Nike SQ MachSpeed Driver

I just held this driver in hand and almost fell in love. I love the aesthetics. It's 2010 people!

Two questions for JB and or GG.

1) Will they offer a variety of shafts that are easy to interchange similar to an imix or r9 setup?

2) Being a square head that us suppose to promote more forgiveness thus straighter drives, why do you think it was unable to crack the top 5 in the driver shootout for accuracy?

The shaft lineup will be similar to that of the Str8 fit. But you can send any shaft into them and have an adapter put on for a small fee.

I cannot answer the question about the accuracy. But there were some great drivers in the shoot out this year, with this being one of them. It did do extremely well in distance though.

This driver is sweet.

That is all.

After using these a little more for review purposes, I do prefer the MachSpeed to the VR. Both are quite good, but I get a little more distance out of the MachSpeed.

Interesting. I have been wanting to get a new driver for a while now though....

I proposed to my girlfriend....but without a ring since I can't afford one so that is now the first thing on my list to get...

I have to say though...I really want one of these or Cleveland DST or FT-iz were all on my list of things to try...

GAH....women....well....woman now

Interesting. I have been wanting to get a new driver for a while now though....

I proposed to my girlfriend....but without a ring since I can't afford one so that is now the first thing on my list to get...

I have to say though...I really want one of these or Cleveland DST or FT-iz were all on my list of things to try...

GAH....women....well....woman now

Haha, I feel you man! Just got married in June, laid off in September, and found out in December we are expecting. Take that!

The good thing is, tax returns are coming! We're paying off a computer, but then she gets some spending cash and I do too... so, that cash is either going to a new shaft for my burner... or toward a new driver... probably a machspeed if I buy a new one.

Also, would just like to point out that I had the Previous square nike driver - the 5900 and the Machspeed feels much smaller, not as big and bulky.

The problem I ran into with the 5900 was ballooning. Hoping this one doesn't do that.

Another question JB might be able to answer. Sorry for pestering you.

I noticed the Machspeed has an AxivCore shaft. Is this specially made for the Machspeed? It's not the tour green, tour black, blue, or red right?

Ya know, as many drivers as JB has hit, the R9 still stays in the bag... that seems to say a lot for the R9. Although, it may just be what works for him. That's what it's all about, finding that trusty driver...

Never a bother. The shaft is a design that is made for Nike. Yeah, the R9 is still in my bag right now and I have hit just about every driver that has come out since that I got that one early last year. In fact we got the R9 and R9 TP back in January of 09, well before they were released and it has been in there ever since.

Yeah, the R9 is still in my bag right now and I have hit just about every driver that has come out since that I got that one early last year. In fact we got the R9 and R9 TP back in January of 09, well before they were released and it has been in there ever since.

With that being said, what is it that makes you hang on to that R9 JB? And, don't count the shaft, because you could put the miyazaki in another driver. The Machspeed seems to have gotten your attention with it's distance.

I hit an FT-IQ for the first time today... How do the Machspeed and FT-IQ compare? Machspeed seem any better than the FT-IQ?

Man I can't wait til demo days!

With that being said, what is it that makes you hang on to that R9 JB? And, don't count the shaft, because you could put the miyazaki in another driver. The Machspeed seems to have gotten your attention with it's distance.

I hit an FT-IQ for the first time today... How do the Machspeed and FT-IQ compare? Machspeed seem any better than the FT-IQ?

Man I can't wait til demo days!

The R9 just works for my game. It has a solid feel and sound that few do and I love everything about it right now. Mine is pretty beat up, so I am not sure it will stay in there for much longer, but right now it is my gamer.

I really like the MachSpeed. The length and accuracy for me were outstanding. I preferred it to the FT-iQ quite a bit. But that is more due to its adjustability. THe FT-iQ is a great driver, but working the ball with it is very hard to do.

You haven't let me down yet JB. Thanks for your help and for this great forum.

Trust me, there is nothing logical about buying the Machspeed driver; I've seen it already in person and also hit it as well.

It will be in the closeout bin by August. It's that ugly.

Not nearly as ugly as the matching fairway woods and hybrids, mind you, but still very ugly.

Get the VR if you've got to have a Nike driver. Nobody will laugh at you then.

That quote came from another thread, but I think posts like that are far fetched. Come on, closeout bin by August? Don't let the looks overpower the function.

Furthermore, I don't think it's not ugly. I actually think it's beautiful. You're going to have to get used to more modern looking designs on drivers and irons.

Time to play two more questions for JB...

Str8fit: Can you adjust the loft? Say, if I buy a 9.5 can I bring it down to 8.5?

Secondly, I noticed today that this club has somewhat of an odd lie angle. At adress, it looks like the toe is way up in the air as opposed to being level and square. Did you notice that during testing?

That quote came from another thread, but I think posts like that are far fetched. Come on, closeout bin by August? Don't let the looks overpower the function.

Furthermore, I don't think it's not ugly. I actually think it's beautiful. You're going to have to get used to more modern looking designs on drivers and irons.

It's obvious the person that made that quote has some kind of vendetta against Nike, or something along those lines.

What he said has no merit and is purely his opinion.

Don't let crap like that steer you away from something you like.

I addressed that one in the other thread. He's way off.

Time to play two more questions for JB...

Str8fit: Can you adjust the loft? Say, if I buy a 9.5 can I bring it down to 8.5?

Secondly, I noticed today that this club has somewhat of an odd lie angle. At adress, it looks like the toe is way up in the air as opposed to being level and square. Did you notice that during testing?

No you cannot adjust the loft, however by opening and closing a driver face, it will change the "playable" loft. I have not noticed the toe being up in the air really. I will check that out today at the range.

It's obvious the person that made that quote has some kind of vendetta against Nike, or something along those lines.

What he said has no merit and is purely his opinion.

Don't let crap like that steer you away from something you like.

We have them both here at THP evidently, people like that, who are way off base and people that swear a company could take a dump, stamp a logo on it, call it art and the fans would jump for joy.

Last edited:
people that swear a company could take a dump, stamp a logo on it, call it art and the fans would jump for joy.

Sounds like Apple.....but that's for another thread...:alien2:

JB, Did you ever notice a weird lie angle, like the toe looks a little high to you?

JB, Did you ever notice a weird lie angle, like the toe looks a little high to you?

I really do not notice that. It seems fine. Still going through some testing and I will use it tomorrow and let you know if I notice anything else.

I tested the Machspeed this evening and noticed the high tow angle. In fact, I was discussing this and after making a change with the adjusting wrench, I noticed a slight lowering of the tow angle. Not much at all, and perhaps it was because the club head was more open that seem to make the toe angle less severe.

Trying this outl the club set up was a bit high (toe angle) than I like but I will say that I did see some increase in club head head. The head looks smaller than my current driver which is the Dymo Str8t Fit Square head(last years model). Although it says 460 cc on the Machspeed, it just looked smaller. From what I understand if the loft is below 10.5 the head is actually 430cc (according to Nike).

Swinging the club it felt nice, heavier than my current Nike. What I just did not like was the sound it made. To me, it sounded more like the older driver Nike came out with a couple years ago...The Sasquatch I think. It was not quite like that, but it was the closest I could compare it to. Used my current NIke and the sound was more suttle and "Pinged" more. I was in an enclosed area so that may have had something to do with the sound.

I did hit this a bit straighter, but not that much farther than my current Nike. I found out I was actually hitting a stiff shaft and I need a regular shat so I will try it again with the proper shaft to compare todays results.

All in all, it was a solid driver that I am sure many will like. I will have to try it a few more times to make a final decision. Nike is running a special and if you buy the driver they are giving $75 in coupons for Nike stuff.

I don't know

I don't know

not for me. something about a square headed driver just bothers me. kinda like trying to hit a baseball with a square bat! just doesn't seem right.

I used to think the same thing, but the Nike Sq head has worked for me.

Keith, does not that much farther mean, a little farther? So it is indeed a little straighter and farther?

+1...I've found it to be straighter and more forgiving than traditional shaped drivers

Keith, does not that much farther mean, a little farther? So it is indeed a little straighter and farther?

But is a little straighter and a little farther enough to justify buying a new driver?

Maybe when he puts the correct shaft in he will hit it a lot straighter and a lot farther and then it might be more easily justified. :D I actually want to hear what Keith says about it when he hits with the right shaft for him in it.

I'm getting closer and closer to a square head driver with every review I read about them.

But is a little straighter and a little farther enough to justify buying a new driver?

Maybe not for him... But possibly for me. Plus I'm interested in the $75 gift card to put towards the new Machspeed hybrid!

I'm getting closer and closer to a square head driver with every review I read about them.

For what it's worth, I've owned a titleist 975j, big Bertha, SQ2 Sumo Squared 5900, and 09 burner in that order.

I liked the 5900 but started ballooning balls and switched to the 09 Burner which I love. However, good reviews, JB saying he liked the Machspeed over the VR, NikeGolf liking it, and me being drawn to new equipment makes me want it!!!

Plus like I said, $75 toward a new hybrid or whatever you like is a nice deal.

Back