Flagstick In or Out

Certainly improves the putting stats.

Truth be told, I am kind of done trying to be good. I am more interested in playing for fun. Ever since I got fitted with my news irons I have hit some fantastic shots and for some reason I lost the interest to score (like the grinding part of the game). I'd rather sip chat and hit good shots. I focus more on Par's and Birdies and just whatever the rest lol.

Of course this happens right after I finally get my launch angle and spin figured out of my irons.

In. No bounce outs in '23... Wife tends to hit it from mid-long distance and probably does better, proximity wise, hitting it rather than skipping across at mach 2...

I have no real preference. I would think that a putt at correct speed would still drop a good portion of the time. Maybe I’m wrong. If you like to jam it in the back of the cup on short puts then they might have a tendency to bounce off.

Out. It hasn’t happened often, but still enough to get in my head, when a ball that would’ve dropped yet caromed off the stick instead. Doesn’t help that our club uses the thicker, more rigid flagsticks. But when I play an infrequent solo round, I leave it in.
You bring up another good point. Not all pins are created equal and it does matter.

No preference I’ll go with what the group wants!

Get Out Love GIF by T-Series

Out! Too many studies and videos show it only helping if struck dead on when left in. I also think leaving it in disrupts gravity, and balls that would normally drop on either side of it don't! :)

Always in. It's a mental thing for me; Almost seems like the target is bigger.

I really don't care one way or the other unless the flagstick is moving around, bending in a stiff breeze. In that case, obviously I take it out rather than trying to time the correct wiggle!

When I'm playing by myself, I just leave it in. When playing with others, if someone is going to be pulling it anyway I tell them to go ahead before I putt. But if nobody steps up to pull it, just like when playing alone. I don't bother.

In my opinion it is 99.9% a total wash as to which is an advantage IF AND WHEN the flagstick is centered in the cup and not moving or leaning.

If it's just me, in because I'm lazy. Otherwise I'll go with whoever I'm playing with and their preference.

I get annoyed when people take it out. There I said it.....

Out...all the time unless it's a real long putt and I don't have someone to tend the flag.

I will go with whatever the other guys want which is almost always in. I will pull it if its leaning to one side. I have had two putts this year get rejected that im sure would have gone in with no flagstick. They were like 12 footers and not going too fast. Saw a study that said flag in only benefits you if the putt would have gone more than 6 feet past the hole. As an aside I've noticed lately that Matt Fitzpatrick is putting more with the stick out lately. Interesting. He seems to do both now

Really haven’t thought about this since the rule change years ago. I been working on my putting lately and notice shorter putts I prefer pin out. When the putt is 20 feet or longer I don’t see a cup just more or less just an elliptical hole. I find it’s easier to aim for the pin in that situation especially farther away sometime the hole is just a speck on the ground and easier for distance control to aim at the pin. This is me.

I putt better with it out but it's kinda a pain in the rear.

I'm fine with either but I mostly play with the flag stick in. It's mostly due to the fact that with my back and knees, it quite often hurts to bend that far to pick the flag up
off of the ground.

I putt better with it out but it's kinda a pain in the rear.
I have no data to support it, but I think I might as well. I don't ever take it out though when I'm just doing a solo round.

I have no data to support it, but I think I might as well. I don't ever take it out though when I'm just doing a solo round.
How about putting with a phone in the cup? :p

The youngsters I play with prefer to leave it in, but I prefer it out. It's typically 2 of them and 1 of me, so we just leave it. I think I putt better with it out, but typically putt the same with it in. Mind games.

I putt better when people say, "That's good"

Back