Things are going well, slow but good. Yesterday at PT was the first time I was able to do a full rotation on the bike. That was a good feeling and my PT person was pleasantly surprised

Pic 1 is one week after surgery pic 2 is today.

20221215_132406.jpg20230119_093838.jpg

They took you off pain meds a lot earlier than me, so I hope your pain isn't too intolerable. Looks like you are progressing nicely...it won't be long until you are able to resume golf!

They took you off pain meds a lot earlier than me, so I hope your pain isn't too intolerable. Looks like you are progressing nicely...it won't be long until you are able to resume golf!
Yeah, the pain sucks in the morning and big time at night but during the day it's no biggie. I still have about 10 oxy and codeine pills left, just in case...lol

Finally going back to work next week. The thought of being on my feet all day has me nervous. We shall see.....

Things are going well, slow but good. Yesterday at PT was the first time I was able to do a full rotation on the bike. That was a good feeling and my PT person was pleasantly surprised

Pic 1 is one week after surgery pic 2 is today.

View attachment 9151527View attachment 9151528

Keep up the good work and dedication to your PT, now and when you start doing those exercises at home.

I had a total knee replacement 8 years ago. Like many I waited too long to have it done and suffered through the pain the last two or three years while putting off the inevitable. The surgery was relatively quick, up and walking a few hours later and home the next day. As others have said, don't abuse the pain meds but take enough to ensure you stay ahead of the pain, take your PT seriously, it hurts but is critical to regaining full motion in the joint. I purchased a device online that allowed me to have recirculating ice water through a knee wrap that eliminated the use of ice bags and that was a great help. I just put four frozen water bottles into the tub of the unit with a little water and turned it on. One of my golfing buddies is using it now as he just had a replacement done.

Yeah, the pain sucks in the morning and big time at night but during the day it's no biggie. I still have about 10 oxy and codeine pills left, just in case...lol

Finally going back to work next week. The thought of being on my feet all day has me nervous. We shall see.....
I was given Hydrocodone for about 10-12 weeks per knee: they reduced the dosage after 9 weeks, then took me off the meds after week 12. It really helped me get through PT, but the post-med withdrawals were miserable!

There’s a few different scar creams out there that reduce the look of the scar. Spenco makes it and probably others. I didn’t use it and my left knee looks like a tic-tac-toe board from various surgeries. Really doesn’t bother me.

There’s a few different scar creams out there that reduce the look of the scar. Spenco makes it and probably others. I didn’t use it and my left knee looks like a tic-tac-toe board from various surgeries. Really doesn’t bother me.
My earlier in life scars it worked on, I think it was easier for me to heal at that age. The big major surgery scars that I have the scar creams never helped at all - as I got older.

It's been almost 9 months and we still use scar cream on my daughter because she had her whole belly / neck area cut open and they have absolutely helped her. I think as we get older they are less effective / useful.

My earlier in life scars it worked on, I think it was easier for me to heal at that age. The big major surgery scars that I have the scar creams never helped at all - as I got older.

It's been almost 9 months and we still use scar cream on my daughter because she had her whole belly / neck area cut open and they have absolutely helped her. I think as we get older they are less effective / useful.
Sorry if too personal but what did your daughter have done?

As a man. I'm not worried about scars, I have a ton of them. My wife has a tiny one in her forehead and it drives her nuts.

Sorry if too personal but what did your daughter have done?
It's not. It actually happened during Masters week last year - I know because I watched more golf that week than I have ever before.

She had a lot of dead bowel and blockage - ended up going into the ER for a 1am or something crazy emergency surgery when she was just under a year old. They cut her straight up the middle because they had to pull out her bowels and intestines - cut out the dead stuff and sew them back together. She doesn't even remember it, very traumatic for me and my wife.

I've never been so thankful to live next to the #1 hospital on the planet before in my life. For me, I've had surgeries all over the nation and I never thought anything of it but my wife knows the guy who did our daughters and he's literally world class and highly respected in his field and was amazing to work with. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but if it had to happen again this is the place.

It's not. It actually happened during Masters week last year - I know because I watched more golf that week than I have ever before.

She had a lot of dead bowel and blockage - ended up going into the ER for a 1am or something crazy emergency surgery when she was just under a year old. They cut her straight up the middle because they had to pull out her bowels and intestines - cut out the dead stuff and sew them back together. She doesn't even remember it, very traumatic for me and my wife.

I've never been so thankful to live next to the #1 hospital on the planet before in my life. For me, I've had surgeries all over the nation and I never thought anything of it but my wife knows the guy who did our daughters and he's literally world class and highly respected in his field and was amazing to work with. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but if it had to happen again this is the place.
Wow, incredible story. How old is she now?

Had my knee replaced ded 1st. About 9 weeks out. Some things they dont tell you. Sitting for more than an hour in a normal chair is rough (still is) so going out to eat is a challenge.
muscle loss is significant. My thigh muscle is gone
Scar tissue can be a b*tch to get through
Sleeping sucks for a while
Can start to swing a club but short shots only. No torque
No regular golf shoes. Shoes with very little spikes. Do not want foot sticking in ground

Had my knee replaced ded 1st. About 9 weeks out. Some things they dont tell you. Sitting for more than an hour in a normal chair is rough (still is) so going out to eat is a challenge.
muscle loss is significant. My thigh muscle is gone
Scar tissue can be a b*tch to get through
Sleeping sucks for a while
Can start to swing a club but short shots only. No torque
No regular golf shoes. Shoes with very little spikes. Do not want foot sticking in ground
Everything you say, I am still having problems with. I just said to my PT person, that when I sit for 15 mins it feels like 3 hours...im so dam stiff when I get up. Just sitting here right now my thigh is throbbing. I feel like I have no thigh muscle at all. To be fair, my knee has been bad for a long time.

The scar is still very sensitive to touch. The massage at the end of PT is tough.

The worst part for me is the pain and stiffness. I'm still in a lot of pain. Talk to the Dr and of course he says I'm fine and its normal. Finally went back to work last week, It was very hard. If I had a desk job I would have been ok but going from on my feet an hour a day to 5+ was tough.

To make things even worse my 74 year old mom had hers done 2 months before me and she is doing great. Yes it is 2 more months but my mom hasn't done anything in years. Even worse my 84 year old mother in-law had hers done 2 weeks before me and she is doing better then me.

I truly thought that I would be much further along then I am. I was hoping to be moving around without a cane and doing some light club swinging 🤷‍♂️

I Try to stay positive but it's not easy sometimes, thank God it is winter.

I will add that my flexibility is pretty good. I'm actually a little more flexible now then I was before the surgery

Last edited:
Everything you say, I am still having problems with. I just said to my PT person, that when I sit for 15 mins it feels like 3 hours...im so dam stiff when I get up. Just sitting here right now my thigh is throbbing. I feel like I have no thigh muscle at all. To be fair, my knee has been bad for a long time.

The scar is still very sensitive to touch. The massage at the end of PT is tough.

The worst part for me is the pain and stiffness. I'm still in a lot of pain. Talk to the Dr and of course he says I'm fine and its normal. Finally went back to work last week, It was very hard. If I had a desk job I would have been ok but going from on my feet an hour a day to 5+ was tough.

To make things even worse my 74 year old mom had hers done 2 months before me and she is doing great. Yes it is 2 more months but my mom hasn't done anything in years. Even worse my 84 year old mother in-law had hers done 2 weeks before me and she is doing better then me.

I truly thought that I would be much further along then I am. I was hoping to be moving around without a cane and doing some light club swinging 🤷‍♂️

I Try to stay positive but it's not easy sometimes, thank God it is winter.

I will add that my flexibility is pretty good. I'm actually a little more flexible now then I was before the surgery
I work from home. Was off 3 days then in a recliner with ice and 2 laptops. I can start light swinging but am waiting til march. Sitting is an absolute b*tch. Cant wait to golf. I just have to make sure the cart is stopped before i get out. So used to jumping out as it stops. That would hurt! Stay strong. Some days just absolutely suck!

I work from home. Was off 3 days then in a recliner with ice and 2 laptops. I can start light swinging but am waiting til march. Sitting is an absolute b*tch. Cant wait to golf. I just have to make sure the cart is stopped before i get out. So used to jumping out as it stops. That would hurt! Stay strong. Some days just absolutely suck!
I love my tens unit, My current situation

20230208_190214.jpg

What does it help with? I am having a day today. Almost all feeling in my knee is gone today. Its a very strange feeling
It is suppose to help with pain and relax the muscle. I think a lonot could be if you think it works it does. I think it works and I like using it but others have told me it doesn't work for them.

I say give it a shot, can't hurt. I like using it after a tough PT day.

Hope you feel better. 👊

What does it help with? I am having a day today. Almost all feeling in my knee is gone today. Its a very strange feeling
And for the lack of feeling. I have no feeling, since the surgery, in the left of my knee. They keep telling me its normal but they also say the feeling might never come back. It is very weird.

i am having knee replacement surgery next tuesday. i am nervous but very excited. i have not picked up a golf club in nearly 1.5 years, just can't swing through anymore, hoping this will help that. must importantly is being able to run around with my daughter, which i can not do right now.

just looking for some helpful tips on do's and don'ts from those that have had it or know someone who has. things you did that helped and things you wish you would have done or should not have done.

weird to think that i only have 5 more days of work then i am done for the year. lots of THP'ing coming up :love:
Hi Andy. Just thought I would check in and see how the rehab is going. I hope you have the success I did and what a life changer it was for me. It will be 8 years this coming June. Turning 68 in May and still trying to get my golf game in shape. Retiring later this year so more rounds in my future. Good luck again. 100% healing.

And for the lack of feeling. I have no feeling, since the surgery, in the left of my knee. They keep telling me its normal but they also say the feeling might never come back. It is very weird.
There is a nerve may just get stretched or that gets cut during knee replacement surgery. It is unlikely that sensation will return if the nerve was cut. So, in the majority of cases the sensation is unlikely to fully return, although it can happen. I have small spots on each of my knees that still are "numb" 9 years after having had both knees replaced.

As a side note. It took me until late last year to get over the weird feeling and started actually kneeling sometimes, though briefly, such as when getting up off the floor.

Back