Hi Andy. Just thought I would check in and see how the rehab is going. I hope you have the success I did and what a life changer it was for me. It will be 8 years this coming June. Turning 68 in May and still trying to get my golf game in shape. Retiring later this year so more rounds in my future. Good luck again. 100% healing.
It is coming along, slower then I would like but it is improving. Got released from PT a few weeks ago. I don't see golf in the future for a couple of months still. I look it it this way. I am about 50% of what I was before the surgery and was about 50% of 100% before surgery....so my crazy math thinks I'm at about 25% :D

Thank you for asking. 👊

There is a nerve may just get stretched or that gets cut during knee replacement surgery. It is unlikely that sensation will return if the nerve was cut. So, in the majority of cases the sensation is unlikely to fully return, although it can happen. I have small spots on each of my knees that still are "numb" 9 years after having had both knees replaced.

As a side note. It took me until late last year to get over the weird feeling and started actually kneeling sometimes, though briefly, such as when getting up off the floor.
As for kneeling, I haven't kneeled or fully squated in well over 10 years. They say I will by the summer, we will see.

I am soooooo looking forward to that first day on the course.

As for kneeling, I haven't kneeled or fully squated in well over 10 years. They say I will by the summer, we will see.

I am soooooo looking forward to that first day on the course.

I am almost a year from my surgery and not fully recovered. I am playing golf, and moving around semi normal (stairs are still a challenge), but not without immense pain or soreness during or post round. Not to mention when I stumble or trip, I get that scary little tweak. I almost regret getting the surgery and should have considered knee replacement - maybe. I don't feel normal - my knee pops after being in a position for even a short length of time, the pain, I don't really kneel because it's hard to get back up.

I probably should have stayed with PT longer or transitioned to a personal trainer. Which I think I am going to have to do at this point.

I am almost a year from my surgery and not fully recovered. I am playing golf, and moving around semi normal (stairs are still a challenge), but not without immense pain or soreness during or post round. Not to mention when I stumble or trip, I get that scary little tweak. I almost regret getting the surgery and should have considered knee replacement - maybe. I don't feel normal - my knee pops after being in a position for even a short length of time, the pain, I don't really kneel because it's hard to get back up.

I probably should have stayed with PT longer or transitioned to a personal trainer. Which I think I am going to have to do at this point.
Good luck, I truly hope it turns around.

I don't see golf in the future for a couple of months still. I look it it this way. I am about 50% of what I was before the surgery and was about 50% of 100% before surgery....so my crazy math thinks I'm at about 25%
Wow! Everyone is different, but I could have been back playing roughly 6 weeks after each knee replacement. My Doc wouldn't give me the OK until about 10 weeks due to his concerns about me falling getting in or out of a sand trap, or slipping on wet grass, or going up or down a slope, The delay in getting approval had nothing to do with any damage swinging a club might do. I've read of guys playing even sooner after surgery. Sorry to hear your recovery is so slow. :(

Saturday is april 1st. When i scheduled my knee replacement for dec 1st it was with saturday in mind. That is the day i am released to hit the links. I have to wear spikeless (barely any grip shoes) to protect my knee but my therapist gave me to green light. Today was my last day of therapy. Knee bends more and is straighter than any time in past 25 years. Not as strong yet but its getting there. Now if only the weather would cooperate. Surgery sucked the first cpl weeks but i am so glad i had it done. Now its time to play

Saturday is april 1st. When i scheduled my knee replacement for dec 1st it was with saturday in mind. That is the day i am released to hit the links. I have to wear spikeless (barely any grip shoes) to protect my knee but my therapist gave me to green light. Today was my last day of therapy. Knee bends more and is straighter than any time in past 25 years. Not as strong yet but its getting there. Now if only the weather would cooperate. Surgery sucked the first cpl weeks but i am so glad i had it done. Now its time to play
good luck, i'm not there yet but getting closer each day.

Hey fellow knee replacers.....do you have to do anything special with tsa? Flying soon and don't feel like getting a full cavity search with then thinking I'm smuggling something ;)

Hey fellow knee replacers.....do you have to do anything special with tsa? Flying soon and don't feel like getting a full cavity search with then thinking I'm smuggling something ;)
I've flown in and out of the US with my ceramic hip with a couple of titanium screws or pins in it. Depending on the sensitivity of the scanners some pick it up, some don't but easy discussion with the guy with the hand scanner to explain. They are normally well used to us bionic folk.

A

Had my last checkup today and not what I wanted to hear. It seems like I hit a wall with range of motion. I'm only at 105 degrees and not improving. He said he thinks there was just too much damage in and around the knee for ot to get any better. That was a punch in the gut. Sucks....I exercise and do my PT constantly. :(

Just gotta keep strengthening the muscles around the knee, not much else I can do.

Oof, Andy, very sorry to hear that. I know I will need one sooner than later, now trying (somewhat successfully, gel shots but that is a temporary fix). Yea, exercise as much as possible, and it does suck. Maybe a different PT facility would help? Or join a gym to accelerate the progress?

Hang in there and get past this range of motion wall.

Had my last checkup today and not what I wanted to hear. It seems like I hit a wall with range of motion. I'm only at 105 degrees and not improving. He said he thinks there was just too much damage in and around the knee for ot to get any better. That was a punch in the gut. Sucks....I exercise and do my PT constantly. :(

Just gotta keep strengthening the muscles around the knee, not much else I can do.
Hi Andy. Just thought I would check in and see how it's going. Keep doing the PT and ignore the naysayers---you will make it. I'm pulling for you.

Hi Andy. Just thought I would check in and see how it's going. Keep doing the PT and ignore the naysayers---you will make it. I'm pulling for you.
Thank you....not as far along as I would have hoped but it's coming along. Sucks that I had to back out of a THP experience. :(

I am a PT assistant who works every day at the orthopedic department in a hospital. I see all the total knee and hips right after surgery. Keep up the hard work with PT.

Last edited:

My struggle after each surgery wasn't so much range of motion, but being able to get either leg perfectly straight! With continued PT, I eventually got there. With range of motion, I have never gotten to the point where it is the same as when I had my "natural" knees (I could touch my butt with my heel), but it did get better over time. You just need to keep working it. Oh, and it only took me about 9 years to get over the strange feeling and finally start kneeling.

My struggle after each surgery wasn't so much range of motion, but being able to get either leg perfectly straight! With continued PT, I eventually got there. With range of motion, I have never gotten to the point where it is the same as when I had my "natural" knees (I could touch my butt with my heel), but it did get better over time. You just need to keep working it. Oh, and it only took me about 9 years to get over the strange feeling and finally start kneeling.
Yeah kneeling isn't happening anytime soon. The couple times I tried it was very uncomfortable.

I'm still working daily but it seems I have hit where I'm going to be. Still some pain and the steps aren't great. I don't see me running any marathons, just hoping to get back to normal'ish. I miss golf :(

Yeah kneeling isn't happening anytime soon. The couple times I tried it was very uncomfortable.

I'm still working daily but it seems I have hit where I'm going to be. Still some pain and the steps aren't great. I don't see me running any marathons, just hoping to get back to normal'ish. I miss golf :(
Check out Bonesmart.org. There is great information there and a terrific forum. You'll find that everyone's recovery will vary, from guys playing golf within a couple of weeks to issues lasting months. So many factors go into it.

A lot of information here both good and not so good. I’m due for my right knee. But just had 3 gel shots so should be “ok” to 2024 then maybe more shots. My issue right now is pain where i assume tendons and ligaments may be damaged. Going to try some PT soon. I dammit to not really slowing down, still gym, bike, golf, etc. just none like i did before. And there is pain most of the time under unless I’m at rest. Also slapped the TENS unit on yesterday seemed to help? Could be placebo effect. :oops:

A lot of information here both good and not so good. I’m due for my right knee. But just had 3 gel shots so should be “ok” to 2024 then maybe more shots. My issue right now is pain where i assume tendons and ligaments may be damaged. Going to try some PT soon. I dammit to not really slowing down, still gym, bike, golf, etc. just none like i did before. And there is pain most of the time under unless I’m at rest. Also slapped the TENS unit on yesterday seemed to help? Could be placebo effect. :oops:
I had the shots before eventually getting my knee replacements. Each time I got the shots, they lasted shorter and shorter periods of time. I think the first shot gave me about 10 months of relief. The last shot before the decision to have the surgery may have lasted a few weeks. I also recommend bonesmart.org to you as there is great information for pre-surgery as well as for post surgery recovery.

I had the shots before eventually getting my knee replacements. Each time I got the shots, they lasted shorter and shorter periods of time. I think the first shot gave me about 10 months of relief. The last shot before the decision to have the surgery may have lasted a few weeks. I also recommend bonesmart.org to you as there is great information for pre-surgery as well as for post surgery recovery.
The gel shot regimen that went through was a series of three, one week apart. This ended in late June. I was told no follow up needed until Dec. then a reassessment. There is also a 5 shot protocol. Other than 2 shots, no idea what the difference is. Were you getting pain shots or gel shots? Thanks for the link!!

It's a quality of life thing, when you're deciding to do the knee replacement. If I could still do what I did 10 years ago I would not have gotten it....hell, 5 years ago even. For me it came down to living a better life and being only 50 and having a 8 year old, I want to enjoy playing with her....being able to enjoy the beach and ocean with her. And for me, I want to be able to golf, hike and fish without pain.

It is a major surgery and it's not to be taken lightly.

I have done the cortisone shots and the rooster cone injections....they did not do much for me. I even did prp injections. None did much for me but take money out of my pocket.

The rooster cone injections, worked wonders for my MIL. She did them for awhile before finally breaking down and getting the surgery.

It's a quality of life thing, when you're deciding to do the knee replacement. If I could still do what I did 10 years ago I would not have gotten it....hell, 5 years ago even. For me it came down to living a better life and being only 50 and having a 8 year old, I want to enjoy playing with her....being able to enjoy the beach and ocean with her. And for me, I want to be able to golf, hike and fish without pain.

It is a major surgery and it's not to be taken lightly.
I know only too well. I’m 63 and have an artificial hip. As long as i can delay i will delay. When i can’t golf it’ll be time.

The shots never did much for me. I have had both hips replaced and one total knee. Many, many years of TaeKwon-Do wore my joints out. The hips were very easy. The knee was tougher. I had a tough physical therapy tech and she had me golfing in about 6 weeks. I kept putting the knee off, and after wished I had done it sooner.

This was my experience with the gel shots.

Back