Knee Replacement Golfers

Wishing you luck on the surgery and recovery.

I had a hip replaced several years ago. I hated the opioid pain killers. Stopped taking them after two days. They made me feel awful tho they did numb the pain - and everything else! After that it was 800mg ibuprofen, and that did a pretty good job too. As others have said, be true to your therapy. Best of luck to those with upcoming surgeries.

Good luck and speedy recovery!

Ok. Had tkr on rt knee 12/1/22.
1. 366
Hrs post surgery the numbing wore off and life was hell for about 8 hrs. Absolute misery
2. I hope you have an ice machine. Ice is your friend. Use it. A LOT!
3. In home PT started within a week. DO THE EXCERCISES RELIGIOUSLY
4. I work from home. I took 3 days off. Wife set me up in a recliner with ice and laptops every morning
5. PT at a facility started 2 weeks after surgery. Wife took me for 2 weeks. No driving with pain pills and my rt leg was not ready for driving for a month
6. Did i mention to do the pt? My goal was golf april 1st. 5 months post surgery. Goal was met. I stretch every day.
7. Some days really sucked, others not so bad. Get through that 36 hr crap and will be ok. That part sucked!
Make sure to have a walker
Make sure you have a bathroom you can sit down in with that leg extended
Dont be stupid
Stay ahead of pain
Ice ice baby
Make sure you can get recliner down with one leg (i had my father in laws lift chair. That was awesome
Have questions? Ask away

I wish you the best tomorrow.

I’m mostly ready. Main concerns are the meds, how long were you in them before going to OTC pain killer?

And

How long till you were cleared to resume work?

I know we’re all different, but i am curious.

Stay well, I’m a big believer in PT as you are that will surely help us both.
When to transistion to OTC pain meds is an individual thing. You'll know when but the important thing is to not get behind the pain. You'll be playing catch-up which, to me, is very much worse than a day or two longer on the prescribed meds.

I went back to work after 2 weeks but I'm in a sedentary job and it wasn't a problem.

My replacement was done out-patient. I was at my PT's place the next day. I saw my doc a week to 10 days out for staple removal, IIRC. I think I had another bandage after that my PT managed. I think my next doc visit was at 4 weeks.

Thanks everyone. Fun ride starts at 1 tomorrow.

Went in about 1 now in recovery for the last 30 ish minutes locked spinal tap or whatever called. No grogginess but really a bit of panic as legs are basically still 100% numb. So weird and a balloon trap tap? Above my right knee for pain for the next 72 hours.

Right leg has a mullet no hair in front from just below crotch to ankle and hair in back.

Party time.

Sorry for and typos.

Always showing that you’re all #1 in my book!

I’m sure pain will rear its ugly head, but not yet.

Just relax and enjoy the meds. You'll be up and walking before you know it...which should be tomorrow!

3 hours +post op. First drug request. Feeling ok not great but ok. So i have a block above the knee that’s giving meds 24/7 hourly for 72 hours than discard.

But other than a panicky feeling that i could not move I’ll take the epidural over general 100% of the time waking up not groggy and being alert an incredible feeling now 90% or more of the epidural has worn off.

Won’t update all the time. But maybe this helps others. So will update as things go.

Overnight at hospital with an incredibly attentive staff. PT in the AM. then likely discharge, that’s when the fun begins or ends. Home pt for a week or so then sports pt. Also an ice/cold water pump thing for home use which will surely help too.

Recliner at home waiting for my sorry buttocks. Lori and Julia there to help too. And who can forget Rocco, who will without a doubt jab me in the wrong place with this over active nose.

What’s not to love. Stay well everyone!!

3 hours +post op. First drug request. Feeling ok not great but ok. So i have a block above the knee that’s giving meds 24/7 hourly for 72 hours than discard.

But other than a panicky feeling that i could not move I’ll take the epidural over general 100% of the time waking up not groggy and being alert an incredible feeling now 90% or more of the epidural has worn off.

Won’t update all the time. But maybe this helps others. So will update as things go.

Overnight at hospital with an incredibly attentive staff. PT in the AM. then likely discharge, that’s when the fun begins or ends. Home pt for a week or so then sports pt. Also an ice/cold water pump thing for home use which will surely help too.

Recliner at home waiting for my sorry buttocks. Lori and Julia there to help too. And who can forget Rocco, who will without a doubt jab me in the wrong place with this over active nose.

What’s not to love. Stay well everyone!!
Glad to hear you’re doing well. Get some rest, the easy part is behind you.

I want to laugh, but i know it’s true uphill for the next months to who knows how long.

Ok. So far staying ahead of pain. It’s usually 1-2. Not more. But woke up to heart burn. So they dosed me milk of magnesia (or similar). Hoping that does it. More meds between 2:30 and 4. I’m allowed after 2:30 but won’t ask unless i wake up to pain. They check vitals at 4 will ask regardless then (if not taken earlier).

Can one get heart burn from oxy? I’ve not eaten much today, but what i did eat was mostly carbs.

Not waiting till 4. Trying to be smart and screw it I’m awake. So something must hurt.

Tomorrow it is. All things are lined up and I try to keep it clean and not too graphic over the next week or more depending on how things play out. Fun times.
Good luck! Hope your outcome is great! Do no more nor any less than what you are told to do by your care team. Stay ahead of the pain is my biggest advice.

First PT this morning around 8. Been a rough night but pain has been managed well. Had/have a case of hiccups and heart burn…given that i have mostly drank water had a salad and salt free saltines or graham crackers not many of each I’m scratching my head as to why.

I think that has been more of a bother than the knee pain which has not gone 3-4…still, PT session 1 around the corner. Need to pass to go home.

The night nurse just said about the same thing. She said it’s all up hill from here.

but won’t ask unless i wake up to pain.
I don’t recommend this. Stay ahead of the pain, at least for the first week or do, will help you as you begin PT. Get behind and **** gets a lot harder than it has to be,

I don’t recommend this. Stay ahead of the pain, at least for the first week or do, will help you as you begin PT. Get behind and **** gets a lot harder than it has to be,
Yes that was posted around 1am. I guess what meant was i wanted to get the meds synced in. As it stands doing well keeping ahead on low doses. 5 to 10 mg so far. Regular internals. Pain seems to be around 1-3 occasional 4. To 5 mg about 730 should be fully kicked in when pt arrives, since so low (pain presently at 1-2) i can have more at after pt

I have had two knee replacements. Having PT after the op greatly helped me. Your doc can prescribe it for home. Good luck.

My TKR was on January 9th. Now walking without assistance, driving, and doing therapy. Pain mostly gone, more soreness & stiffness in knee. Saw my surgeon on the 29th and he said I should complete therapy by the end of February. My adivce for anyone getting replacement surgery - BE faithful doing rehab. It will make all the difference.

Back