Odyssey Putters 2012

I hate that their grips dont last for more than a 6 or 7 rounds before shreadding...

Well, after all the raving about the Metal X's lately and Jman even bought a #6, I went to GS today and spent about 45 mins rolling the #6, and #7 and didn't really care for them at all. Maybe i'm spoiled my by my current putter, but it felt soft and wasn't getting them to the hole very easily. I really liked the look of the #6, kind of a mix b/w the wide #1 with a flow neck but just didn't feel good to me.

Starting to right the ship with my putting, and this putter. I've been working with it a bunch in the past week and it hopefully has started to pay off. Had 9 2-putts in league tonight, which isn't sexy but was solid for me with how I've been putting lately. It also led to a win and a score of 42 which is great for me, and my best score in this league ever (third season). I'm actually quite liking the AVS jumbo grip even if it is boring looking. It has helped to quiet my hands which I think is huge. My main goal tonight was to leave everything close which I was able to do on all but one hole where I was able to make the comeback putt so it wasn't too big of a deal. If things continue to improve like this for me I can see this putter staying in my bag long term.

Took my newly adjusted flat to the putting greens tonight after a little range time. I needed to practice some of the new mechanics that were given to me during my fitting and work on distance. I came away feeling pretty darn good about the practice and re-learning my distance control with all the changes that were made. I could come pretty close with knowing where it would end up around or in the cup. I was more focused on distance, but all the changes also seemed to help me with reads and getting most every putt within two feet on putts over 20 feet (sinking some as well) and was extremely confident with putts under 6. Good green day!

I hate that their grips dont last for more than a 6 or 7 rounds before shreadding...

Serious question....

How do you shred a putter grip? You must have the grip pressure of the Hulk or something.

Well, I love the way the metal-x #7 rolled for me yesterday.

I putted a fantastic 20 putts, on 9 holes (the group I was with ran 22-26 on some of the toughest greens I have ever played). I left 2 putts one revolution short of the cup, and only twice left myself with a putt longer than when I started. The greens on this particular course are always very fast, and the way the greens were built means there are no good pin positions. If you are above the hole and you don't make the putt, you are in trouble.

Eitherway, the putter rolled very true and I am getting adjusted to distance control. I have no doubt that it will be replacing the WH #7 as my putter of choice here very soon.

Serious question....

How do you shred a putter grip? You must have the grip pressure of the Hulk or something.

This is what my grip looks like now... All the rubber coating eventually peeled off. I think the rubber started to tear when I put other clubs in my bag and their grip would rub against the putter grip. My next bag will have full length dividers. Once it started to tear it all peeled off pretty quickly.
grip.jpg

This is what my grip looks like now... All the rubber coating eventually peeled off. I think the rubber started to tear when I put other clubs in my bag and their grip would rub against the putter grip. My next bag will have full length dividers. Once it started to tear it all peeled off pretty quickly.
grip.jpg

That is crazy! Thanks for the reply and pic dude.

Yes, this putter ho would be muy irritated. Good thing the stock grip will be cut off mine as soon as it gets here haha.

Finally made it to the local golf shop to try a few of the putters mentioned here. I really went in wanting to look at the #7 after reading so much about it here, but it just didn't feel right for me. I ended up really liking the way the Metal X DART rolled for me...I will make one more trio to the store and play with them before making a decision.

Brandon

Mine won't be here till Friday it looks like. Good thing though as a first round with a new putter on a new course and it being with THP'er would not be a good thing.

Mine won't be here till Friday it looks like. Good thing though as a first round with a new putter on a new course and it being with THP'er would not be a good thing.

Haha yeah we want your big move to OEM putters to go well.

Haha yeah we want your big move to OEM putters to go well.

I know right? I'm pretty excited about it as its a no lose. I like it and I roll it or I get what I've got in it back out of it.

Trying to decide if I want to put a black putter shaft on it since I've got a couple extras laying around, or maybe a UST FF putter shaft. I like to tinker.

I rolled the Metal X line for the first time yesterday. Good insert, but not great. There were other insert putters I liked a lot better, namely the Pure Roll in Taylormade's putters. I could easily see myself with one of these since I love some of the head shapes, but if I had a choice I think there are others I'd get first.

I rolled the Metal X line for the first time yesterday. Good insert, but not great. There were other insert putters I liked a lot better, namely the Pure Roll in Taylormade's putters. I could easily see myself with one of these since I love some of the head shapes, but if I had a choice I think there are others I'd get first.
Pure Roll better than Metal X? Really? Wow, first i've heard that one, and I am a fan of the Pure Roll insert.

Pure Roll better than Metal X? Really? Wow, first i've heard that one, and I am a fan of the Pure Roll insert.

Yeah I really enjoyed it, especially in the Manta. I found it to be much softer than the Metal X, which I really liked. If I had to give one criticism of the MX, it's that it felt a bit harsh to me. And I didn't like the sound a ton either.

Me too from all the places I've read thoughts from. But, everyone is different and I think that is especially true with inserts.

At least these aren't butt ugly white though! Hehehe

Yeah I really enjoyed it, especially in the Manta. I found it to be much softer than the Metal X, which I really liked. If I had to give one criticism of the MX, it's that it felt a bit harsh to me. And I didn't like the sound a ton either.
Ok, I see what you are saying now. I prefer a milled putter, not an insert, so obviously I like the MX a good bit.

Me too from all the places I've read thoughts from. But, everyone is different and I think that is especially true with inserts.

At least these aren't butt ugly white though! Hehehe
Inserts are definitely hit or miss for most, but the MX doesnt make me think I am hitting an insert at all, which is why I think I like it so much.

Ok, I see what you are saying now. I prefer a milled putter, not an insert, so obviously I like the MX a good bit.

Inserts are definitely hit or miss for most, but the MX doesnt make me think I am hitting an insert at all, which is why I think I like it so much.

Ah, that DOES make more sense D.

I'm like you WE, I prefer a milled putter naturally (and actually like the feel of an aluminum face too) so you and others comments on the face not feeling like a true insert are what sold me on it. I'm excited to see.

Yeah I enjoy a good milled putter too. Like my #8 a lot and rolled a Scooter which I loved. The MX was somewhere in between I think for me.

Maybe it was because they had no lefty MX mallets and I apparently have a newfound love for mallets. Who knows. I'll have to try to find time to roll it again soon, hopefully the #7 (even though I think it's ugly as all sin).

Ah, that DOES make more sense D.

I'm like you WE, I prefer a milled putter naturally (and actually like the feel of an aluminum face too) so you and others comments on the face not feeling like a true insert are what sold me on it. I'm excited to see.
Im pretty interested in your thoughts as well dude. When was the last time you actually gamed a putter with an insert? It's been a year or two for me, and going to the Metal X was an easy move, will be interesting to hear how it works for you.

Im pretty interested in your thoughts as well dude. When was the last time you actually gamed a putter with an insert? It's been a year or two for me, and going to the Metal X was an easy move, will be interesting to hear how it works for you.

Oh, about a year and a half with the SeeMore SI insert which I actually liked quite a bit. I'm intrigued, I love the look of the #6 so its halfway there.

Has anyone tried out the Odyssey PROTYPE TOUR Series #9?? It's got me pondering...[h=1][/h]

Taking the Metal X #7 out for round number 3 tomorrow. So far in my rounds I have had 25 putts (18 holes) and 11 putts (9 holes). Really hoping this trend continues. Having confidence in a putter is key for a great round of golf, and so far the MX has done that for me.

Taking the Metal X #7 out for round number 3 tomorrow. So far in my rounds I have had 25 putts (18 holes) and 11 putts (9 holes). Really hoping this trend continues. Having confidence in a putter is key for a great round of golf, and so far the MX has done that for me.

Dang those are some fine numbers dude. Confidence in a putter like you say is vital, happy it is working so good for you.

--
Tapatalk2

Playing 18 tomorrow? Lets set a goal of 26 putts this time. Make it happen!

I didnt keep my stats for the 18 I played on the Browns Thursday but even on those awful greens the Metal X was very good. I scared the hole all day.

Back