Do you underestimate how much the golf ball changes things?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This is specifically in terms of fitting.

It’s become my opinion in all the years here that we (meaning us internet golfers) still don’t really grasp how much a golf ball change can alter things….many times drastically if going from extremes.

Whether it’s fittings or just clubs you’ve played for years, do you tend to underestimate how much a golf ball can change things for you.

I'm coming around to the idea thanks to some very smart folks here and actually listening to what those experts have to say.

In my case, I have strong preferences for the feel of the ball so in that case I don't underestimate how much it changes my perception. I'm willing to sacrifice some bit of performance for a softer feel. But I'm also in the camp that is more focused on my experience on each shot as opposed to score. Sure, I want to get better/score lower, but I also spend way more time at the range/pitching/chipping than playing rounds (due to time and cost), so that pushes me more to appreciate process over outcome.

After having tried almost all the balls out there, I’ve found that for me and my slower swing speed, the ball makes very little difference.

In the last few years I have become way more aware of the how the ball can affect my shots that is for sure. I do think the casual golfer probably over looks this quite a bit.

I'm guilty of it. I change golf clubs like I change underwear, but getting myself to change my golf ball is so much harder. I have an idea in my head of the balls that I play best with and I always tend to gravitate towards them.

Need to find myself a good ball fitting some day because I bet it'd change my thinking.

I mean, I know that I've read about it a ton, and understand that it does but I've never been fit for clubs or ball so probably don't really appreciate just how much the ball factors in. I've seen it in shots I hit with different balls on the golf course, but I'd be super curious to see some numbers of my game.

No, I have tried too many to be surprised anymore. To the point that I try to stay in my lane and not try things as much.

I've long held the belief that any ball can work for any golfer, so long as you know what that ball does when you strike it. I believe in ball fitting as I've done it several times over my playing life but the fact is, a player who wasn't fit but knows how their ball reacts to strikes will outperform a fitted player more often than not.

The ball is probably more important than the other 14 pieces, since you use it every time.

@Jman when you are doing equipment tests, do you like to mix up the ball just to see if something works better than the gamer ball?

The ball is probably more important than the other 14 pieces, since you use it every time.

@Jman when you are doing equipment tests, do you like to mix up the ball just to see if something works better than the gamer ball?
If it’s for personal gain, I’ll mix things up here and there. If it’s for an article, it’s going to be the CSX because it’s a GREAT baseline for me of speed, spin, and consistency. I’ll have to change that going forward eventually when my stash runs out haha

I have a better understanding since joining THP but i probably still don't know nearly enough of play the right ball

Let's settle down a little. lol.

I believe I have a much better idea now, especially after reading thoughts from guys like @vgolfman on the subject. I don’t know if I’m knowledgeable enough to know when to make a change that will benefit me, other than looking for similar to what I know has worked for me in the past and trying to find those same characteristics. In future fittings it will be something I include as part of the conversation with my fitter to make sure I’m not fighting myself with opposing ideas.

If it’s for personal gain, I’ll mix things up here and there. If it’s for an article, it’s going to be the CSX because it’s a GREAT baseline for me of speed, spin, and consistency. I’ll have to change that going forward eventually when my stash runs out haha
Makes sense to me. When you feel something in a club is just off with regards to launch or even spin, do you think change the loft or shaft in it if you have that ability with the club or extra shafts? Or do you look for a different ball?

I think that’s gotta be one of the hardest things you @Hawk and @ddec to keep in check as you test things, it feels like you could go down a ton of rabbit holes when you have a new club in the bag and you’re trying to gather feedback on it.

I’m serious though, it’s the only thing used on every shot.
I know, and I mostly agree with you. But you are not helping me justify more club purchases.. lol.

As long as i am using the right "type" or "class" of ball, i don't find the brands make a big difference in terms of fitting or even scoring.

Comparing a maxfli noodle to a Chrome Tour---yes, difference.

Comparing a Chrome Tour to a ProV --very little difference in score in real world, if any

just my opinion

Could the ball be the most forgotten part of a bag fitting and it's becoming more and more important?

I've only done 1 ball fitting, at a large box golf store, but the premise was good, find the one that works to reduce side spin as much as possible without sacrificing backspin and distance.

I believe it.

The last few years trusting the Callaway CSX I found out how other balls perform for me. A couple of times I ventured away and saw things like spin and carry distance negatively impact my game.

I think many dismiss the golf ball or go looking for the best "deal" and are doing themselves a disservice. The best think anyone can do is go through a proper ball fitting and stick with that ball to maximize your game.

So being fit with range balls is not a good idea?

LOL, the first thing I talk to the fitter about is what ball I use and then tell them I am open to change the ball if they think that is something that is causing an issue with fitting. I haven't had to change the ball in a fitting yet but I do bring it up as a data point.

I definitely think it matters more than I used to think it did

Back