Marathon Training

I have the Mizuno Wave Inspire 17 (which I don't know if I love) Lots of stability but feels weird right now. I have the On cloud flow as well which I like better but worried about running longer distances in them. May look into some Adidas with the foam. I am a pretty neutral runner. If I get a pair of shoes that doesn't work I get knee pain on the outside of my right knee.
I had good luck with Altras both road and trail, I’d definitely recommend them. If you have a local running shop they can probably do a fitting and get you situated with some options based on your feet/goals/etc. Have you worn a vest for a half marathon or did you use a handheld?

Good luck with your training! I was training for a marathon and scheduled a 1/2 marathon race about halfway between when I started training and when the full marathon was. I finished the 1/2 and said there was no way I could do that again immediately after. I’m not a runner, or apparently not a distance runner.

Just wanted to pop in here and say good luck!! I have no advice because the most running I've done is a 5K lol

No doubt in my mind you've got this!!

What is everyone's favorite running short. I like the 2-1 that has the build in compression liners. I have a pair of nikes that are okay and some lulu ones. I looked online and there are sooooooo many to choose from. Ten Thousand and Bird dogs looks okay. any suggestions?

What is everyone's favorite running short. I like the 2-1 that has the build in compression liners. I have a pair of nikes that are okay and some lulu ones. I looked online and there are sooooooo many to choose from. Ten Thousand and Bird dogs looks okay. any suggestions?
So, so personal. Adidas fit me so well I actually changed into them after the bike for my last marathon. FB_IMG_1514821565750.jpg

I am going to attempt a marathon in April 2023. I have started running again to try and get a good base before real training starts later in the year.

I am going to try and use the Nike run club training plan for this. I have run 5 half marathons before but never a full marathon. I was able to run all the half marathons under 2 hrs. Fastest was around 1:47. I have heard a full is a lot more stuff involved with training and recovery.

Any tips for training and recovery would be great. What did you use to get you recovered to train well (theragun products...) ? Did you find any of the fuel during the race to be beneficial (like the gu packs)? What's your best advice?
I can't add much - but I can support reading this thread as it goes. Don't forget to eat right - as part of the deal. I am an old guy hope to do a 10k one day, but for now, I am most happy just doing my thing - slow but continual, some weight training, a lot of jogging/running - about 10-15 miles a week 2-4 miles at a time.

I hope to learn from this thread and live vicariously through your trials - and your successes.
Good luck to you.

Get after it, Will! I did a few 10Ks when I was much younger. No more for this old guy. I'll follow you here but just reading the thread and thinking about running that far makes most my body hurt. :ROFLMAO:

FWIW, the data really doesn't support doing endurance stuff. I've really backed off, and don't do crazy bike/run distances anymore.

20 miles a week running is plenty, and probably better for you than 35+.

FWIW, the data really doesn't support doing endurance stuff. I've really backed off, and don't do crazy bike/run distances anymore.

I'm in agreement. When I'm running regularly now, I like to run 4 days a week and 10-20 miles a week. I last trained for a long distance race in 2012, Since then, I haven't had any desire to do so and my long runs have been about 1 hr.

Is that enough for marathon training, or just a general rule of thumb for running?

Good luck @MarMill. I've completed 25+ marathons plus 6 Ironmans. Lots of good information from others and I appreciate @ryang13's comment about never quit. I had the same mantra!

There are lots of successful marathon training programs. Find one that agrees with your schedule and follow it. I learned is that my body struggled when mileage exceeds 50 per week. Struggles is a kind way of saying it became injury-prone. Supplementing running with a 1 or 2 days of cycling was extremely beneficial.

I'd also suggest determining a goal. If you want to finish, then focus on the long run each week. As others noted, slowly increase the distance. Increase for 3 weeks and then back off for one is a good strategy. Example is W1 = 10 miles, W2 = 12 miles, W3 = 15 miles, W4 = 12 miles, W5 = 15, W6 = 18 miles, W7 = 20 mile, W8 = 18 miles, etc.

If you plan to race a marathon (not recommended for #1), then you really need to focus on a plan. I "raced" several of them. It's a fun but daunting endeavor. My best races came from running 4 days per week. Monday: 8 - 10 miles with several miles of tempo (10 k pace). Wednesday: mile repeats on the track every other week. This was my favorite workout. I added 2 repeats to each session and maxed out at 12 plus jogging to/from the track which totaled 18+ miles. That was an arse kicker of a day. Wednesday's not at the track involved fartlek training. Thursday or Friday: 6-8 miles at marathon pace or slower. Saturday: long day. 3:1 pattern mentioned above.

Last tip is join a running club, if possible. I did solo and group training. Group training is a great option for marathon #1. Misery loves company. :) Just kidding; enjoy the journey.

Is that enough for marathon training, or just a general rule of thumb for running?
I'd do more for a marathon, and did, up to 20 mile long weekend runs. I wouldn't worry about doing a few marathons.

I just wouldn't do excessive endurance races frequently, as the data isn't really good.

I do maybe 5-6 hours cardio a week tops now, and feel better than when I was doing 15-20 training.

I'd do more for a marathon, and did, up to 20 mile long weekend runs. I wouldn't worry about doing a few marathons.

I just wouldn't do excessive endurance races frequently, as the data isn't really good.

I do maybe 5-6 hours cardio a week tops now, and feel better than when I was doing 15-20 training.
Gotcha, I don't plan on doing any more longer races after this one. Just want to say I completed one while I am still youngish...

Good luck @MarMill. I've completed 25+ marathons plus 6 Ironmans. Lots of good information from others and I appreciate @ryang13's comment about never quit. I had the same mantra!

There are lots of successful marathon training programs. Find one that agrees with your schedule and follow it. I learned is that my body struggled when mileage exceeds 50 per week. Struggles is a kind way of saying it became injury-prone. Supplementing running with a 1 or 2 days of cycling was extremely beneficial.

I'd also suggest determining a goal. If you want to finish, then focus on the long run each week. As others noted, slowly increase the distance. Increase for 3 weeks and then back off for one is a good strategy. Example is W1 = 10 miles, W2 = 12 miles, W3 = 15 miles, W4 = 12 miles, W5 = 15, W6 = 18 miles, W7 = 20 mile, W8 = 18 miles, etc.

If you plan to race a marathon (not recommended for #1), then you really need to focus on a plan. I "raced" several of them. It's a fun but daunting endeavor. My best races came from running 4 days per week. Monday: 8 - 10 miles with several miles of tempo (10 k pace). Wednesday: mile repeats on the track every other week. This was my favorite workout. I added 2 repeats to each session and maxed out at 12 plus jogging to/from the track which totaled 18+ miles. That was an arse kicker of a day. Wednesday's not at the track involved fartlek training. Thursday or Friday: 6-8 miles at marathon pace or slower. Saturday: long day. 3:1 pattern mentioned above.

Last tip is join a running club, if possible. I did solo and group training. Group training is a great option for marathon #1. Misery loves company. :) Just kidding; enjoy the journey.
Thanks for the info!

Find a plan that you can work with. The long run is key. I rarely did more than 40 miles a week in any week when I trained for my three marathons. But my goal was simply to finish and run the best that I could that day.

6 Ironmans? I was one and done. 13 hours of "this cost too much to quit" 😁

Find a plan that you can work with. The long run is key. I rarely did more than 40 miles a week in any week when I trained for my three marathons. But my goal was simply to finish and run the best that I could that day.
Finishing is the key!

6 Ironmans? I was one and done. 13 hours of "this cost too much to quit" 😁

I noticed your IMWI photo. I did WI 3 times, Canada twice, and Couer d'Alene once. My best time is 10:57 with a 4:10 marathon (best marathon is 3:13 at Chicago). I needed to run ~3:45 to make Kona and that was a big ask so I decided to start playing golf...seriously.

I noticed your IMWI photo. I did WI 3 times, Canada twice, and Couer d'Alene once. My best time is 10:57 with a 4:10 marathon (best marathon is 3:13 at Chicago). I needed to run ~3:45 to make Kona and that was a big ask so I decided to start playing golf...seriously.
I feel ya. I put up a 5:01 marathon, with a PR of 3:50 for a stand alone. That 5:01 hurt more than all my other marathons combined.

I finished in 13:16, so not super slow, but I've never been "fast".

Former St Jude Marathon team member

- First and foremost distance over speed. Trust me. The miles to get go much farther than speed work. It’s all about conditioning.

- Eat- The before it’s fine to load on carbs but the morning of keep it light like banana or oatmeal

- Pack light- Energy gels are small but pack a punch. Honey stinger or Maurtens were my go to. Easy on the stomach. You don’t want anything screw your stomach in a race. Had a gel mix up and threw up half the marathon.

-Fitted shoes are your friend. It’s like golf. Experts are gonna put you in your best shoe.

- Most of the best runners are mouth breathers. Obviously don’t change your breathing if it works but controlled mouth breathing is what they do

- Posture/form is everything. Leaning too forward or back puts strain on other muscles. During 26.2 miles that takes a toll. Marathons are survival. That’s why pros do 1-2 a year. One of the best female marathoners has done 3 marathons her entire life and regularly does 10 miles. Arms should be loose. Trust me they weigh you down late if you are arm pumping all race.

-Stay to the training plan. There’s some amazing books out there and runners world also puts plans out.

Update:
I am about a month away from really starting a training program for the marathon. I think I have a good base. I can go 8 miles and not feel tired breathing wise. My body feels a little tired but I think putting more miles on will help that. It's about a 10 minute pace right now. Hope this will be enough so when I start running the training program I can stay on it. Been running around 4 times a week anywhere from 4-8 miles.

Update:
I am about a month away from really starting a training program for the marathon. I think I have a good base. I can go 8 miles and not feel tired breathing wise. My body feels a little tired but I think putting more miles on will help that. It's about a 10 minute pace right now. Hope this will be enough so when I start running the training program I can stay on it. Been running around 4 times a week anywhere from 4-8 miles.

Generally they just ask runners to be able run 5 mile prior to the programs. I always self trained though so I’m going by what I’ve heard.

More power to you and best of luck! I am not a runner so I have no advice to offer, except to say that friends I know who have run marathons said weight training was super helpful in conjunction with their run training, said it helped with injury and endurance, for whatever that is worth.

Update:

If you're running 4x a week with a long run of 8 miles, then I think you're in a good position to start you specific training in a month. The 10:00 isn't a bad pace for your long run. But you will find what you're comfortable with as you progress.

Back