I mean, the drawings looked good but they still don’t have a rink. I’m sure the league is getting all kinds of pressure from other owners with revenue sharing considerations.

If they do go to Utah and I were from Quebec City, I’d be upset.

Bettman just delaying the inevitable. Putting a team in Phoenix was a failure. Salt Lake will give better support instantly.

I just want them to bring back the
happy ice hockey GIF by NHL
Great logo. I went to a couple Whalers games in Hartford.

Absolutely ridiculous. End the Phoenix thing. It just doesn't work. Building an arena isn't going to fill it. If the actual team isn't good, you better have one hell of a good experience for the fans.

If anyone followed earlier in the year, there was talk/threats of Winnipeg having problems again, because this year their attendance sucks, and has gone downhill steadily since the first couple of seasons when they came back. One of the smallest arenas in the league, one of the worst attendance numbers in the league, but if you listen to the actual fans here ONE OF THE WORST FAN EXPERIENCES as well. The team apologized and said they were going to try to address things, and that they were committed to being in WPG (we all know that means until they choose to not be).

Winning and losing is one thing, but if the fans aren't there to support you, it isn't going to work.

Some of the talk here is that The Smith Group, who has controlling ownership interest in the Jazz and is looking to bring the NHG, MLB or both to Salt Lake City, is going to build a new arena for the NHL team that would also be a new arena for the Jazz and move it 40 minutes south of Salt Lake City and closer to what is known as Utah County (Where Provo and BYU are located). Utah County has developed a reputation as a hotbed for high tech and other modern business ventures, is growing rapidly and is where Ryan Smith, the owner of the Smith Group, lives. This would be a major hit to Salt Lake City and would definitely impact my willingness to purchase Jazz tickets.

Absolutely ridiculous. End the Phoenix thing. It just doesn't work. Building an arena isn't going to fill it. If the actual team isn't good, you better have one hell of a good experience for the fans.

If anyone followed earlier in the year, there was talk/threats of Winnipeg having problems again, because this year their attendance sucks, and has gone downhill steadily since the first couple of seasons when they came back. One of the smallest arenas in the league, one of the worst attendance numbers in the league, but if you listen to the actual fans here ONE OF THE WORST FAN EXPERIENCES as well. The team apologized and said they were going to try to address things, and that they were committed to being in WPG (we all know that means until they choose to not be).

Winning and losing is one thing, but if the fans aren't there to support you, it isn't going to work.
It sounds like you are saying building an arena is going to fil it if fan experience is there haha.

If they don't win the land auction, they're done in AZ. Smart of the NHL to be prepared for this to potentially happen.

Bad look for Bettman who insisted on keeping them in AZ years past the point when literally everyone else in the world knew that market wasn't going to be able to support them.

Looked into going to a game when I was in Phoenix and wondered why they were playing @ ASU. Was still going to go but they were playing Vegas and tix were outrageous.

This is not surprising to me at all. Utah has expressed interest in having an NHL team and has the arena for a team asap. The Coyotes ownership has some type of land bid for a new arena and will find out if they got it june. The NHL commissioner wants to have a team Arizona it is the 14th largest market so they are exhausting all options. These non-traditional hockey markets are producing elite NHL players. No arena deal in Zona they have to move the NHLPA cannot let the team play in college arena that isn't up to NHL standards.

The NHL wants to go back to Atlanta, which in my opinion they will do. The market size is to big not to have team and the owners love the expansion fee money.

It sounds like you are saying building an arena is going to fil it if fan experience is there haha.
Not even. If the fan experience was good, tailgating, events, promotions etc, they could fill the facility, whatever size it was. Building doesn't equal fans. Effort, marketing, and buy-in from the fans fixes the experience.

The arena would be an easier pill to swallow if they knew they could fill it, but that has always been an issue. The market there just doesn't work for hockey anymore, and they should 100% move.

I know it is a completely different sport, but if the Oakland A's ownership changed, would it automatically fill a ball park? As much as they want to say fans stay away from ownership, I don't buy it. Ownership would need to change, and fan experience would need to change.... but a new facility doesn't fix it, it provides opportunity to fix it.

The Daily Faceoff article gives a little better understanding of the situation regarding them proposed arena and keeping the team in Phoenix or moving to SLC.

If they move to Utah - they will save money on logo switch. Will only need to change 1 letter in their name. The "Yotes" to the "Yutes". Simple.

Not even. If the fan experience was good, tailgating, events, promotions etc, they could fill the facility, whatever size it was. Building doesn't equal fans. Effort, marketing, and buy-in from the fans fixes the experience.

The arena would be an easier pill to swallow if they knew they could fill it, but that has always been an issue. The market there just doesn't work for hockey anymore, and they should 100% move.

I know it is a completely different sport, but if the Oakland A's ownership changed, would it automatically fill a ball park? As much as they want to say fans stay away from ownership, I don't buy it. Ownership would need to change, and fan experience would need to change.... but a new facility doesn't fix it, it provides opportunity to fix it.
Small Market teams are going to continue to be doomed without structure in place to level the playing field.
Hockey has done that. Arizona could support, but frankly they haven't shown to support any team, so its kind of tough.

Well I hope they get the stadium deal and stay in AZ. The market is big enough there but that tin can they play in isn't helping.

One reason the NHL still wants to stick with Arizona is it is a big market and only getting bigger. If they can solve the Arena issue, and just have time to grow the fan base, it could be a big win.

I remember when FLA and TB were having issues and people wanted them to relocate as well. Now look, they are 2 of the more attractive franchises. and a lot of NHL players want to move there.

FWIW, I agree with them. A team should be there to build the sport in that culture with so many transplants, but they havent supported any local teams in a bit.

F U Tempe residents.

Hopefully they win the land bid in Scottsdale and build that amazing facility 8 miles from my house.

Bettman just delaying the inevitable. Putting a team in Phoenix was a failure. Salt Lake will give better support instantly.
Phoenix was not the problem. Glendale was.

Back