Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
Should we start another thread?

I know, I know. The Celtics still may come back and win last year’s title. You’re welcome, @MtlJeff!

Yes, I am ready for free agency.

I'm going to post famous last words here--but is anything gonna happen this offseason? It seems like it could be a pretty boring one. Big names mostly staying put, it doesn't seem like guys like Lillard or Beal will move.

I'm not super excited about Jim Harden at this stage, Draymond Green probably isn't swinging a title...The Lakers don't have many options

Maybe Jaylen Brown gets dealt?

If all you're reading about is Fred Van Vleet--might not be super eventful

Tobias Harris might get traded. That would be a shame.

Webanyama. He is going to be a huge story in the upcoming season.

I'm going to post famous last words here--but is anything gonna happen this offseason? It seems like it could be a pretty boring one. Big names mostly staying put, it doesn't seem like guys like Lillard or Beal will move.

I'm not super excited about Jim Harden at this stage, Draymond Green probably isn't swinging a title...The Lakers don't have many options

Maybe Jaylen Brown gets dealt?

If all you're reading about is Fred Van Vleet--might not be super eventful
Great points…

I actually think it will be very interesting to see what Boston does with Brown. His play is not supermax level. Will he be offended and leave if Boston doesn’t offer it? There are rumors that he was very put off by the trade talk involving KD last summer. The offseason will be interesting for Celts fans.

I agree that Harden is not who he once was, but if the Sixers lose him, they certainly can’t contend. What does Miami do? Butler is not a spring chicken and seemed to have worn out in the Finals. What about the Suns? They have little flexibility.

How does Webanyama (sp?) look in summer leagues? How about Scoot Henderson?

I think it will be fun.

Great points…

I actually think it will be very interesting to see what Boston does with Brown. His play is not supermax level. Will he be offended and leave if Boston doesn’t offer it? There are rumors that he was very put off by the trade talk involving KD last summer. The offseason will be interesting for Celts fans.

I agree that Harden is not who he once was, but if the Sixers lose him, they certainly can’t contend. What does Miami do? Butler is not a spring chicken and seemed to have worn out in the Finals. What about the Suns? They have little flexibility.

How does Webanyama (sp?) look in summer leagues? How about Scoot Henderson?

I think it will be fun.

Celtics couldn't win as constructed. Giving Brown a supermax deal isn't going to help that.

Celtics couldn't win as constructed. Giving Brown a supermax deal isn't going to help that.
It isn’t going to improve the team, but can the team afford to lose him with no assets in return? They still will have little cap flexibility.

Is it certain that they can’t win as constructed? Did Mazzulla create an offense that was too three point centric, which doesn’t always work in the playoffs? There apparently was a moment in the 5th game of the Finals, where Jokic was yelling at his teammates during a stop in play. He explained that he was on them for settling for threes, when the threes were not going down and there were easier ways to generate badly needed points.

I think Mazzulla was a bad hire, but Stevens is going to stick with him.

It isn’t going to improve the team, but can the team afford to lose him with no assets in return? They still will have little cap flexibility.

Is it certain that they can’t win as constructed? Did Mazzulla create an offense that was too three point centric, which doesn’t always work in the playoffs? There apparently was a moment in the 5th game of the Finals, where Jokic was yelling at his teammates during a stop in play. He explained that he was on them for settling for threes, when the threes were not going down and there were easier ways to generate badly needed points.

I think you made my case better than I did. :LOL: I agree with your assessment of the offense. They were not going to win the Championship with that specific style of play, as was proven in the Heat series. As constructed I think I wanted to imply that they were going to win relying on Tatum to carry them, to create his own offense or to set up three point shots.

As for the coach, he displayed a noticable lack of ability to make any in game adjustments. That hurt them against the Heat. There were some good coaches available and the job would have been so attractive. One could definitely question whether they should have made a change.

Despite my love for Tyler Herro and my rooting interest in the Heat this playoffs I’m actually a Mavs fan. This is a super interesting offseason. It’s hard to miss the playoffs with Luka but they sure did pull off the near impossible.

Honestly, no clue what the hell they do with that roster. It’s not a good one. They’re hamstrung to Kyrie - he has to be retained in some capacity. Keep him, sign and trade? Something. I know he’s maybe the most detested and mercurial player in the league but his on court metrics are still elite. I just don’t know how they build a roster with his max on the books. All. Ugly.

very curious to see what the sixers do, especially if they lose harden. they are not good enough to win and they are not getting any younger with harden and embiid. if harden goes then i am fine with trading embiid if you can get some crazy return.

the "process" was a failure

I don't think you can pay Tatum and Jaylen Brown 50-60M per year each and expect to win a title....But winning a title is hard no matter what you do. If they let him leave there may not be alternatives. But with all of the good players in the league and the roster sacrifices they'll have to make, it's hard to see that team being a true contender.

At the end of the day scoring counts for 1.5x everything else at least when the playoffs start. Like during the regular season you could argue Jaylen Brown and say, Devin Booker are not that far apart.

But in the playoffs Devin Booker is far, far more valuable.

Heck even Jamal Murray, no one had him as a better player than Brown during the regular season. But i'd much rather have Murray in a playoff series.

Despite my love for Tyler Herro and my rooting interest in the Heat this playoffs I’m actually a Mavs fan. This is a super interesting offseason. It’s hard to miss the playoffs with Luka but they sure did pull off the near impossible.

Honestly, no clue what the hell they do with that roster. It’s not a good one. They’re hamstrung to Kyrie - he has to be retained in some capacity. Keep him, sign and trade? Something. I know he’s maybe the most detested and mercurial player in the league but his on court metrics are still elite. I just don’t know how they build a roster with his max on the books. All. Ugly.

I think after enough time you know who someone is. Kyrie can be happy for half a season at most before his mind starts wondering , and he thinks his true calling is exposing that birds are drones, or forcing people to play basketball in exchange for money is toxic or whatever the heck else he thinks of. Or he'll take a year off to do a 6 month darkness retreat and start a mental health business with Aaron Rodgers.

Whoever pays him is gonna regret it , his on court metrics have always been great. He's a hot but crazy girlfriend everyone talks themselves into once.

I think after enough time you know who someone is. Kyrie can be happy for half a season at most before his mind starts wondering , and he thinks his true calling is exposing that birds are drones, or forcing people to play basketball in exchange for money is toxic or whatever the heck else he thinks of. Or he'll take a year off to do a 6 month darkness retreat and start a mental health business with Aaron Rodgers.

Whoever pays him is gonna regret it , his on court metrics have always been great. He's a hot but crazy girlfriend everyone talks themselves into once.

Oh, I absolutely agree. The Mavs made the plunge though and now they have to put up with the crazy girlfriend for a bit.

Dallas is paying a very heavy price for failing to lock up Brunson when they had the chance. Dallas was right there, in the conference finals. It is amazing how one wrong turn by a front office can completely derail a team and you are so right, Dallas is stuck.

Dallas is paying a very heavy price for failing to lock up Brunson when they had the chance. It is amazing how one wrong turn by a front office can completely derail a team and you are so right, Dallas is stuck.

Yeah. I don’t care what Brunson has said since. He was always going to the Knicks. Definitely a major damn setback.

I mean, your candidates are basically Joker, Rodman, Manu, Willis Reed, Draymond.

If he’s not already the best he’s certainly close.
There are other good ones, like Marc Gassol and Moses Malone, who was not drafted into the NBA, because he went to the ABA as a teenager, so he may not count, but Jokic is better than any on the list.

And i think there is a lot more to come from him. Just a great player and a difference maker.
Easy to cheer for, too.

Back