Never Compromise Reserve Putter Review

Love seeing NC back in the fold and I’m glad they pushed the old school black grey black look on part of the line.

Here’s my original one. Cant wait to try these out.

IMG_9730.jpeg

IMG_9731.jpeg

330 gram head weight is great. In recent years most companies stock putters heads are about 350 grams, which I find much too heavy unless one is playing an extremely short 32" or 33" shaft length.
If Never Compromise is offering 330 grams I expect that if, when players try that weight they will like it.

I assume that is before weights. Probably minimum 5g each
Sorry, @baylrballa is correct. I was just giving the base head weight. The lightest configuration would have two 5g weights installed.

Great write up @Hawk... I have never owned a NC putter, but the Reserve 2 & 3 have caught my eye.

Really like what I see in this article, and great article as well. Glad that Dunlop is coming back with the NC and higher end line - and more important, how they are implementing this. Looks like a great plan - I do wonder if the cost might make some back off, that would be sad. Also wonder (did I miss it?) if they had more hosel options, maybe like Machine and Edel do - modularity to do the build, would it better fit some players? Say a person fits a winged mallet but they just can't deal with all that metal (right @Canadan) they could be fit to some blade with a different hosel that might make it work more like the winged mallet in a blade package.

Eh, maybe it's just me.

now that i think about it, makes sense when i was at pga frisco there were tons of xxio reps around for some sort of conference and there was a big NC banner flying above one of the conference rooms. should have taken a picture.

Love seeing NC back. They were some of the most underrated putters out there.

Haven't read yet, about to dive in but talk about a blast from the past!

First, the putters look great. I like the attention to detail, the 2 tone option and the new badging. Milling looks great and not as deep as the HB line which I think is a good thing and @Hawk explained why pretty well.

The fitting and building process is interesting and options available. I like where its going but it will be interesting to see how available its going to be to consumers and/or how well these will be pushed by retailers if someone doesn't come in asking for one.

My favorite thing about NC was when they had Jean Van de Velde go back and play the 18th at Carnoustie with just his NC putter to see if he could shoot low enough to have won the Open and he did after like two tries.

I like that they brought back the OG look.

That NC Contrast Finish is fantastic!! Huge fan. I also remember a thread a little bit ago asking what lines people wish would come back. I swore I saw a bunch of asks for Never Compromise. Wish granted for those people! I've never heard of them before but these seem to be damn solid. Especially with the fitting aspect to them

Last edited:
That NC Contrast Finish is fantastic!! Huge fan. I also remember a thread a little bit ago asking what lines people wish would come back. I swore I saw a bunch of asks for No Compromise. Wish granted for those people! I've never heard of them before but these seem to be damn solid. Especially with the fitting aspect to them

Hmmm, i'm not sure if i'd prefer No Compromise or Never Compromise as a company name/motto

I feel like you might have better luck getting the No Compromise folks to compromise on something. That's kinda like , "No, we won't compromise" and then you could say "you mean, like ever?" to which they'd probably respond "Well, i mean ....were not ready to say ever"

But when a company right off the bat says "Never Compromise".....it's like, they've probably had these discussions before and agreed "yup, we're just never gonna do it"

Hmmm, i'm not sure if i'd prefer No Compromise or Never Compromise as a company name/motto

I feel like you might have better luck getting the No Compromise folks to compromise on something. That's kinda like , "No, we won't compromise" and then you could say "you mean, like ever?" to which they'd probably respond "Well, i mean ....were not ready to say ever"

But when a company right off the bat says "Never Compromise".....it's like, they've probably had these discussions before and agreed "yup, we're just never gonna do it"
Hahah yep, I mistyped 😅 Thanks for the laugh about it lol

Great writeup. Interesting and cool to see fittings being more emphasized with putter releases. Edel having the briefcase with all the modular pieces to ensure fittings are seamless and NC having their fit pack.

First of all I love seeing NC back. I never got into them but know that many have fond memories of them. I also think it's nice to see more companies putting such an emphasis on putting. Even just the static putting is better than nothing, and it seems like they're doing their best to get some basic fitting for a good number of their players.

I also think this is a great addition to the Srixon lineup. I recommend CG putters regularly due to their value, and assuming the feel & performance are there, these seem to compliment the overall story.

Ugh. Im not gonna lie, that’s a hard thing for me to be ok with in a 450.00 milled putter.
I don't think it's a deal breaker necessarily but tend to agree with you when I'm looking at other putters in this price range.

Also this is a super nit picky, but at $450 I'd make darn sure there wasn't any paint fill spill over on the one I sent out to be reviewed. I know it's inconsequential, but I saw it immediately in the photo and couldn't unsee it. Not knocking NC. Mistakes happen. But I'd have to fix this if it was on a putter that I bought myself.
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 2.33.08 PM.png

Great write-up and looks like some really nice options.

Seeing this article pop up bring back a lot of good memories. NC was onto something and then kinds couldn't leverage any sustained success. I know the price point will scare many away, but with the proper fitting this line can be amazing for golfers. I immediately love the shape of the 3 but know the S neck & me are not a good match.

thank you @Hawk for the details and the complete rundown for this release.

Pretty cool to see NC back in the mix.
I've owned a Z/I Alpha, Z/I Beta, Voodoo, GM2 Exchange #5, and my custom Gambler is still in the bag.

Glad to see them bring back an NC lineup. I still have an MC Sub-30 in my extra clubs bag, I'm pretty sure it was the last blade putter I used before going all-in on mallets. That price point might be an issue for me, but then again I'd have to have one in hand to really know one way or the other.

The fitting approach is interesting As is that two-tone finish. I’d like to see them in person but I’ll be surprised if they land anywhere in this skimpy market

I've been thinking about these quite a bit. The reception was definitely interesting - not negative or positive, btw. I always find interest in how people react to new products. I think the looks thing is what it is. You either are into the design or you're not and that's not really going to change. Personally, I think it's a solid looking line. Like others, the cavity badge doesn't really do it for me, but it's not common that every aspect of a club/putter hits all my checkboxes.

I think my direct comparison has to be Scotty Cameron when you look at a few factors like price and materials. I did have a chance to try them both (NC 4s and Scotty 7) to compare and came away thinking the NC was a bit less-firm in terms of feel and sound. I also prefer the shape of the NC fang putter. From a form factor stand point, the SC motif does have things going on visually I like better, especially on the sole and cavity. So, it's kind of a wash on the visuals for me. Feel was a definite winner for the NC though.

Anyway, assuming there's some give and take between the two when it comes to aesthetics, I have to think the ability to take home the NC with a fitting (at around the same price) carries some value, especially with the weight, shaft, and grip options being available same day. Thoughts?

I've been thinking about these quite a bit. The reception was definitely interesting - not negative or positive, btw. I always find interest in how people react to new products. I think the looks thing is what it is. You either are into the design or you're not and that's not really going to change. Personally, I think it's a solid looking line. Like others, the cavity badge doesn't really do it for me, but it's not common that every aspect of a club/putter hits all my checkboxes.

I think my direct comparison has to be Scotty Cameron when you look at a few factors like price and materials. I did have a chance to try them both (NC 4s and Scotty 7) to compare and came away thinking the NC was a bit less-firm in terms of feel and sound. I also prefer the shape of the NC fang putter. From a form factor stand point, the SC motif does have things going on visually I like better, especially on the sole and cavity. So, it's kind of a wash on the visuals for me. Feel was a definite winner for the NC though.

Anyway, assuming there's some give and take between the two when it comes to aesthetics, I have to think the ability to take home the NC with a fitting (at around the same price) carries some value, especially with the weight, shaft, and grip options being available same day. Thoughts?
After seeing them in hand, I honestly think they missed the pricing mark and should have stayed around 399. They're nice, they're well milled, but at 450, IMO as a putter addict/connoisseur/ho, you have to NAIL the little things, and I'm not sure these do that with the cavity badge and some of the paint lines I saw at the show.

But, that is entirely one persons opinion.

After seeing them in hand, I honestly think they missed the pricing mark and should have stayed around 399. They're nice, they're well milled, but at 450, IMO as a putter addict/connoisseur/ho, you have to NAIL the little things, and I'm not sure these do that with the cavity badge and some of the paint lines I saw at the show.

But, that is entirely one persons opinion.
see some paint edging issues like we saw with the Versa release that one year?

see some paint edging issues like we saw with the Versa release that one year?
I did, and clearly 2-3 in hand is a small sample size, but at 450, you have to NAIL it imo.

Back