Knee Replacement Golfers

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
It's my turn in exactly 2 weeks and 3.75 hours. Haha. 1PM 31 Jan.

FIrst off, for those on the fence, I will try to use this thread to share my misery.

Second, those who have had it done, can you offer any thoughts, tips etc? When did you get clearance to resume normal office working, driving, etc.

My background - sorry in advance for the detail (or lack of), but in my best David Byrne, "How did I get here?"

I had a left hip replacement in 2017, not sure how or why, no one else in my family ever had this, and my Mother who had Rheumatoid Arthritis never had it, she did have both feet and hands rebuilt and 3 total knee replacements. I don't have RA, and Dad was a very fit, boxer, baseball player, football player (both ways in HS), golfer (sort of trouble with irons but damn fun on course), hoopster too. And for kicks he dove off the cliffs at Acapulco and sparred with then HW champ Jack Dempsey. I was not as athletic, as I was never as dedicated (other than to golf). Dad still had a washboard stomach when I was a kid (his 5th), and he was in his 40s/50s with me still recalling that.

Sorry, so, I had the hip replacement and became rather sedentary, gained a shitton of weight, highest was 308, was on my way to Type 2, but lost the weight got in shape and now (after a year about 19 months in Charleston, have started to gain again, but now dieting to keep things in check, need/want to lose about 10-15 lbs - so nothing like the 300+ weight days. Type 2 is now off the table - clean blood etc. Until the knee blew out, I was gyming 3 times a week, biking 2 more - again not crazy maybe 10 miles at a stretch, jogged a 5 and 10 k annually and will be adding a 1/2 marathon in 24. Other than those 3 running events, my jogging is over, will move over to elipticals to protect the knee.

Ugh - sorry again, I am an open book - why say in 10 words what I can say in 10 pages. SMH at myself.

So, hip, fat, out of shape. Then after getting in shape and losing just short of 100lbs, I had rt foot plantar fasciitis - and would not bring it up other than it stayed with me for about 20+ months, after the knee blew out, I seem to have put together in my head that the hip lead to the foot and foot lead to the knee - one MD seemed to think so as well but who knows.

I went through a series of 3 gel shots in the knee that helped but wore off and I did not want to do that again, with my oldest looking at a wedding in late 24 or now early 25 I want to walk her down the aisle unencumbered. So surgery it is - and I want to be back golfing late summer (earlier if that's feasible). I hope to walk maybe job slightly the bridge 10k early April but that may be wishful thinking.

Thanks for staying this far, any tips experiences or other posts are welcome. I know from my hip PT, that knee people suffer and stuggle in PT but I am a very strong believer in PT and will dedicate myself to it that's how I get back out there sooner - and that is the ultimate goal.

Stay well everyone

I know a couple guys who have done in the last couple years and both are very happy and able to play pain free. One was only about 50 and had both done. They didn’t want to do it yet because of his age but he talked them into it. He had his done In January and was back to playing by May-June if I remember correctly.

I know a couple guys who have done in the last couple years and both are very happy and able to play pain free. One was only about 50 and had both done. They didn’t want to do it yet because of his age but he talked them into it. He had his done In January and was back to playing by May-June if I remember correctly.
Thanks - I am hopeful, but will be 64 in May so I assume that PT and recovery may take longer for an older person. Your friend is the 3rd double knee replacement I am aware of one fellow on here (@SC Golfer ), my mom (who must have been a real glutton for pain), both knees and both feet rebuilt all at the same time. I know it's done, but I am hoping that this is my last major surgery if things get back into normal alignment if not then I will plod along and do what needs to be done to be pain free and not a burden on family or society for that matter.

JW, Good luck with the surgery. I love the idea of having the bridge run/walk as a goal. I ran it before my two knee replacements about 10/12 years ago.
I will say two things and I hope you follow my advice.
1: Attack the PT like a warrior. Don't do the surgery unless you're willing to really do the PT work.
2: Be very careful with the pain killers' opioids they give you. They are VERY addictive. My kids still talk about how much I wanted more. Do not expect the medical team to look out for you. Make sure you and any family member look out for getting too much of that stuff.
The good news. You are going to lose some weight. Its a great way to start to get healthy again. Less weight mean less stress on your knees, hips, etc. Each step is about 2 1/2 times your body weight every time you walk.

My doc told me to think of it as a year long recovery process. Yes, you’ll be able to do things before a year is up but it’ll take at least a year before you’re at a point where you have a high level of confidence to do things that really push the knee.

He also told me that all recoveries are not the same. What you experience could (will) be different than I did so please don’t use someone else’s recovery as a measurement of where you should be.

No matter how good your surgeon is, he’s only as good as you are with PT. Do it diligently and with proper form. Therapy is a progression. You’ll feel great and want to do more, faster. Take it easy. It’s really easy to have a setback by overdoing it.

I was released to do what I wanted, and was able to do without pain, at about 7-8 weeks. But, I pushed it and had some setbacks. After that I took it slower. 5-6 months in, I was playing and was mostly free of pain.

I will be following along with your experience, as I had my right hip replaced 5 years ago this month. Before that my left knee took the brunt of my "issue" for 40+ years, so now I can hear the tearing and feel the grinding of bone on bone, especially going up & down stairs. So it's just a matter of time before the knee will need to be replaced.

I had both of my knees replaced in 2014 at age 66/67. The right knee was replaced in March, the left knee in October. Recovery from each was markedly different. With the right knee, I was in the hospital and in-patient rehab for a little under two weeks. With the left knee, I was sent home after 2 days. In both cases, I was putting and chipping in roughly 6 weeks, and hitting balls at roughly 8 weeks post op. However, I was not cleared to actually play until after about 10 weeks, the concern being that I might fall going up or down a slope, on wet grass, or getting in or out of a bunker.

There will be pain, so take the pain meds judiciously but try to stay ahead of the pain. Do the rehab and exercises you may be given religiously, but don't try to do any more than what they tell you that you are allowed to do. I was told to avoid running and jumping, certainly no basketball or football. Running and jogging can tend to cause the replacement, the polyethylene insert, to "wear out" sooner.

My best recommendation is to go here: https://bonesmart.org/

There is a treasure trove of information and the forums are full of supportive people. You will see that everyone is unique, and you can't and shouldn't judge how you feel and compare your recovery to others. That said, there are people that will have had the same experiences you will be going through. You will find a lot of support there.

Just had my right knee done on January 9th. Spent 30 hours in hospital then released. Have in-home therapy until next week when I see my surgeon and start rehab. The surgery went great and the therapists say that I am way ahead of where I should be at this point. The flex in my new knee was measured at 90% yesterday.
I have been very faithful in doing the pre-surgery exercises and in the post-surgery therapy sessions. This is the best advice I can give anyone who faces knee replacement: Do your exercises and work hard in rehab. If you do a successful recovery will happen. Good luck.

My doc told me to think of it as a year long recovery process. Yes, you’ll be able to do things before a year is up but it’ll take at least a year before you’re at a point where you have a high level of confidence to do things that really push the knee.

He also told me that all recoveries are not the same. What you experience could (will) be different than I did so please don’t use someone else’s recovery as a measurement of where you should be.
First try at replying to multiple posts. Agree with all you said, I am both eager and diligent with PT - in fact I did about 6 weeks of it between the almost end of the Plantar issue after receiving the 3rd shot - at that time, I was struggling - I am big on PT and in fact in my home office I have and use - about 3 times a week right now, the 24" blue ball for a couple PT exercises and the bands for several more of them as well as the long rope thing for the first couple stretches. So, like you and many others said if you are going to do it you need to commit to the PT and I am committed to both.
JW, Good luck with the surgery. I love the idea of having the bridge run/walk as a goal. I ran it before my two knee replacements about 10/12 years ago.
I will say two things and I hope you follow my advice.
1: Attack the PT like a warrior. Don't do the surgery unless you're willing to really do the PT work.
2: Be very careful with the pain killers' opioids they give you. They are VERY addictive. My kids still talk about how much I wanted more. Do not expect the medical team to look out for you. Make sure you and any family member look out for getting too much of that stuff.
The good news. You are going to lose some weight. Its a great way to start to get healthy again. Less weight mean less stress on your knees, hips, etc. Each step is about 2 1/2 times your body weight every time you walk.
PT is a given - I swear by it - my mom was already pretty beat up from the RA so she neglected the PT - and it showed. I am not that way, thankfully no RA just good old fashioned arthritis.

Funny you note the pain killer - I hate that stuff and really do not want to be on it any longer than needed - my goal for that stuff is 2 weeks or less then Naproxen and/or Ibuprofen (and bourbon ha!). That may be wishful thinking but I read too much and saw too much of people on those addictive meds - I do NOT want them in the house at all.

I am fortunate that I am only in sort of need to lose 15 lbs - so if this helps all the better. The bridge thing will be more fast walk (I am sure) that run/jog - and only becuase it's a family thing that we do. So I am hopeful that they will clear me to do it - its' 8-9 weeks post surgery. If I can golf by mid Jun I will be ecstatic.

I will be following along with your experience, as I had my right hip replaced 5 years ago this month. Before that my left knee took the brunt of my "issue" for 40+ years, so now I can hear the tearing and feel the grinding of bone on bone, especially going up & down stairs. So it's just a matter of time before the knee will need to be replaced.
That's where I am, down slopes/steps ugh not fun at all, bone on bone, I am awoken 1 to 3 times from sleep from some stupid pain spike from turning in my sleep. I am lucky (I guess) that it's my right knee (left hip was done in 2017). So the knee is not torqued from the swing.

If my postings help you (or anyone else) then great - that's why I am doing it.

I used to be terrified, absolutely terrified of MDs, hospitals, dentists, all that stuff - now I am pretty good with all of if and do as one should. It's the only life we get, I want to use it well.

I had both of my knees replaced in 2014 at age 66/67. The right knee was replaced in March, the left knee in October. Recovery from each was markedly different. With the right knee, I was in the hospital and in-patient rehab for a little under two weeks. With the left knee, I was sent home after 2 days. In both cases, I was putting and chipping in roughly 6 weeks, and hitting balls at roughly 8 weeks post op. However, I was not cleared to actually play until after about 10 weeks, the concern being that I might fall going up or down a slope, on wet grass, or getting in or out of a bunker.

There will be pain, so take the pain meds judiciously but try to stay ahead of the pain. Do the rehab and exercises you may be given religiously, but don't try to do any more than what they tell you that you are allowed to do. I was told to avoid running and jumping, certainly no basketball or football. Running and jogging can tend to cause the replacement, the polyethylene insert, to "wear out" sooner.

My best recommendation is to go here: https://bonesmart.org/

There is a treasure trove of information and the forums are full of supportive people. You will see that everyone is unique, and you can't and shouldn't judge how you feel and compare your recovery to others. That said, there are people that will have had the same experiences you will be going through. You will find a lot of support there.
Thanks for the link I will check it out. And, my MD said same about running. I used to do about 10 miles a week on treadmill - he suggested I kill that and move over to bikes and ellipticals. I figure the 3 things I want to - if I give up the rest, can't be that bad - but I will ask the MD what they think - I definitely do not want to have it done a second time.

Just had my right knee done on January 9th. Spent 30 hours in hospital then released. Have in-home therapy until next week when I see my surgeon and start rehab. The surgery went great and the therapists say that I am way ahead of where I should be at this point. The flex in my new knee was measured at 90% yesterday.
I have been very faithful in doing the pre-surgery exercises and in the post-surgery therapy sessions. This is the best advice I can give anyone who faces knee replacement: Do your exercises and work hard in rehab. If you do a successful recovery will happen. Good luck.
Agree with all this - my surgery is at 1PM so they say plan on an overnight - if it was in the AM I would be headed home barring any issues. Then 1-2 weeks in home PT/therapy followed by likely 6-12? more weeks of PT at the PT facility - which am well acquainted with and would prefer versus the in home - I feel they are more thorough. Glad you are doing well and having few if any issues.

I had both knees replaced in 2016 (left knee in March, right knee in October), and I cannot emphasize doing PT enough!! That will be the difference between successful and failed recovery. I started chipping/putting about two months out, and was able to full swing after three months. As far as painkillers go, if you can get through PT taking only NSAIDs, that's awesome! I stayed on hydrocodone throughout PT, tapering down after 8-10 weeks, then off after the 12th week. The pain meds definitely got me through PT, but the week after my last dose was miserable - I didn't have DTs or anything, but trying to sleep at night was impossible. Hope everything goes well for you!

I had both knees replaced in 2016 (left knee in March, right knee in October), and I cannot emphasize doing PT enough!! That will be the difference between successful and failed recovery. I started chipping/putting about two months out, and was able to full swing after three months. As far as painkillers go, if you can get through PT taking only NSAIDs, that's awesome! I stayed on hydrocodone throughout PT, tapering down after 8-10 weeks, then off after the 12th week. The pain meds definitely got me through PT, but the week after my last dose was miserable - I didn't have DTs or anything, but trying to sleep at night was impossible. Hope everything goes well for you!
It's my goal. Now will that work - who knows. But still, goal. I am hopeful. 3 months I would be very happy, but for me it's only right knee so fingers crossed maybe a bit sooner than 3 months if it is, it is.

It's my turn in exactly 2 weeks and 3.75 hours. Haha. 1PM 31 Jan.

FIrst off, for those on the fence, I will try to use this thread to share my misery.

Second, those who have had it done, can you offer any thoughts, tips etc? When did you get clearance to resume normal office working, driving, etc.

My background - sorry in advance for the detail (or lack of), but in my best David Byrne, "How did I get here?"

I had a left hip replacement in 2017, not sure how or why, no one else in my family ever had this, and my Mother who had Rheumatoid Arthritis never had it, she did have both feet and hands rebuilt and 3 total knee replacements. I don't have RA, and Dad was a very fit, boxer, baseball player, football player (both ways in HS), golfer (sort of trouble with irons but damn fun on course), hoopster too. And for kicks he dove off the cliffs at Acapulco and sparred with then HW champ Jack Dempsey. I was not as athletic, as I was never as dedicated (other than to golf). Dad still had a washboard stomach when I was a kid (his 5th), and he was in his 40s/50s with me still recalling that.

Sorry, so, I had the hip replacement and became rather sedentary, gained a shitton of weight, highest was 308, was on my way to Type 2, but lost the weight got in shape and now (after a year about 19 months in Charleston, have started to gain again, but now dieting to keep things in check, need/want to lose about 10-15 lbs - so nothing like the 300+ weight days. Type 2 is now off the table - clean blood etc. Until the knee blew out, I was gyming 3 times a week, biking 2 more - again not crazy maybe 10 miles at a stretch, jogged a 5 and 10 k annually and will be adding a 1/2 marathon in 24. Other than those 3 running events, my jogging is over, will move over to elipticals to protect the knee.

Ugh - sorry again, I am an open book - why say in 10 words what I can say in 10 pages. SMH at myself.

So, hip, fat, out of shape. Then after getting in shape and losing just short of 100lbs, I had rt foot plantar fasciitis - and would not bring it up other than it stayed with me for about 20+ months, after the knee blew out, I seem to have put together in my head that the hip lead to the foot and foot lead to the knee - one MD seemed to think so as well but who knows.

I went through a series of 3 gel shots in the knee that helped but wore off and I did not want to do that again, with my oldest looking at a wedding in late 24 or now early 25 I want to walk her down the aisle unencumbered. So surgery it is - and I want to be back golfing late summer (earlier if that's feasible). I hope to walk maybe job slightly the bridge 10k early April but that may be wishful thinking.

Thanks for staying this far, any tips experiences or other posts are welcome. I know from my hip PT, that knee people suffer and stuggle in PT but I am a very strong believer in PT and will dedicate myself to it that's how I get back out there sooner - and that is the ultimate goal.

Stay well everyone
Good luck with the surgery, hope everything goes smoothly.

Good luck with the surgery, I will be down this path someday but trying to prolong it as long as I can.

I had a full knee replacement about 2 years ago. The PT was much more involved and painful than the 2 hips I had done. But, it was very worth it. I was golfing within 8 weeks, and was very soon wondering why I put it off so long. No issues after the replacement and pain free golf is wonderful.

I had a full knee replacement about 2 years ago. The PT was much more involved and painful than the 2 hips I had done. But, it was very worth it. I was golfing within 8 weeks, and was very soon wondering why I put it off so long. No issues after the replacement and pain free golf is wonderful.
That’s how i felt delaying the hip for almost a year. And yes knee pt is major compared to hip. I watched the knee people during my hip rehab. I was wincing for them. Now I’ll be one of them.

Good luck with the surgery and recovery! I hope all goes well!

I had mine replaced at age 64. I am convinced that doing the rehab exercises before surgery helped me to heal faster. Pedaling on a stationary bike after surgery was productive for me in helping with flexibility/range of motion.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery---it is truly a game changer for the better.

Sounds like you have seen all the right things to do post surgery. Sort term pain to have a life free of pain and the ability to get yourself to a place of health that you want to be in. Good luck.

I had mine replaced at age 64. I am convinced that doing the rehab exercises before surgery helped me to heal faster. Pedaling on a stationary bike after surgery was productive for me in helping with flexibility/range of motion.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery---it is truly a game changer for the better.
Thanks will resume biking sometime after. I do not own an exercise bike but my gym has a lot of them - once I am able to drive myself to PT (2-3 weeks?) I may swing by the gym after and try that. Appreciate the tip!

I would offer a word of caution to anyone who is "putting off" knee replacement for as long as possible. That is exactly what I did before my first (left) knee replacement. I did everything possible to avoid the surgery all I managed to do was mess up my hip and make the knee even worse. If you are told you need replacement surgery - get it done. There is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion, but I would never tell anyone it was ok to put off getting your knee replaced. The difference in surgery from 2012 when I had my first replacement to now is amazing. In 2012 I spent three days in the hospital and 3 months in rehab. As I said in my previous post on this topic, on January 9th my surgery was at 10:00 in the morning and I was discharged the next morning. 30 hours in the hospital!

I have right knee set up for May . Interesting reading all the posts gives me more confidence that everything will go well . Good luck to everybody.

I have right knee set up for May . Interesting reading all the posts gives me more confidence that everything will go well . Good luck to everybody.
This right here, it’s why i started this thread to learn and maybe help others get past any concerns they may have.

Back