Knee Replacement Golfers

There was a VERY intense pain - from out of nowhere on Friday/Saturday
I had some intense spots of pain a couple of weeks out. One, I could tell was nerve pain and my doc had already told me that I could have these really intense zinging pains as the nerve regenerated. The other was different and would come out of nowhere. I could be standing up, sitting or lying down. After a bit, the pain would just disappear. I talked to my doc and he told something like you've just had some serious trauma in the joint and the bone has to grow or fuse to the implant and can cause pain. The body handles healing differently at different times for different people. I was scared that I had done something to knock everything cattywampus and screwed up the knee. He wasn't at all worried about short bursts of pain that were part of the healing process and doubted that it would still be happening after 2-3 months. Of course, he was right. I had a few more very short bursts then realized I hadn't had any when he asked at the 6 month check.

I had some intense spots of pain a couple of weeks out. One, I could tell was nerve pain and my doc had already told me that I could have these really intense zinging pains as the nerve regenerated. The other was different and would come out of nowhere. I could be standing up, sitting or lying down. After a bit, the pain would just disappear. I talked to my doc and he told something like you've just had some serious trauma in the joint and the bone has to grow or fuse to the implant and can cause pain. The body handles healing differently at different times for different people. I was scared that I had done something to knock everything cattywampus and screwed up the knee. He wasn't at all worried about short bursts of pain that were part of the healing process and doubted that it would still be happening after 2-3 months. Of course, he was right. I had a few more very short bursts then realized I hadn't had any when he asked at the 6 month check.
I am not sure I have had nerve pain as yet, but it's certainly possible, I think it was (is - still happens but seems to be a bit less - in duration anyway), the trauma. Thanks for sharing.

And, yes, I figure have them and not need them beats the alternative! I'll likely have enough pills to make the decision after the first session next week.

Thanks for sharing!

I was scared that I had done something to knock everything cattywampus and screwed up the knee.
I definitely felt that way, especially about kneeling. I swear, it took me almost ten years to get over the fear and the strange feeling of kneeling on these artificial knees before I finally gave it no thought.

@JW Smoove in a few months
I definitely felt that way, especially about kneeling. I swear, it took me almost ten years to get over the fear and the strange feeling of kneeling on these artificial knees before I finally gave it no thought.
I'm still trying. It just feels so weird.

Sounds like you are off to a real good start. Keep up with your PT. I’ll say one thing…..after my surgery, I had bruising from ankle all the way up to my butt! I’m talking black, blue, green colors!!!! I’m glad you set goals, it gives you something to look forward to!

Sounds like you are off to a real good start. Keep up with your PT. I’ll say one thing…..after my surgery, I had bruising from ankle all the way up to my butt! I’m talking black, blue, green colors!!!! I’m glad you set goals, it gives you something to look forward to!
Only bruising i can see is in the calf ares, I’m actually very surpassed by this.

Glad to read you're doing well!

Sideways walking without band added to repertoire today. Sleep sucked last night, needed s pain pill today. So 2 steps forward 1 step back. But did get in and out of my regular bed without help, it’s lower and foam both bad for knee people, progress.

Hey all, I know I'm not there yet... but with a timeline set by my surgeon of 6-10 years, and a cortisone shot given to me last Tuesday (I'm 6 weeks or so post op from my latest cleanup) which already kinda feels like it's wearing off..... do any of you have any thoughts or experience with the rooster comb injections I keep hearing about from different people?

Hey all, I know I'm not there yet... but with a timeline set by my surgeon of 6-10 years, and a cortisone shot given to me last Tuesday (I'm 6 weeks or so post op from my latest cleanup) which already kinda feels like it's wearing off..... do any of you have any thoughts or experience with the rooster comb injections I keep hearing about from different people?
Not sure about that, I’d that the series of 3 injections into the joint over 3-4 weeks? If so, mine wore off at about 4 months and i had heard from a lot of others that they lasted less each time and just prolonged the pain until the inevitable.

do any of you have any thoughts or experience with the rooster comb injections I keep hearing about from different people?
I had a few of the gel shots. The first one gave me a pretty nice period of relief - 9 or 10 months - after my last scope. But each successive one seemed to last about half the time or less than the preceding one. I knew a replacement was going to happen. The gel shots were just kicking the can down the road.

I had a few of the gel shots. The first one gave me a pretty nice period of relief - 9 or 10 months - after my last scope. But each successive one seemed to last about half the time or less than the preceding one. I knew a replacement was going to happen. The gel shots were just kicking the can down the road.
Yes - kicking the can. I did that (sort of) with a hip replacement, I decided with this issue, why deal with pain for however much longer by delaying the inevitable. With my hip I delayed a good 18 months or more. Wish I had that to rethink!

Started getting them ten years ago but two years ago they started helping less . I'm now over 90 % bone on bone and the pain is not to bad but my Dr. said it's time .

Sideways walking without band added to repertoire today. Sleep sucked last night, needed s pain pill today. So 2 steps forward 1 step back. But did get in and out of my regular bed without help, it’s lower and foam both bad for knee people, progress.
The one that got me were the squats. Stand up against a wall, squat while keeping the back against the wall, then straighten up.
I had the hyalgan shots. The first last about 10 months, and with each shot the relief lasted less and less, the same experience others have had. I don't know if it is the same today, but in 2014 they would not give those injections any sooner than 6 months apart. When the last shot I got lasted only a few weeks, I knew it was time to see the ortho about a possible knee replacement.

Update, had a post op MD visit, all is well and better range (or earlier) than what they had expected.

Started outpatient/sports PT yesterday, it kicked my ass, later last night - as in trying to sleep and this morning too, I should have expected it, as the therapist said she was worried I would blow up the knee like a basketball. It didn't but still.

Painkiller (oxy), 1 a day or none. Tylenol - 4 a day. In 2 days I can start/resume taking NSAIDs -Ibuprofen or Naproxen and the supplements I had been taking.

Bored out of my head. Sleep is prison - as simply cannot get comfortable to sleep for any extended amount of time. Though it does seem to be improving a bit.

@JW Smoove in a few months

I'm still trying. It just feels so weird.
i'm a little more then 1 year out and i still can't kneel yet. its hard to describe the feeling when i try. it's painful but not painful...yeah that doesn't make any sense i know. it is just such a weird feeling. i'm hoping i get there eventually.

i'm a little more then 1 year out and i still can't kneel yet. its hard to describe the feeling when i try. it's painful but not painful...yeah that doesn't make any sense i know. it is just such a weird feeling. i'm hoping i get there eventually.
I fully understand. We did a lot semi kneels with a chair yesterday. It's tough, and the knee is not smooth - click which they say is normal. So, time heals, and tons of PT.

I fully understand. We did a lot semi kneels with a chair yesterday. It's tough, and the knee is not smooth - click which they say is normal. So, time heals, and tons of PT.
i'm happy to see you are doing well. we all heal at our own pace but some of the guys on here are superman and were back golfing 1 month out. no clue how they did that. i still have not got back on the course yet. knee just doesn't feel stable enough for a full swing.

PT PT PT...rinse and repeat

JW. Glad you are doing well and forge ahead. With the outpatient PT you will make tremendous strides. Th "clicking" is normal. Mine still click on occasion and I am almost 9 years removed from my surgery. Trust me you life will change for the better after this. Keep swinging. :D

No replacement yet but I’ll be off my feet and the golf course for 4-6 weeks due to meniscus damage. Hoping R&R and rehab will prevent surgery at least for a while.

No replacement yet but I’ll be off my feet and the golf course for 4-6 weeks due to meniscus damage. Hoping R&R and rehab will prevent surgery at least for a while.
My daughter had a meniscus repair arthroscopic. I think her rehab was roughly the same as your R&R. Probably a bit longer but not extreme (like mine).

Good luck.

Good luck sir. You'll be back in no time. Good weather still about 4 to 6 weeks away.

Good luck sir. You'll be back in no time. Good weather still about 4 to 6 weeks away.
We never stop golfing in SC. As long as knees cooperate. 🙄🙄🙄

Back