Knee Replacement Golfers

We never stop golfing in SC. As long as knees cooperate. 🙄🙄🙄
That's what I love about our part of the country. It never stops.

Update, had a post op MD visit, all is well and better range (or earlier) than what they had expected.

Started outpatient/sports PT yesterday, it kicked my ass, later last night - as in trying to sleep and this morning too, I should have expected it, as the therapist said she was worried I would blow up the knee like a basketball. It didn't but still.

Painkiller (oxy), 1 a day or none. Tylenol - 4 a day. In 2 days I can start/resume taking NSAIDs -Ibuprofen or Naproxen and the supplements I had been taking.

Bored out of my head. Sleep is prison - as simply cannot get comfortable to sleep for any extended amount of time. Though it does seem to be improving a bit.
If you sleep on your side, place a pillow between your knees. It really helped me.

If you sleep on your side, place a pillow between your knees. It really helped me.
Oh f**k! Will try that tonight. Sleep is still escaping me most nights. I think i was ok this past weekend simply from total exhaustion.

Monday and Sunday we’re back to crappy sleep.

Oh f**k! Will try that tonight. Sleep is still escaping me most nights. I think i was ok this past weekend simply from total exhaustion.

I went through a spell when I couldn't sleep. I'm a side sleeper and the pillow between the knees helped. Then, I hit a point where I could fall asleep on my side but I could on my back when I put a couple of pillows under my new knee. That worked for a little while.

I went through a spell when I couldn't sleep. I'm a side sleeper and the pillow between the knees helped. Then, I hit a point where I could fall asleep on my side but I could on my back when I put a couple of pillows under my new knee. That worked for a little while.
Another find suggested a leg pillow that helps a lot on the back but I’m a side sleeper. So it gets kicked off before i crash. Then i sleep until i roll over and that goes on all night! It’s maddening (crazy). I end up getting a few short power naps in.

I did find, maybe, if i wear myself out i seem to sleep longer before the sleep move wake sleep thing starts up.

My replacement was on January 9th. I am a side sleeper and put the pillow between my knee down to the ankle. It helped a lot. There is some difficulty when you switch sides, but it is better than no sleep at all. As I said in a previous post - the MOST important thing is to be faithful with your rehab/physical therapy. I have already played two rounds of golf and going out again tomorrow.

My replacement was on January 9th. I am a side sleeper and put the pillow between my knee down to the ankle. It helped a lot. There is some difficulty when you switch sides, but it is better than no sleep at all. As I said in a previous post - the MOST important thing is to be faithful with your rehab/physical therapy. I have already played two rounds of golf and going out again tomorrow.
Nice. I’m very faithful to my PT. If anything I may overdo it. Very very sore and very pronounced limp from the tightness, that i cannot seem to shake. I’m ahead of the curve in mobility, so I’m told, the PT measurements. Just can’t shake the steps, down more than up, bending over to the floor and walking. Hope all this changes soon.

I’ll start chipping and half swinging soon.

Old school is right. Pillow between the knees will help.

Old school is right. Pillow between the knees will help.
I’m trying this tonight. I haven’t had a replacement but my knee pain is keeping me up at night. Thanks for the tip.

I’m trying this tonight. I haven’t had a replacement but my knee pain is keeping me up at night. Thanks for the tip.
It definitely helps. Bed Bath and Beyond used to sell a contour pillow just for that use. Amazon probably has something similar. The one I had before was like the one below but any pillow will help.

1710295666855.png

A number of things to update here today. In no special order and some good and some not so good but here goes.

Knee Pillow - mind blown - if it was mentioned earlier in the thread (not the last 8 or posts), I am sooooo sorry I missed it, because it HELPS. No idea if I was just so tired that I passed out or what, but I used a way too large throw pillow for a few nights and it was so so, but overall better than no pillow - so ordered something like what @SC Putter recommended, and last night was one of exactly 3 total nights decent (not like before surgery, but way better than most post surgery) sleep. I know that I had 2 nights were simply put, I just passed out from lack of sleep, but last night easier to fall back to sleep after moving around if the pillow was in use.

Knee pillow - if you have this surgery in the future - get it - assuming you are a side sleeper.

My job - the client has conveniently demanded (I say conveniently, as they have done this while I am out) that all employees on the contract go to the office 3 days a week. So, that sucks, really, it sucks. What's saddest is I helped them get a very robust tracking system for documentation across multiple contracts, multiple equipments (deliverables), and for about 15 contracts with hundreds of documents being developed, delivered, reviewed, modified and approved. I set it all up and they took it away, and have a novice doing the tracking/use of the tool. On the one hand I want them to fail and beg me to come back, on the other, I want it to be wildly successful and hope they remember what I established - which makes everyone in the program better. I will be 'on the bench' when I return for some period, I either find a job or will be released - the bench time is a great benefit but no idea how long it lasts, 2 weeks? 5 weeks? could be anything and not knowing does not help. Feels like I was laid off while out on disability.

Good news - hit some balls today. No significant pain, not sure I can tee the ball up or pick it out of the cup, but I started with 5 or so chips, then took fuller swings - PW total about 15 balls still no pain - so hit maybe 70% (no real idea), 8 iron - about 10 balls - bladed one hands hurt. Knee does not hurt.

May try to take a walk on the beach with my wonderful wife later today, just to try something different.

Have a great afternoon everyone, stay well.

EDIT: Heading to Hilton Head for the Heritage next month. I think I will bring my bag and hope to get a round in, my Brother in Law, his family, and a friend of his are all going, we (including long ball driver Julia), are as well - so could be a fun time if I am better suited to hit the ball - I have about a month - will try to hit about 15-25 balls a day, different clubs every day leading up to this.

A number of things to update here today. In no special order and some good and some not so good but here goes.

Knee Pillow - mind blown - if it was mentioned earlier in the thread (not the last 8 or posts), I am sooooo sorry I missed it, because it HELPS. No idea if I was just so tired that I passed out or what, but I used a way too large throw pillow for a few nights and it was so so, but overall better than no pillow - so ordered something like what @SC Putter recommended, and last night was one of exactly 3 total nights decent (not like before surgery, but way better than most post surgery) sleep. I know that I had 2 nights were simply put, I just passed out from lack of sleep, but last night easier to fall back to sleep after moving around if the pillow was in use.

Knee pillow - if you have this surgery in the future - get it - assuming you are a side sleeper.

My job - the client has conveniently demanded (I say conveniently, as they have done this while I am out) that all employees on the contract go to the office 3 days a week. So, that sucks, really, it sucks. What's saddest is I helped them get a very robust tracking system for documentation across multiple contracts, multiple equipments (deliverables), and for about 15 contracts with hundreds of documents being developed, delivered, reviewed, modified and approved. I set it all up and they took it away, and have a novice doing the tracking/use of the tool. On the one hand I want them to fail and beg me to come back, on the other, I want it to be wildly successful and hope they remember what I established - which makes everyone in the program better. I will be 'on the bench' when I return for some period, I either find a job or will be released - the bench time is a great benefit but no idea how long it lasts, 2 weeks? 5 weeks? could be anything and not knowing does not help. Feels like I was laid off while out on disability.

Good news - hit some balls today. No significant pain, not sure I can tee the ball up or pick it out of the cup, but I started with 5 or so chips, then took fuller swings - PW total about 15 balls still no pain - so hit maybe 70% (no real idea), 8 iron - about 10 balls - bladed one hands hurt. Knee does not hurt.

May try to take a walk on the beach with my wonderful wife later today, just to try something different.

Knee pillow - great idea and glad it’s working for you. I do lay on my side while my wife and I watch some TV before going to sleep, and it helps me. But I sleep on my stomach so I set the pillow by the side of the bed before shutting down.

As for your work situation, sorry to hear this. It would seem that if they let you go after your surgery you would have some recourse, but I’m not a lawyer so….

I’d be curious to learn more about the system you put in place for that customer. I used to do some similar things in the last part part of my career. Maybe PM me if you like!

Congrats getting some swings in! Best of luck with your further recovery!

EDIT: Heading to Hilton Head for the Heritage next month. I think I will bring my bag and hope to get a round in, my Brother in Law, his family, and a friend of his are all going, we (including long ball driver Julia), are as well - so could be a fun time if I am better suited to hit the ball - I have about a month - will try to hit about 15-25 balls a day, different clubs every day leading up to this.
Glad to hear the good things but hate to hear about the job.

Knee pillow - great idea and glad it’s working for you. I do lay on my side while my wife and I watch some TV before going to sleep, and it helps me. But I sleep on my stomach so I set the pillow by the side of the bed before shutting down.

As for your work situation, sorry to hear this. It would seem that if they let you go after your surgery you would have some recourse, but I’m not a lawyer so….

I’d be curious to learn more about the system you put in place for that customer. I used to do some similar things in the last part part of my career. Maybe PM me if you like!

Congrats getting some swings in! Best of luck with your further recovery!
It's all for the Navy, so cannot go into more detail, I have set these up for years for different clients, each time they get a bit better. I start in excel and use some formulas to establish due dates then tie them to contract or event dates, and after that, how long the govt has to review and reply. Once it's 'fluid' tested and all users are ok with it, it gets moved (not by me) by programmers to another MS tool and can be more robust where users simply need to put in dates, item IDs etc - and it actually becomes easier to use. Between those, we develop regular reports (on time, late, etc), and metrics - all set up to run at the punch of a button and some date parameters. Hope that helps or at least gives you a better idea. Happy to discuss via PM if you want more or need to get some sleep it's a most dry subject).

Glad to hear the good things but hate to hear about the job.
Me too man! But, they have been good to me. I may simply look for some short term jobs with them.

My first goal was employed to Jan 1 2024 (met that), then decided that I would shoot for Jan 1 2025 - that goal is not going to well - but we shall see. The company does some non DoD work that has shorter turnaround time - may be a good fit. They do lump sum 401k contributions - need to be employed on Jan 1 of that year to get them, so I want that extra $$ hence (now) Jan 1 2025 - and I would reassess after that (ideally).

That is great news as your recovery continues. Glad the knee pillow helped you get some sleep and reduce some pain.

Talk about bad timing with your job situation. That really sucks. Hopefully they will realize your value and you continue into the remainder of the year. Good luck.

Being able to hit balls with no pain at this point is very promising. Just take it slow. Best of luck on your continued progress JW. (y) 🥃cheers.

I am glad you're improving. That's just wonderful to hear.

Another positive, went to the beach this afternoon. A bit windy and cool, but Lori and the dog - Rocco and i had a good time. Just walked chatted and sat watching the waves.

Knee was VERY stiff upon return.

Life goes on!

Another positive, went to the beach this afternoon. A bit windy and cool, but Lori and the dog - Rocco and i had a good time. Just walked chatted and sat watching the waves.

Life goes on!
Keep it going. All movement helps to avoid build up of scar tissue. In the early months afterwards, ice bag helps.

Looks like you are doing better with first attempts to hit balls after the surgery than I did. For the first couple of sessions after my first replacement (right, trail knee) I was experiencing a lot of shanks on full swings as I was able to get my weight off that back leg for the first time in a long time. Continued good luck with the recovery!

Life goes on!
Keep moving and that stiffness will eventually go away. I’ve had 3 knee surgeries including one that was major(ACL replacement and torn MCLand PCL). My full recovery was about 18-20 months with several plateaus of progress along the way. It was frustrating but I stayed with my PT program and a big part of that was getting on my bike or stationary bike at least 5 days a week, especially that first 6 months after surgery. You’ll see a lot of progress the next few months. Good Luck!

I’ve had 3 knee surgeries including one that was major(ACL replacement and torn MCLand PCL). My full recovery was about 18-20 months with several plateaus of progress along the way.
Wow! Recovery from each of my total knee replacements was considerably shorter than that, less than 10 weeks to get the 'OK' from my surgeon to actually go play. I was hitting balls, full swing, weeks before that.

Looks like you are doing better with first attempts to hit balls after the surgery than I did. For the first couple of sessions after my first replacement (right, trail knee) I was experiencing a lot of shanks on full swings as I was able to get my weight off that back leg for the first time in a long time. Continued good luck with the recovery!
Not sure yet where they went. I’ll have to use the Rapsodo to see that. The 8 irons seemed to go way left, but my aim is likely way off right now too. Like you mins is the trailing (right) knee

Keep moving and that stiffness will eventually go away. I’ve had 3 knee surgeries including one that was major(ACL replacement and torn MCLand PCL). My full recovery was about 18-20 months with several plateaus of progress along the way. It was frustrating but I stayed with my PT program and a big part of that was getting on my bike or stationary bike at least 5 days a week, especially that first 6 months after surgery. You’ll see a lot of progress the next few months. Good Luck!
Funny, at the beach yesterday i said I’d like us both to start riding our bikes again soon.

Is also like to start going back to the gym, that will happen once I’m cleared to resume driving. And then the bike there will get lots of use.

Back