JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is pretty wild to me.
Not that the Coyotes could be moving, but that the league is now drafting two schedules in the chance it happens.

I still don't grasp or comprehend how this is even allowed to happen, for the fans and the local economy.

One rich person just goes, nope, done with here, moving over here now.

I supported the Yotes when living in PHX (even thought I am a Avalanche fan first). But Phoenix is such a transplant town, it always felt like the away team was the home team. I think the move to SLC is probably the right one.

I was gonna say they must not have that great of attendance? Phoenix always seemed like an odd hockey city.

It's still a very weird situation to be making two schedules though.

Unfortunately I think the writing was on the wall when they didn’t get a new arena. You can only play in the small arena they are for so long. It’s not a great look for the NHL to have a team in a college barn long term

Didn’t they just figure out their plans for a new arena like a week ago??

• Admin
I still don't grasp or comprehend how this is even allowed to happen, for the fans and the local economy.

One rich person just goes, nope, done with here, moving over here now.
Thats not really what is happening here.

Didn’t they just figure out their plans for a new arena like a week ago??
I thought so?

I supported the Yotes when living in PHX (even thought I am a Avalanche fan first). But Phoenix is such a transplant town, it always felt like the away team was the home team. I think the move to SLC is probably the right one.
exactly. The Yotes want a new arena but the lack of fan support just doesn't merit it. Yes the move to SLC is their really only option. Also the D-Backs need to upgrade their stadium and the Suns will be seeking funds for their upgrade in a couple of years.

cant blame them if they move. Arizona never seemed like a hockey town/state. They have been bottom 3 attendance for at least 15 years

The land they want to build the arena on in N Phoenix is going up for auction on June 27th.

cant blame them if they move. Arizona never seemed like a hockey town/state. They have been bottom 3 attendance for at least 15 years
Im not sure I agree with the hockey town/state.
People said that about FL too and now most of the players want to go there and its a massive hockey state.

People said that about FL too and now most of the players want to go there and its a massive hockey state.
All the guys in the cubicles around me at work have their sons/daughters in hockey. The kids will grow up to be paying fans. It is a growth sport here they just need some stability from the NHL team.

Based on attendance in the other major sports - It seems like a systemic thing moreso than a hockey-specific thing.

Even last year, where they made it to a World Series - They were in the bottom 1/3 in attendance

I just want them to bring back the
happy ice hockey GIF by NHL

That's pretty nuts they have the schedule folks working two sides. Not a great look for the NHL.

That’s pretty crazy. I have a hard time believing the Coyotes have a future in AZ

wow never would have guessed the panthers are top 10 attendance. i dont know what it is then. i know they're in the ASU arena now but did the last stadium suck? They've made the playoffs once in the last 12 years so maybe that's killing interest?

Regarding winning and playoffs, Tampa Bay is what confuses me. The Lightning are a top team attendance wise yet the Rays are bottom 3 in attendance every year despite consistently putting out winning teams

Based on attendance in the other major sports - It seems like a systemic thing moreso than a hockey-specific thing.

Even last year, where they made it to a World Series - They were in the bottom 1/3 in attendance
Correct.
Small Market where fans come from other places and don't embrace, instead say how everything was better back home.

Typically 2 generations in modern times to support in those types of environments. We aren't there yet in MLB and with the small vs large troubles, they have no shot long term with fans.

I just want them to bring back the
happy ice hockey GIF by NHL
Hartford? The Whale? They only beat Vancouver, once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

I thought I just saw recently where the new arena was approved?
Maybe it was just a proposal. It looked awesome

It'll be interesting to see if they do come to Utah. I know the minor league hockey in Utah (Grizzlies) has a pretty big fan base. They are just itching to have an NHL team.

Im not real up to speed on the situation but from what we are going through with the Browns and their new stadium saga, could this just be owner vs city and the league wanting to cover their own tail because of it?

There is a lot of buzz about it here locally.

Back