New Callaway CB Wedges

I remember taking these out to the chipping green for this situation and being pleasantly surprised with how well it handled it. I still struggle with how much these are going to spin from time to time and with distance control. I mean they're ultra forgiving, so I'm not expecting precision, but I was happy with what I saw from flop shots. The grind is really well done and gets under the ball easily. I think you'll be impressed.
That’s the hope. Getting underneath to pop over a bunker or obstacle gear free is the goal.

Got out to play the other day. It was a mixture of frozen solid greens and really soft wet surrounding areas. Then just outside that ring was solid as a rock ground. The best way to describe it was a dartboard of nonsense.
It was a bit of a struggle hitting approach shots that weren’t fairway woods. The 54 and 58 CB wedges were unbelievable through all of it. I’ll spare the pictures of shot scope but twice in the round these worked so well from 24 and 27 yards that I was able to 1 putt.

My complete downward swing didnt have any issues like it normally would on really solid ground. These popped them up and got them running. Not a single flubbed chip on the day. It was a strange feeling. The bounce on these somehow (science? Wizardry?) somehow works in either condition and never “rolls over”

It’s not quite a bump and run, and certainly not a land and spin club. It’s just a get up (more than a bump) and jog (less than a run). Really hard to describe but they are an absolute stroke saver.

Just as an aside for anyone trying these and they are cutting to the right: My first shots back in December went sideways on the fitting range. My regular irons are 65G shafts. The fitter worked until I was hitting them nice and high. 80G regular flex. These have been money since.

It’s not quite a bump and run, and certainly not a land and spin club. It’s just a get up (more than a bump) and jog (less than a run). Really hard to describe but they are an absolute stroke saver.

Just as an aside for anyone trying these and they are cutting to the right: My first shots back in December went sideways on the fitting range. My regular irons are 65G shafts. The fitter worked until I was hitting them nice and high. 80G regular flex. These have been money since.
It sounds like you came away with a very solid setup at the top of your bag here. I think people hear "CB" wedge and automatically assume the forgiveness is really focused on off-center impact, but having something in a sole that eliminates or mitigates heavy contact is game changing.

It sounds like you came away with a very solid setup at the top of your bag here. I think people hear "CB" wedge and automatically assume the forgiveness is really focused on off-center impact, but having something in a sole that eliminates or mitigates heavy contact is game changing.
That’s a really good point. It must be impossible to market this thing because of that thought process.
it really helps with those “too much turf” on a turf free lie or the opposite in the taller wetter stuff as well as an off center or bad shot.
I’m sure there’s a word for it but i can’t describe it except it prevents the club from “getting away from me” and not doing that dead right squib shot as a result.

I think that was the biggest benefit for me when I was testing these wedges. The digging and chucked shots were far less than normal and helped save strokes.

I had the chance to get the CB wedge and Jaws Raw on the launch monitor the other day just to look at some spin numbers. I know at times it felt like the CBs spun a little less, but it’s pretty darn good and comparable. Definitely a great wedge.

60* Jaws Raw
IMG_2656.jpeg

60* CB
IMG_2661.jpeg

I had the chance to get the CB wedge and Jaws Raw on the launch monitor the other day just to look at some spin numbers. I know at times it felt like the CBs spun a little less, but it’s pretty darn good and comparable. Definitely a great wedge.

60* Jaws Raw
View attachment 9241880

60* CB
View attachment 9241879
That's pretty much what I'd expect to see. Typically I'll get a little more launch and a little less spin from CB wedges. All tends to equal out in terms of descent angle and stopping power for me.

60* Jaws Raw
View attachment 9241880

60* CB
View attachment 9241879
Love this. That is a really good side by side of how quickly the CB get up and going.

I am so close to putting one of these in the bag at 58 degrees for the Goat Cup

The “favorite club finish” thread had me throw an answer that without thinking was “my two favorite clubs in my bag right now have a chrome finish”. Fit into an entire bag of literally ANYTHING I wanted top to bottom, it’s crazy to me that these wedges are my without prompting pick.

Looks: the Chrome just pops. I mean it’s the chromiest chrome that’s ever chromed. Matched with the catalyst 80g grey wedge shaft (15 g heavier than my standard setup) it’s a head turner
IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpegIMG_4309.jpeg
Sound:
The sound is perfect. The best description is taking a golf ball in each hand and hitting them together. Not clicks or hollow, somewhere between.

Performance: full shots. Once dialed in distance wise they are the safest shot I’ve EVER had in my bag. I’m really short backswing with a really steep descent. These don’t dig in.
Short shots. This is where they have been a stroke saver. THAT IS when I have the distance right. ****Follow up question next post incoming***
Chipping: I look normal now. In the past it was get as close as I could to the ball and really exaggerate upright shaft toe down to keep the ball going straight.
Not sure if it’s mental or the high toe face of this club is the reason. But chipping is a breeze.
IMG_4311.jpeg
Pictured: The CB is underneath the AI Smoke HL set gap wedge. The extra material on the toe peeking through.
The only lie this hasn’t been great in has been the green side rough on a rainy day.
This club is seemingly incapable of a “bad” shot but it didnt like that particular lie in two rounds. It kept the ball safe but pushed a bit right of target a few times .

Last edited:
Question for anyone that has tested/played these:
What has your experience or results have been when “choking up” on them?
Not so much chipping but this 30 yardish shots. I know a lot of golfers constantly grip up or down but for me this club really seems to be at its happiest when it’s gripped normal length.

Not so much chipping but this 30 yardish shots. I know a lot of golfers constantly grip up or down but for me this club really seems to be at its happiest when it’s gripped normal length.
I only ever grip at normal length with these. Not sure I've ever felt the need to choke down on them. Even switching to a heavier shaft with 105 darts these are so forgiving I don't know that its necessary.

I only ever grip at normal length with these. Not sure I've ever felt the need to choke down on them. Even switching to a heavier shaft with 105 darts these are so forgiving I don't know that its necessary.
Thats good to hear. It’s taken me out of my comfort zone, but thats my experience with these as well.

Thats good to hear. It’s taken me out of my comfort zone, but thats my experience with these as well.
Gonna try and pay attention to this during league tomorrow. Maybe even test out choking down. You've got me interested.

I don’t really choke down on the CBs other than the short chips. I kind of found that the less I try to do and not overcomplicate things, the better the outcome. Just leverage the forgiving nature of these and let the CBs and do their thing.

I don’t really choke down on the CBs other than the short chips. I kind of found that the less I try to do and not overcomplicate things, the better the outcome. Just leverage the forgiving nature of these and let the CBs and do their thing.
Is the choke down something you did on previous wedges? I did.
I’m firmly right now in the same “leverage the forgiving nature of the club” camp

Is the choke down something you did on previous wedges? I did.
I’m firmly right now in the same “leverage the forgiving nature of the club” camp
I used to choke down some starting from pitch shots and then even more as I got to chips, but I dont recall if I started going back to a more normal grip before or after the change to the CBs. You've got me curious now to go back and play around with both sets of wedges and different grips.

Back