Looks like I have a GOLFTEC 15 minutes from our Houston house. I'm going to check them out when we get down there!

For those getting lessons through golftec, if you have recevied lessons before was it through a golf course? also does there seem to be a difference between a lesson at a golf course and a golftec lesson?

For those getting lessons through golftec, if you have recevied lessons before was it through a golf course? also does there seem to be a difference between a lesson at a golf course and a golftec lesson?
I have done both, and will let others go through it, but to me the fundamentals are the same.
I didnt have to worry about good grass or range balls which is nice. Instructor used similar mechanics, which I also liked.

There is one about 3 minutes from
My house. I might head in there this winter after seeing this feedback

I've done two sets of lessons previously through a course and a training center (outside on a range).

Like @JB said, the fundamentals were the same but this time, through GolfTec, I feel like Degnan is tweaking what I have instead of trying to get me to do it his way like the other fellas. For now, it seems to be sticking a lot more and actually working vs not and getting frustrated.

I've done two sets of lessons previously through a course and a training center (outside on a range).

Like @JB said, the fundamentals were the same but this time, through GolfTec, I feel like Degnan is tweaking what I have instead of trying to get me to do it his way like the other fellas. For now, it seems to be sticking a lot more and actually working vs not and getting frustrated.
That’s good, always nice when they build off of what you already have rather then a tear down and restart situation.

I know golftec lessons helped @goalie a ton at the end of last year.

I want to do it because it's so easy to just drive up there but the prices seem high because they want to sell you packages.

I know golftec lessons helped @goalie a ton at the end of last year.

I want to do it because it's so easy to just drive up there but the prices seem high because they want to sell you packages.

They are pricey for sure. Currently works out to about $160 per lesson because they're no on sale. But if they work and work well, they are certainly worth it.

I'm trying to work out how I'm going to come up with the money for more lessons after my package is over.

Its happening. Starting in a couple of months. Pretty excited.

rebooked mine for my next day off next Wednesday, this round of covid hit me a lot harder than I originally expected..tried swinging yesterday, got light headed before even finishing my warm up and getting to full swings. Feeling even better today though. I took a look at the coaches my Golftec offers, not sure who I'm going to go with. One of the coaches I'm familiar with because he plays in a lot of scrambles with my roommate and his team always wins by an absurd number. But I'm excited to see who I get paired up with, hopefully their teaching style pairs well with my learning style. Wedges and trying not to be as flippy are the two things I desperately need work on.

I've had several lessons over the years at GolfTec and there's definitely some pros and cons that I've felt

Pros

1) Very data driven - this is what I enjoy most. They used to have a harness you'd have to wear, but now with the OptiTrak tech that they built, there's nothing you have to wear. They can get all the angles and see all the turn ratios. This is very useful to me when i have questions about like "how do i start the downswing", "what do i look like in transition", and most recently - "where am I leaking power"

2) Great video tech - can easily see every frame and motion. It's high quality and high speed. I especially like it for practice sessions outside of lessons, as you can advance frame by frame to really see both down the line and face on what your swing looks like

3) Example led advice - they have a large video library of pros and can show you the differences between your swing and better swings step by step

4) Price - it's not as pricey per lesson as some instructors out there - so they really do compete (especially with the tech they have)

Cons

1) They baseline to pros - let's face it, I'm not nor will I ever be a pro. My swing won't ever look like there's (especially at my age!). It's a great aspirational target but my body isn't going to contort like theirs :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Sometimes I just need help with my swing and my limitations and I haven't yet found a GolfTec instructor that can help me with that outside of the pros swing

2) Commute - I wish they were in more locations. There's one about 20-25mi from me that I can go to, if I can wrap the schedule around the commute and rush hours here in Houston. One down the road (like the swing instructor I go to) is far more convienient

3) Inside numbers - you are hitting off of mats and inside. The good is in that it takes all variables out of the equation - the con is that it means you aren't taking that swing to the course and learning how to adjust to the conditions. I really think if you are going to use GolfTec, it really must be paired with on course practice and range practice

Bottom line for me - there's great insights about your swing you can get from GolfTec that's hard to get anywhere else, but that doesn't replace practice and work on the course and range
It is not bad instruction. I have done the Swing Eval. twice, and both times, it was the same problem. I start swaying in the backswing, which was pulling me off the ball. First time I had the "vest". This last time was in March '23, and it was different. Anyway, the coach said that my set up was mint! All green mumbers! I told him I was self taught for the most part, so I did appreciate that compliment. Points in the swing were ok, except when I got to the backswing. Body was off the ball, so in turn, errant shot. So, he drills me a little on how to correct the sway, and the "numbers" on my swing got even better! They use red, yellow, green, and blue to highlight the numbers. Blue being as good as it gets. Once he corrected my flaw with the drill, he let me hit some balls without him helping me, and he said the numbers were great, even some in the blue. So, after that, it was homework time! Take this knowledge, and practice this swing, till it gets ingrained. And, they give you a place to go on the web to look at your lesson, before and after.. Been a lot better, but I just don't play enough...

About to head to my swing evaluation in an hour. Can't wait!

About to head to my swing evaluation in an hour. Can't wait!
Keep an open mind, even if you really don't like what they say. We all have our own perception as what our swing looks like, or how it feels. If you can't get to a place in the swing, such as, you can't turn as far as coach would like, tell him you are limited. I did, because of my age, I can't turn that far, with my back to the target. I was going on 60 the first time, and the coach told me I need to stretch. He didn't like it, but I said my swing goes from here to here. Was a little cold to me after that.. I thanked him for the help when leaving..This last time in March, the coach was more helpful, and asked me where I would like to be with my game. I told him more consistent with ball striking..He said practice the drill he gave me, and let him know at the end of the year if I was better on the course. Smacked my driver in the 240 range about 4 times last round, when I did check the yardage, in the fairway!! Might take some swing instruction over the winter, just to make me more consistent, especially off the tee. Good luck with your SE!!

New adventure, I love it.

I'm just sick of fearing woods. I'm SUPER over it. Wondering if it's GolfTec or electroshock therapy.
I’m actually pretty eager. Had a friend completely eliminate over the top move in 2-3 sessions.

I’m actually pretty eager. Had a friend completely eliminate over the top move in 2-3 sessions.
That’s intriguing- I know GolfTec has gotten some bad reviews in the past, it sounds like there’s been some improvements and advances in the coaching. Like everything I’m sure it’s instructor dependent, but I may take a look at the two close by here myself.

Wow. One lesson in and I’m playing the best golf I’ve played in 4 years. They got me to stop sucking the club inside and coming in too steep to the ball. I feel like I’m swinging my old way again. Now I have 13 lessons left to tweak things.

I ended up shooting a 78 today. That included 10 pars and two birdies. This is the best golf. I have shot since before the pandemic. I have another appointment Friday morning at GolfTec. I am still hitting the ball way too low on the face with my driver, so hopefully we can correct that.

So the swing evaluation/lesson went well. Spent a lot of time talking with the coach. Going over goals and past experiences. Started off with couple swings. Right away two flaws that were easy to correct. Shoulders were too open and hips weren't rotating enough/early enough. Instantly felt more solid contact. The next big issue we tackled was my shoulders over rotating and separated which was leading to slightly over the top swing occasionally. That was a little harder to fix, but I believe we came up with a solution. The hour swing evaluation ended up going almost a half hour over. I probably only took about 20 swings the entire time. Very effective changes. He gave me some drills to work on. Probably will schedule the next one in a couple weeks. Going to try to grove these changes. We picked out probably 2 or 3 more things to deal with in the future, so definitely excited for that. Was a great experience. Having swing videos , lesson notes, and drills in the app make it very easy to keep up with the changes.

Linking a couple videos
Before swing - https://gt.golf/Msr0zY
After swing - https://gt.golf/85uFDa

Back