Picks in the NBA are starting to remind me of that scene in "wolf of wall street" where Matthew Mcconaughey tells Leo that the goal of the stockbroker is to just keep kicking the clients money down the road.

Free agency is kind of dead because teams got too smart (and burned too much). So you get all these trades which seem crazy, like guys giving up 3 firsts and 2 pick swaps or whatever. Someone eventually is really gonna get burned here.

But the way teams see it seems to be go all in for a 3-4yr window, and then trade your youngest star to try to recoup the picks back for what you gave up to go all in with him

So when i see this im like, Phoenix is gonna be really good for 3 years, but Devin Booker is 100% getting traded in 2026

Picks in the NBA are starting to remind me of that scene in "wolf of wall street" where Matthew Mcconaughey tells Leo that the goal of the stockbroker is to just keep kicking the clients money down the road.

Free agency is kind of dead because teams got too smart (and burned too much). So you get all these trades which seem crazy, like guys giving up 3 firsts and 2 pick swaps or whatever. Someone eventually is really gonna get burned here.

But the way teams see it seems to be go all in for a 3-4yr window, and then trade your youngest star to try to recoup the picks back for what you gave up to go all in with him

So when i see this im like, Phoenix is gonna be really good for 3 years, but Devin Booker is 100% getting traded in 2026
You make valid points, as usual. I am not sure that this trade makes the Suns much better, though. They didn’t need another first option scorer. They needed perimeter defense. They needed an Aaron Gordon. You add up the number of games that KD, Booker and Beal have missed over the last two years and it is UGLY. Who plays point guard? If it is Booker, is he now more worn out at the end of the season? Ayton will hardly ever touch the ball and the rumors are that he pouts when he isn’t an option.

That no trade clause for Beal is an albatross (sorry for the use of that word in that context on this forum, LOL). Phoenix will be pretty much limited to signing minimum players under the new collective bargaining agreement. I think this one is a move of desperation and I don’t know that it will make Phoenix any better.

You make valid points, as usual. I am not sure that this trade makes the Suns much better, though. They didn’t need another first option scorer. They needed perimeter defense. They needed an Aaron Gordon. You add up the number of games that KD, Booker and Beal have missed over the last two years and it is UGLY. Who plays point guard? If it is Booker, is he now more worn out at the end of the season? Ayton will hardly ever touch the ball and the rumors are that he pouts when he isn’t an option.

That no trade clause for Beal is an albatross (sorry for the use of that word in that context on this forum, LOL). Phoenix will be pretty much limited to signing minimum players under the new collective bargaining agreement. I think this one is a move of desperation and I don’t know that it will make Phoenix any better.

Oh for sure there are red flags everywhere here. I don't want to look it up but i think Durant is averaging <50 games a season for a while now. This also puts them in the very punitive super luxury tax area that i read briefly about but can't elaborate too much on. Basically it's gonna cost the new owners a fortune.

Offensively they should be incredible. The Nets, when their 3 dudes played together had some of the highest performing offenses in NBA history. These Suns on paper are probably better . Again provided these 3 guys actually play like 50 games in a season together.

But yeah, depth, who knows...injuries , if that happens good luck. And playoffs are all about matchups. Great players in their prime couldn't stop Jokic, i wouldn't want to try with some 35yr old rent-a-center on a veteran minimum. That's all they are going to be able to afford. They could trade Ayton but what's his value? Bill Simmons had him 66th in his trade value column

Ayton will hardly ever touch the ball and the rumors are that he pouts when he isn’t an option.
I still remember when UB a mid major 13 seed took on Arizona with the player people said would be the number one pick in the NBA draft , Ayton. I also remember Kenny Smith who i am sure never saw UB play in the pre game say that UB had zero chance to win and they shoved that comment down his throat ( lol not that i hold a grudge ). Ayton was a non factor against an undersized UB. Nate Oats had a perfect game plan , took Ayton out of the game and i remember thinking Ayton did not look like a number one overall pick or potential superstar and did not play like one that game. I think Denver looks solid and could be very good for years if they keep the core team together. Should be an interesting season.IMG_4204.jpeg

Last edited:
:oops:

but Devin Booker is 100% getting traded in 2026

If Booker gets traded.....The Suns facilities will BURN. And Booker will support it.

If Booker gets traded.....The Suns facilities will BURN. And Booker will support it.
Isn’t that about when this window closes? KD will be 37. Beal will be old. The team has pretty much closed all avenues to build a roster with other good players. Devin Booker will be in his prime, still. You don’t think that the team would trade him to replenish its assets to begin a rebuild?

Everything the new owner has done seems to be taking his best shot at a championship now, but this window is only two or three years in duration. This will either be another Nets-type fiasco or at least another trip to the Finals. Personally, and I hate to say it, I think Isaiah Thomas has too much sway and he is proven to be adept at burning down franchises. I don’t think the Suns will get past Denver during this window and the team will be in shambles.

Booker wants/intends to be a lifelong Sun. So if he's trade bait...something really goes wrong with management.

Booker wants/intends to be a lifelong Sun. So if he's trade bait...something really goes wrong with management.
I surely don’t follow the Suns at that level. Certainly Damian Lillard in Portland has hung in there, but he is a rare exception in today’s NBA. If Booker is like Lillard, as you say, it increases my respect for him.

It appears that there is some serious talk for Boston to acquire Porzingis and ship out Brogdan.

I surely don’t follow the Suns at that level. Certainly Damian Lillard in Portland has hung in there, but he is a rare exception in today’s NBA. If Booker is like Lillard, as you say, it increases my respect for him.

When Al McCoy was placed in the ring of honor during Books first or maybe second year in the league, they had the ceremony during halftime. Book refused to join his team in the locker room. Instead taking a seat courtside to watch it all. Everything Booker had done/said indicates that he want to be a Sun for life. All the talk over the years of him joining forces with other NBA superstars....his comments were alway...that they would come to PHX to play with him. Never the other way around.

He has been a professional through some very tough years in PHX.

Hornets appear to be taking Miller which I think is a major mistake. Scoot is a class kid who is a leader and a great player. Miller has already failed the critical thinking test in my mind. plus we will soon bring back Bridges who beat up his wife. Charlotte isn't a town that goes for that. This is MJ's last act. It's consitent with all his others as an owner. Except for the making money part. He bought the team for pennies on the dollar and in one day will make more than he did after 40 years with Nike.

It appears that there is some serious talk for Boston to acquire Porzingis and ship out Brogdan.
It also sounds like the Celtics want to move Grant Williams. He is a great kid but a new place would be good.

Ah, Porzingis. Play 4 games, sit out two. Great talent, needs to go to the bucket more often. At least that's what I saw in Dallas. He will be hot from the outside, then disappear. Something is wrong - he gives hope and then snatches it away.

Ah, Porzingis. Play 4 games, sit out two. Great talent, needs to go to the bucket more often. At least that's what I saw in Dallas. He will be hot from the outside, then disappear. Something is wrong - he gives hope and then snatches it away.
I think that he played much better this year in Washington.

I think that he played much better this year in Washington.

Someone watched the Wizards?

I didn't want to look any more:oops: He was very disappointing.

I also did not watch the Mavericks meltdown ...:LOL: Could not take it. They blew the Brunson saga - could have gotten him signed for much less early in the year - loved his energy.

Does Wemby translate to the NBA?
Outside of balance stuff, he looks generational in raw ability.

Porzingis to Boston. Marcus Smart goes to Memphis as part of 3 team deal. Celtics had some depth at point guard. Memphis needed someone to play while Morant is suspended. Wizards are overhauling roster.

Porzingis adds an interesting dimension and another scorer for the Celtics.

He will get beat up for a while. They will get weight on him. To me he is a blend of two former Spurs. Robinson and Duncan. David used to come to Charlotte and his mid range to further out was so much better than anyone expected. It may take a bit but he is a problem.

Porzingis to Boston. Marcus Smart goes to Memphis as part of 3 team deal. Celtics had some depth at point guard. Memphis needed someone to play while Morant is suspended. Wizards are overhauling roster.

How the heck did the C's get the guy they wanted and some picks. I think he'll finally be the big everyone else thought they were getting.

When Al McCoy was placed in the ring of honor during Books first or maybe second year in the league, they had the ceremony during halftime. Book refused to join his team in the locker room. Instead taking a seat courtside to watch it all. Everything Booker had done/said indicates that he want to be a Sun for life. All the talk over the years of him joining forces with other NBA superstars....his comments were alway...that they would come to PHX to play with him. Never the other way around.

He has been a professional through some very tough years in PHX.
Book seems to be a great person. Only person who could stop him from scoring was Coach Cal.LOL

It is an interesting move. When Ja returns, I have a hard time seeing how it works with Ja, Smart and Bane. I doubt that Smart is going to want to come off the bench again.

He has been hyped to a point where he is going to have a tough time meeting expectations.

He has been hyped to a point where he is going to have a tough time meeting expectations.
Im dating myself here, but it reminds me of when Ralph Sampson was coming in.

How the heck did the C's get the guy they wanted and some picks. I think he'll finally be the big everyone else thought they were getting.

The situation was favorable for the Celtics and they found willing teams to deal with. Washington was very willing to deal Porzingis and obviously other players (Beal) this off season and Memphis is in dire need of aquality point guard until Morant returns from suspension.

Back