Getting old sucks: Post your ailments

I do well with all the stupid things i have done in my life, running, Softball, Parachuting, racing, not to mention 26 years in the Air Force and the sports. Last weekend my match was closed out and my buddy hit his ball left off the green. I went over to help find it and there was a slope to a creek. Long drop after the steep slope. I saw his ball and he was gonna have to take a drop, lost my footing, flipped over a log after i broke a branch with my chest, stopped the slide and did not go for the 30 foot drop to the creek bed. my left thigh still hurts

So the bestest half said, " how much is a golf ball....?"

Last edited:
Just the build up of a long and active life's injuries. For example, I broke my right shoulder, and shattered my left wrist, in separate dirt bike racing injuries, and still have a Ti plate in the wrist. I don't have pain from those two injuries, but I do have a bit of reduced mobility from both, which restricts the length of my back swing in golf. I also have a degenerative disc in my lower back, again, it doesn't bother me most of the time, but occasionally I'll just aggravate it somehow and be in pain for a few days.

Other than the build up of old injuries, it just gets harder and harder to stay in shape, and keep my weight down at an acceptable level. It's so easy to find myself 20 lbs overweight, and so hard to do anything about it.

just gets harder and harder to stay in shape, and keep my weight down at an acceptable level. It's so easy to find myself 20 lbs overweight, and so hard to do anything about it.
Definitely agree with this. I got myself down to 179 last year but it was A LOT of work and strict eating.

I went back to a ‘normal’ diet and 6 months later BAM back to 200lbs.

L4 L5 Herniated disc and daily sciatica pain.

It's pure hell.
I blew out a disc in my back when I was 26 and have lived through that since. It's awful.

Perfect timing.

Last week had a pinched nerve or something in my shoulder/neck and that sucked.

Now some slight discomfort in my left Achilles.

Definitely agree with this. I got myself down to 179 last year but it was A LOT of work and strict eating.

I went back to a ‘normal’ diet and 6 months later BAM back to 200lbs.
Sam's I e gained 18 lbs since my lowest so hard because "maintenance" is just gain weight 🤬

Sam's I e gained 18 lbs since my lowest so hard because "maintenance" is just gain weight 🤬
It sucks man. I got to where I wanted. Thought ‘Ok, now I can lossen up the diet but still go to the gym 4x a week and be ok.’

I haven’t missed a gym day in idk how long but it doesn’t matter

Degeneration of the spine, burst disc in lower back, tendinitis in left wrist, type 2 diabetes anb chronic sinus infections. At 68 years old, things could be a lot worse.

I blew out a disc in my back when I was 26 and have lived through that since. It's awful.
January 2021 I did. Pain is daily, but thankfully I can tolerate it and enjoy playing golf again.

January 2021 I did. Pain is daily, but thankfully I can tolerate it and enjoy playing golf again.
yea mine was the first 2 years after that was life altering. Now it just makes me feel 20-30 years older some days haha. I couldn't stand up and stand still for more than about 15 seconds without having excruciating pain for the first 6-9 months after it happened.

Other than the build up of old injuries, it just gets harder and harder to stay in shape, and keep my weight down at an acceptable level. It's so easy to find myself 20 lbs overweight, and so hard to do anything about it.
oh man do I feel this. At 51 and 40lbs over where I"d like to be it's so hard to try to get in shape. Even the shortest of jogs/runs leaves me winded. Trying to lift weights leaves me sore for a week. I really just need to suck it up and do it but it hurts everywhere!

when you have a sleep-induced injury, you know you're old
Actually make sure your bed is still working for you!!! I went through a period in my late 20s where I'd wake up and my back was killing me. Figured out it was the bed. Got a new one and haven't had a back issue since!

Now for the original topic... I have a bad left ankle. It makes it hard for me to fully rotate and get onto that foot so I tend to flare it out

Facing right knee replacement in the future. Have a hernia that will have to be surgically repaired. Have been waiting for golf season to be over to schedule it.

At 75 yrs. old something always hurts.

Thank goodness for extra strength Tylenol. Long list of ailments that have learned to live with including rotator cuff (physio constant etc), right elbow (recent), L5/L6 breakage/scar tissue, ring finger bone bone decay (cortisone shots) and calf pain constant. This are the major ones that I live with daily. Many thanks to the chiropractors & PT’s out there.

From an MRI report:

IMPRESSION: Multilevel degenerative change as detailed above, worst at L4-L5
where there is severe degeneration of the bilateral facet joints.

Along with arthritis in the wrist and hands, no wonder I am not only not a + player any more, I have come close to double digits a couple times. But I'm still here.

Too many to list
2 bad shoulders am a sprinkler fitter by trade lots of overhead wrenching. Grade 1.5 spondylosis at my SI /L5 joint and general arthritis in every joint. Some years I can play every weekend some years not so much.

Like recent stuff, or nagging stuff? If we want to hit 9M posts, I can hit it tonight going one by one...

Well I’m set up for a new knee in January 2024. I’ll stop there.

I wake up pretty much every day with a locked up back. Stupid hockey.
Right elbow definitely has some damage in it, and knees are on the daily option program hahaha

Can't wait for my 50s.
Hockey injuries suck now but were so worth it back then

2 fusions in my neck along with a shoulder that was severely dislocated at the same time. One bone was a clean break and one was shifted. All were from a Mx injury in ‘93. Had bone scraped off my right hip to aid in fixing them. Was flat on my back for 13 days in hospital over this. Numerous injuries as a youngster from my BMX days as well. Scars everywhere! Was down 3 months in a foot boot due to an inflamed Achilles that was to the point I could barely walk. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tic bite and Covid Pneumonia twice. I feel the effects of all from time to time. Father Time is catching up to me, and I’ll only be 55 come January! Some days are diamonds, some are dust🤣

Have had two injections in my left knee in 5 months for early osteoarthritis (mid-40s). Trigger fingers in both hands sometimes (got shots for those last month, too).

First rib, two neck muscles, and pec minor removed on both sides in 2018 for thoracic outlet syndrome and nerve impingements. Still have some nerve issues with my right side. But at least I can play golf again. Could be worse. (y)

Have had two injections in my left knee in 5 months for early osteoarthritis (mid-40s). Trigger fingers in both hands sometimes (got shots for those last month, too).

First rib, two neck muscles, and pec minor removed on both sides in 2018 for thoracic outlet syndrome and nerve impingements. Still have some nerve issues with my right side. But at least I can play golf again. Could be worse. (y)
I get trigger finger sometimes, it’s aggravating.

I'm amazed and dissapointed to see how much the health of my body impacts my golf swing. When the back it tight or hurting, my stance is poor and results are too. When the left knee is hurting, I don't post on it well. Even if I think I can play, I am playing in a compromised state. Injuries suck. Age means we all play with some level of disability and they all impact our golf

signed, just happy that I can walk a course pain free.

63 years old so a little bit of everything. Starting PT tomorrow for a pulled muscle in my back.

Back