Do you underestimate how much the golf ball changes things?

Maybe? I’ve been playing both the CT and CTX side by side doing some testing lately. I would describe the differences as subtle rather than major. Definitely noticeable but also feeling like I could play either

Yes. I believe the golf matters. I have a good idea of what I'm looking for in a ball and what works for me.

I've noticed around the green it certainly does. However, off the tee my experience has been they all pretty much go the same distance, whether it's a budget ball or a premium ball.

Probably, yes…but since I’ll pretty much play anything I find, I’m not really sure I could tell the difference performance-wise anymore across the spectrum. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was hitting balls this afternoon at the PGASS and something didn't seem right with the ball speed and spin. So I looked at the ball .... it was a refurbished ProV1 all beat up. I'm like "uhh do you think I might be able to get a ball that may give me proper info?" So he hands me a new TP5 🤔 and the numbers were more to my liking 👍 so yeah, the ball is important

I haven’t spent time on data measuring on range etc , but through , finding something in
SS range and matching compression. And then taking sleep of balls out and the evidence that provides

Iam down to 2-3 ball types . And occasionally hit other brands and models.

The differences to me are apparent in feel and behaviour , even the first hit with Qi10 showed even more differences also.

So when it something that’s ,
100 % in every single shot
( considering the reverence and love for putters , which only play in
20-30% of shots ) it’s a critical choice .

Do you underestimate how much the golf ball changes things?​

Absolutely not. That is why I change balls to meet conditions. Less spin for soft conditions etc. I know there are "expurts" who say play one ball and know it well. I know my different balls well enough to know which will work best for me under different conditions. The rules allow for you to change balls hole by hole of you so desire. I will play less spin into a good breeze and more spin down wind. (IE a Tour B RX into the wind and a TP5 downwind). Lately my ball for "normal" conditions is a Tour B RXS, or a Srixon Z Star XV when its warmer out.

Last edited:
I'm sure I do. I know I play the right Bridgestone ball for my game, but have only done Bridgestone ball fittings throughout the years and have never done a fitting for several brands.

2 piece balls are great for learning. Cheap and durable.
But, now that I'm learning to spin the ball intentionally, the expensive urethane balls are more appropriate to my game.
Much better chance of staying on the greens now that I can hit them with some regularity!

Being retired means I can practice a more difficult game than I did two years ago. :)

I didn’t at all, my opinion has changed so much about it in the past couple of years though. At first I didn’t think it mattered to me at all now I know it makes such a difference.

So can anyone share the changes they saw with the “right” ball? What did you gain? Is it all about distance? Spin? Numbers on a monitor? Shaved 5 strokes? Straighter shots?

I’ve got a couple dozen other balls to try, but I’m not expecting any magic.

I think the golf ball is extremely important, it’s why I play a ProV1X. Best ball performance for me by far and every single one of them is exactly like every single other one of them which is a very underestimated characteristic of the golf balls we choose from.

So can anyone share the changes they saw with the “right” ball? What did you gain? Is it all about distance? Spin? Numbers on a monitor? Shaved 5 strokes? Straighter shots?

I’ve got a couple dozen other balls to try, but I’m not expecting any magic.
With a ProV1X it’s just spin. It gets up in the air very easy with every club. It’s the stickiest on the green for every shot as well. Little firm feeling but once you get used to that other balls don’t feel as good.

No because I’ve seen how different things play with different balls. I remember when I got fitted to a TSR and we used a titleist range ball and then used a Prov 1. Same when I use an old golf ball versus say a CT. Ball can change any game as long as you have some kind of game together. If you don’t have any kind of game it’s harder to measure the benefits.

With a ProV1X it’s just spin. It gets up in the air very easy with every club. It’s the stickiest on the green for every shot as well. Little firm feeling but once you get used to that other balls don’t feel as good.

Firmer ball spinning more than a softer ball has always kinda blown my mind. ProV1x is one I haven’t tried yet.

I’m sure i do. I’m starting to try different balls on the rapsodo having stenciled them to match. Results (i did this before surgery) were mixed at best. As i resume more normal activity in golf I’ll try more.

I wonder if the “pro” lines really help/hurt slower old guy swings versus different lower tier balls.

I’m sure i do. I’m starting to try different balls on the rapsodo having stenciled them to match. Results (i did this before surgery) were mixed at best. As i resume more normal activity in golf I’ll try more.

I wonder if the “pro” lines really help/hurt slower old guy swings versus different lower tier balls.
Bridgestone Tour B RX and RXS are great balls for a more moderate swing speed.

I think it hurts if your adaptation to getting old to play courses that allow you to roll the ball up inviting greens.
The cheap 2pc balls have a more consistent roll.
I avoided rolling the ball during my first season, as I wanted to get the ball in the air all the time.
A roll was a miss, even if it made its way to the green.
Now I do it both ways. A long roll to reach an inviting green with a 4 iron or a 7 iron that hits and stops.

Back