Knee Replacement Golfers

Last OEM knee round scheduled for Wednesday, 1 week out from surgery. Weather is super to be nice light AM Rain, nice clear weather by 1130ish tee time.

I should walk it right? Get every last yard out of the knee? With the electric push cart that is.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. It sounds like you’re doing everything the right way. I just got my second total knee replacement surgery on Friday, so it’s still too soon to say how I’m progressing. I had my first knee replacement on September 7th, just over four months ago. Both of my procedures were done first thing in the morning and I was home by late afternoon.

On my first total knee replacement, I was back to golfing with zero pain in 6 weeks. Now that’s not to say I had full confidence in it because I still have my doubts. I did take the PT very seriously and am starting off the same way with this knee replacement. I’m 52 years old and got tired of the alleged quick fixes of cortisone shots and gel injections. To me it just prolongs the misery for it to wear off and start the whole process again. Not to mention your quality of life. I had plenty of friends that had replacements done and have had issues with it. And with my uneducated opinion the general consensus was they could have taken the therapy more seriously. I know this is just a general overview of my experiences and I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have. I’ll obviously be on my phone quite a bit theses next couple weeks 😂

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. It sounds like you’re doing everything the right way. I just got my second total knee replacement surgery on Friday, so it’s still too soon to say how I’m progressing. I had my first knee replacement on September 7th, just over four months ago. Both of my procedures were done first thing in the morning and I was home by late afternoon.

On my first total knee replacement, I was back to golfing with zero pain in 6 weeks. Now that’s not to say I had full confidence in it because I still have my doubts. I did take the PT very seriously and am starting off the same way with this knee replacement. I’m 52 years old and got tired of the alleged quick fixes of cortisone shots and gel injections. To me it just prolongs the misery for it to wear off and start the whole process again. Not to mention your quality of life. I had plenty of friends that had replacements done and have had issues with it. And with my uneducated opinion the general consensus was they could have taken the therapy more seriously. I know this is just a general overview of my experiences and I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have. I’ll obviously be on my phone quite a bit theses next couple weeks 😂
I’m mostly ready. Main concerns are the meds, how long were you in them before going to OTC pain killer?

And

How long till you were cleared to resume work?

I know we’re all different, but i am curious.

Stay well, I’m a big believer in PT as you are that will surely help us both.

I had my left knee replaced 1 year ago. It has been a long recovery for me....actually I am still recovering.

Best advice is religiously do your PT....rinse and repeat. And if they give you pain meds TAKE THEM. Don't be some kind of hero.

Message me anytime for help, advice, to b*tch etc

I went back to work after 6 weeks. Light duty status was accommodated because I’m in an office. But just like my doctor had allowed me to golf was doing it at my own pace.

I was off the oxycodone after 4 days and I plan to use them till tomorrow and I’ll switch over to tramadol for a week and a half. When I saw my doctor to have my stitches removed after two weeks all I was taking was Tylenol and he approved me to start driving again. I’m expecting not to get cleared to drive as early this time because this replacement was on my right knee. So it may take another week or two to get my strength up.

I know everyone’s pain level is different but the only pain I feel is my quad muscles are very tender but my knee where I had all the pain prior to surgery isn’t there. I golfed the day before surgery to try and get one last round, which I highly recommend if you can 😬

I went back to work after 6 weeks. Light duty status was accommodated because I’m in an office. But just like my doctor had allowed me to golf was doing it at my own pace.

I was off the oxycodone after 4 days and I plan to use them till tomorrow and I’ll switch over to tramadol for a week and a half. When I saw my doctor to have my stitches removed after two weeks all I was taking was Tylenol and he approved me to start driving again. I’m expecting not to get cleared to drive as early this time because this replacement was on my right knee. So it may take another week or two to get my strength up.

I know everyone’s pain level is different but the only pain I feel is my quad muscles are very tender but my knee where I had all the pain prior to surgery isn’t there. I golfed the day before surgery to try and get one last round, which I highly recommend if you can 😬
One thing to add, my doctor fully cleared me at MMI on December 1st with no restrictions. Although he said not to be running, jumping or playing football which all those days are long gone for me anyway.

I had my left knee replaced 1 year ago. It has been a long recovery for me....actually I am still recovering.

Best advice is religiously do your PT....rinse and repeat. And if they give you pain meds TAKE THEM. Don't be some kind of hero.

Message me anytime for help, advice, to b*tch etc
Thanks. I think I’ll keep things in here, did entertainment value or to keep others who may need this, um, aware of progress and failure.

One thing to add, my doctor fully cleared me at MMI on December 1st with no restrictions. Although he said not to be running, jumping or playing football which all those days are long gone for me anyway.
Roughly 3 months! Great to hear!

Keep the wounds clean and don't over do the rehab. Do what is put in front of you to the best of your ability but those that over do it always develop complications and increased chances of infection. Reach out if you need anything or if I can answer any questions for you. If I don't have the answer, I'll be able to get it.

Keep the wounds clean and don't over do the rehab. Do what is put in front of you to the best of your ability but those that over do it always develop complications and increased chances of infection. Reach out if you need anything or if I can answer any questions for you. If I don't have the answer, I'll be able to get it.
Appreciate that. So one thing. I don’t have a medical followup (barring complications) for close to a month. So I’m assuming the incision will be super glued? I mean with my hip i think it was about 10? Days to staple and that stick on covering removal?

The 30 day was made when i was scheduled, maybe there is another made at surgical center for something earlier or different?

I’ll be 41 in a couple weeks. I had mine done when I was 34 or 35. I also had a tumor removed at the same time in my knee.

It sucked and it hurt and while my knee is so much better than before it is still always in pain.

The knee itself isn’t as much of an issue but everything else is so I know my story is not a fair comparison.

You need to get going on PT and take it seriously. That’s the best advice I can give.

I read some about the drugs and addiction. Luckily I don’t have that kind of personality, so it wasn’t a big deal to me but I know plenty of people who have had issues big or small with it.

Appreciate that. So one thing. I don’t have a medical followup (barring complications) for close to a month. So I’m assuming the incision will be super glued? I mean with my hip i think it was about 10? Days to staple and that stick on covering removal?

The 30 day was made when i was scheduled, maybe there is another made at surgical center for something earlier or different?
On both of my knees I had a follow up appointments at two weeks. For me anyway, yours might be different, but at two weeks is when they removed my stitches and that’s the plan on this one as well.

I’ll be 41 in a couple weeks. I had mine done when I was 34 or 35. I also had a tumor removed at the same time in my knee.

It sucked and it hurt and while my knee is so much better than before it is still always in pain.

The knee itself isn’t as much of an issue but everything else is so I know my story is not a fair comparison.

You need to get going on PT and take it seriously. That’s the best advice I can give.

I read some about the drugs and addiction. Luckily I don’t have that kind of personality, so it wasn’t a big deal to me but I know plenty of people who have had issues big or small with it.
What do ascribe the residual pain to?

I would imagine you will be seen 1 week out for wound evaluation and staple removal. The 30 day is likely an evaluation and rehab ordeal

I would imagine you will be seen 1 week out for wound evaluation and staple removal. The 30 day is likely an evaluation and rehab ordeal
Thanks. Rehab begins same day, then about 1-2 weeks of it in house, then I’ll go to my PT practice that is sports med related.

I was/am still a bit confused as to why they scheduled me 30 days out, but not 7-10 days out.

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks. Rehab begins same day, then about 1-2 weeks of it in house, then I’ll go to my PT practice that is sports med related.

I was/am still a bit confused as to why they scheduled me 30 days out, but not 7-10 days out.

Appreciate your reply.
I can not see a scenario in which you are a month out for a follow up examination of a surgical wound. Something will be done before then.

I have right knee set up for May . Interesting reading all the posts gives me more confidence that everything will go well . Good luck to everybody.
It may have been from playing so much golf and for so many years, but it is interesting that my trail leg was knock-kneed and my front leg bowlegged. Thus, the only real issue I had with either knee replacement (mine were done separately) was with the first one. Due to arthritis in my lower spine, the anesthesiologist for that operation didn't give me a spinal, just a femoral block. That worked great for the knee itself, but if one is knock-kneed or bowlegged, they straighten the leg as part of the procedure. As a result, muscles that were shortened on one side of my leg from being knock-kneed for many years got stretched and when I woke up from the anesthesia my muscular pain was intense to say the least. It actually took them two hours to get my pain under control. From that point on, by comparison, everything else was a piece of cake. A different anesthesiologist, for the 2nd replacement, kept moving up the spine until she was able to actually insert the needle and give my a spinal. No pain issues to speak of as a result when I woke up in the recovery room for that one.

Whether you are in the hospital for one day like I was with the 2nd one, or even longer like I was with the first, they will keep you comfortable with pain medications. I did find that in the hospital certain pain meds worked better than others, though I can't recall which.

It may have been from playing so much golf and for so many years, but it is interesting that my trail leg was knock-kneed and my front leg bowlegged. Thus, the only real issue I had with either knee replacement (mine were done separately) was with the first one. Due to arthritis in my lower spine, the anesthesiologist for that operation didn't give me a spinal, just a femoral block. That worked great for the knee itself, but if one is knock-kneed or bowlegged, they straighten the leg as part of the procedure. As a result, muscles that were shortened on one side of my leg from being knock-kneed for many years got stretched and when I woke up from the anesthesia my muscular pain was intense to say the least. It actually took them two hours to get my pain under control. From that point on, by comparison, everything else was a piece of cake. A different anesthesiologist, for the 2nd replacement, kept moving up the spine until she was able to actually insert the needle and give my a spinal. No pain issues to speak of as a result when I woke up in the recovery room for that one.

Whether you are in the hospital for one day like I was with the 2nd one, or even longer like I was with the first, they will keep you comfortable with pain medications. I did find that in the hospital certain pain meds worked better than others, though I can't recall which.
So, I am told this is usually 100% outpatient (for surgeries in the AM) and for the PM surgeries (including mine), it's a lets see when he wakes up and how he does with the post op PT to decide on an overnight stay or if I go home. But, curve ball, I too have a knock-kneed right knee - the one they are fixing. No idea why, And when I was in presurgical PT they said yes, you do, but it's not super pronounced. So no idea how this will play out. 10 days out. Plan to hit a few balls in the net this afternoon, round on Wednesday, maybe hit a few balls again Sunday (or sooner), have a some friends coming for the weekend may change what time I have for swinging clubs after Friday.

Very interesting info about the being knocked kneed. I’m knock kneed in both legs. After both surgeries, my quads have been pretty sore. I was told that was because of the tourniquet they use during the procedure, but I don’t really know. One thing I’m thankful for is only getting one knee done at a time. I originally told the doctor I wanted them both done together. The doctor said he doesn’t typically do that and I’m grateful that I didn’t. Knowing what I know now, I couldn’t imagine that recovery.

Also one more thing is to make sure you continue to work on your scar after the surgery, once it’s healed enough. The scar on my knee is pretty tender and I think if would have continued to work on it, it wouldn’t be as sensitive as it is.

Very interesting info about the being knocked kneed. I’m knock kneed in both legs. After both surgeries, my quads have been pretty sore. I was told that was because of the tourniquet they use during the procedure, but I don’t really know. One thing I’m thankful for is only getting one knee done at a time. I originally told the doctor I wanted them both done together. The doctor said he doesn’t typically do that and I’m grateful that I didn’t. Knowing what I know now, I couldn’t imagine that recovery.

Also one more thing is to make sure you continue to work on your scar after the surgery, once it’s healed enough. The scar on my knee is pretty tender and I think if would have continued to work on it, it wouldn’t be as sensitive as it is.
Scar tissue, yes, i forgot about that. Fortunately, my wife has not. Already had some vitamin e stuff and i will be sure note that at PT. My last surgery, PT did a lot of scar tissue massage for exactly that reason, thank you for the reminder.

Great stuff in here, thanks for sharing your journey!

I just had a cleanup in my right knee, lots of arthritis and had a full patellar tendon tear in the same one about 6.5 years ago and it was the worst thing I've ever done to myself between the pain and the recovery. I remember walking in to the PT clinic one day, I was about 3 months along after my surgery and was thrilled to be walking with a cane... this guy walked in at the same time and we looked like we were about the same place in our journey, until he piped up and said he was a week past from his knee replacement! :LOL: I was so bitter, lol!

My surgeon told me I'm about 6-10 years away from a replacement myself, due to the damage I've done to it in my life at 54 years old. Apparently the Army, being a baseball catcher, and playing basketball up until my most recent surgery wasn't good for my body.... who knew? ;):LOL:

Good luck with the recovery, I'll be joining this crew at some point down the road! 🍀

I had both knees replaced in 2016 (left knee in March, right knee in October), and I cannot emphasize doing PT enough!! That will be the difference between successful and failed recovery. I started chipping/putting about two months out, and was able to full swing after three months. As far as painkillers go, if you can get through PT taking only NSAIDs, that's awesome! I stayed on hydrocodone throughout PT, tapering down after 8-10 weeks, then off after the 12th week. The pain meds definitely got me through PT, but the week after my last dose was miserable - I didn't have DTs or anything, but trying to sleep at night was impossible. Hope everything goes well for you!
That's always been my clue to stop the narcotic painkillers... when I "need" something to help get to sleep, it's time.

Tomorrow it is. All things are lined up and I try to keep it clean and not too graphic over the next week or more depending on how things play out. Fun times.

Back