the same distance. Those results kept me from moving to OL. That said - I'm betting a few more years of research and tech would probably give me a much better result with those clubs.
The long irons in the Aerojet irons compared to my F7 OLs is night and day. I was good with the F7s, the Aerojet long irons are practically cheating.

The long irons in the Aerojet irons compared to my F7 OLs is night and day. I was good with the F7s, the Aerojet long irons are practically cheating.
I agree. The OL AJ were better than my original set of OL forged tec in every measurable way. I still hit the 5 iron a little low and replaced the 4i with a hybrid, but the height/distance combination was better for me than my set from a few years ago.

Cobra just keeps improving this segment. I wish fitters and retailers would support the vision better.

I just figured with Bryson being the poster golfer for these that with him leaving Cobra they may end that line. It only began because they signed him. Looks like it has some benefits at retail for them though! Else why would they keep them?

I would rather drink one of those Twinkie drinks than use single length irons.
Ryan Gosling Love GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

I just figured with Bryson being the poster golfer for these that with him leaving Cobra they may end that line. It only began because they signed him. Looks like it has some benefits at retail for them though! Else why would they keep them?

While I agree Bryson may have been the poster child for OL and Cobra for quite awhile- believe it's been mentioned around THP a couple times that the OL do extremely well for Cobra and have for awhile even without Bryson being around. I don't have all of the details or exact retail numbers but I do know that both JB and Yags have commented about their success around THP in the past.

Really happy to see Cobra is continuing with the One Length lineup

I keep wanting to try a OL 2 or 3 hybrid to hopefully address my terrible shortcomings with my current Calloway 3H - when I hit it square it’s a game changer, but it so rare for me to do so that it’s easily a net loss using that club right now. I hit my 7H pretty well so thinking once I got used to it, an OL could be what I need for that distance.

While I agree Bryson may have been the poster child for OL and Cobra for quite awhile- believe it's been mentioned around THP a couple times that the OL do extremely well for Cobra and have for awhile even without Bryson being around. I don't have all of the details or exact retail numbers but I do know that both JB and Yags have commented about their success around THP in the past.
You are correct. The segment and sales didn’t go away when Bryson did.

I demo'd a set of Cobra OL a few years ago, and I found this as well. Shots hit with 8i and above were some of the best I've ever hit. I was laughing at their launch.

6i-4i were not as good for me though, and all went very low with the same distance. Those results kept me from moving to OL. That said - I'm betting a few more years of research and tech would probably give me a much better result with those clubs.
It won’t. It’s a physics problem. You have to have enough club head speed to get proper gapping on the top of the single length irons (with an off the rack set). If you don’t have sufficient club head speed (really it’s ball speed + spin rate), then you need to adjust the lofts of the clubs to make it right. The easiest way to do it without going through and customizing clubs to optimize ball flight is to simply go until your distances run together and then make the switch from OL irons to OL hybrids.

If your speed maxes out at 6i, then you would simply add a 4h and a 3h. Those clubs will give you more distance because they add more mass in the head.

I think for most of those wondering about swinging them and feeling weird, after about 2 rounds you don't even notice anymore. I think it's way overblown. I will say I went 8 iron length with mine and stopped at PW but I have had zero issue feeling like the PW is crazy long or the 6i is crazy short. I pull an iron just like always and hit the ball

I think for most of those wondering about swinging them and feeling weird, after about 2 rounds you don't even notice anymore. I think it's way overblown. I will say I went 8 iron length with mine and stopped at PW but I have had zero issue feeling like the PW is crazy long or the 6i is crazy short. I pull an iron just like always and hit the ball
For me, it takes a lot of the thinking out of moving from a short iron to a long iron. I know it's cliche to say it allows the the same swing, because how many actually have different swings for different irons?

For me, I would always adjust my stance accordingly, to or from the ball, with a short iron to a long iron. I like with OLs I have the same setup at the ball, regardless of what iron or wedge is in hand.

For me, it takes a lot of the thinking out of moving from a short iron to a long iron. I know it's cliche to say it allows the the same swing, because how many actually have different swings for different irons?

For me, I would always adjust my stance accordingly, to or from the ball, with a short iron to a long iron. I like with OLs I have the same setup at the ball, regardless of what iron or wedge is in hand.
There is no doubt. Think about this, most golfers can’t break 100 (especially if score was properly kept and rules were properly followed - OB, ball down, etc). It’s fair to say, whatever their feeling over standard clubs isn’t “good”, it’s familiar. There is zero chance the average golfer wouldn’t get better by having the exact same setup: posture, ball position, distance from ball for every shot. Zero.

It defies logic. They can’t practice enough and with traditional clubs they have to practice every club to get good. So they divide practice with all of their clubs, each club has a different posture, ball position, distance from ball, swing plane. With single length clubs 100 swings with any club is 100 swings with every club. It’s more efficient period.

As I see it, it doesn’t matter. People will have a mental block because other than Bryson, you don’t see top players with single length clubs. Their logic tells them that if the best in the world aren’t doing it, neither should they.

Meanwhile, they will skull short irons. Fat the heck out of long irons. Have no touch out of thick rough or around greens…it’s a trainwreck.

They can’t practice enough and with traditional clubs they have to practice every club to get good. So they divide practice with all of their clubs, each club has a different posture, ball position, distance from ball, swing plane. With single length clubs 100 swings with any club is 100 swings with every club. It’s more efficient period.
this exactly

There is no doubt. Think about this, most golfers can’t break 100 (especially if score was properly kept and rules were properly followed - OB, ball down, etc). It’s fair to say, whatever their feeling over standard clubs isn’t “good”, it’s familiar. There is zero chance the average golfer wouldn’t get better by having the exact same setup: posture, ball position, distance from ball for every shot. Zero.

It defies logic. They can’t practice enough and with traditional clubs they have to practice every club to get good. So they divide practice with all of their clubs, each club has a different posture, ball position, distance from ball, swing plane. With single length clubs 100 swings with any club is 100 swings with every club. It’s more efficient period.

As I see it, it doesn’t matter. People will have a mental block because other than Bryson, you don’t see top players with single length clubs. Their logic tells them that if the best in the world aren’t doing it, neither should they.

Meanwhile, they will skull short irons. Fat the heck out of long irons. Have no touch out of thick rough or around greens…it’s a trainwreck.
That's actually a really good way of looking at it

this exactly
Thing is, you still get bad stretches with single length clubs too. It’s still golf. However, it’s so much easier to find your way back from “lost” because all you need is one feel and it works for every club in the bag. That applies in a round too. So much easier to find something to get through a round.

100% exactly my thoughts on it. Does it work for everyone, no, but for a lot of people it can be quite the benefit.

My last set was 8 iron length and I miss the OL, especially after rereading this thread.

When if first jumped in OL it was definitely for the idea of practicing one iron swing. I didn't have a home setup and as a primary hobby/exercise much prefer walking nine to practice. Now with a garage setup and WFH practicing all 14 clubs and playing 9 isn't something to choose between. But I really like hitting my 8 iron and saw some evidence I'm statistically better with one too, which prompted me to switch back last year.

I tend to agree with Cobra's philosophy that I'm not truly making identical swings with each different iron, but "just make an 8 iron swing" is the thought I come back to on all OL clubs and is really helpful.

While obviously I am a proponent to a degree of single length clubs, one note is that while not much of the above is not accurate, the bit of info missing is that speed can be necessary to help as lofts get lower. And one way to create that is more length. In some ways its the entire basis on why variable length exists, so more speed can be created as less loft is available.

Back