Do you underestimate how much the golf ball changes things?

I used to. Not any longer

I'm convinced of two things:

1. The golf ball significantly changes things.
2. I likely STILL underestimate the magnitude of said changes.

It probably does matter more than i think it does.... I've played several balls over the last few years and can feel a difference in softness, see a difference in trajectory and measure a difference in distance.... i've sort of picked the one that seems to give me the best overall performance. I'll venture out and try a different ball on occasion, for comparison but in all honestly, should probably go for a ball fitting... My problem, i can barely find time to play golf, never mind go for a ball fitting...

I wanna say I don't, but I definitely underestimate it or discount it during fittings. It's hard not to when most of my spin numbers are italicized as calculated instead of read. I'll guess where I'll be but at the end of the day it's just a guess. I'll bring in my gamers to test clubs but if I can't get a reading and the location uses RCT balls I'll swap over and allow for lower landing angle and spin numbers. I'm sure I get tunnel vision looking only at certain numbers and forgetting others so maybe that plays into underestimating the impact. In real life I've seen enough to not underestimate the ball on the course during handicap season.

Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF

I DON'T KNOW.......DO I ?

I used to, but not anymore. I understand that if I want to be more consistent, I need to stick to one ball that works. I think I have a ball that is pretty well optimized for me, and now I know how it spins or rolls out on greenside shots. I know the distance the ball should go, if I hit it well. I know that lower spin off the tee helps me with distance and direction. I used to play whatever ball I had in the bag, but now I'm sticking to one and I really feel like it affects my game is a positive way.

I think the ball matters a lot to squeeze the last bit of optimization in a fitting, it could be fine tuning the launch or spin. Like switching to something lower spin like CT or AVX to get the numbers where you want it to be.

I can see the difference on a monitor for things like spin, launch, carry, and it is eye opening....

And that is just me knowing nothing messing around on a sim or GC3

It's something I pay close attention to. Having the right ball is VERY VERY important to me.

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’d say it’s very important, but couldn’t tell you what the right one is. I know that I can tell a big difference between Pro V1’s and Tour Speeds chipping and putting. The only thing I can tell with the long game is one hurts worse to lose than the other.

I think the ball matters more than most other pieces of equipment. I've been fit and played that ball for a couple years and saw my scores drop. Two years ago I decided to save some money..... even though I didn't "feel" a difference in balls my score sure changed. My median score increased by about 6 strokes a round. I switched back to what I knew worked and surprise, surprise my scores starting coming back down.

nah, thanks to my years on THP I fully grasp it. It's why I only play a few different balls, and I like to think I know the differences that tend to happen if there are many.

People in golf are way more married to their golf ball than they are to the clubs they hit. I'll see some people ditch a club after a bad round, or even refuse to play it after a couple of shots...but the ball won't change.

A while back I learned from a buddy, who is a significantly better golfer than I (which probably isn't a massive leap), to every now and again pick up a sleeve of a different ball and play a round with them. Or play until you lose all 3. Basically to challenge yourself every now and again on the ball. Now typically I'll do this if I'm playing a 4 man scramble, but I find this to be very important. It keeps me honest. Also my life is data outside the golf course, so I'm constantly looking at data and this makes me happy. The old "trust but verify". Like for me, going from the Srixon XV/Mizuno RB Tour X to the Wilson was a bit of performance, a bit of durability, and 99% the sound off the club.

Besides, the one thing I've learned the most about golf balls is that nothing matters MORE than feel. If it feels weird or makes a sound you don't like off the club face, you'll never like the ball. So then it's back to ballnamic to find balls that are similar in profile but with a different sound.

Ending my soapbox here!

Nah, I don't think it matters for me.

Drag increases by the square of velocity, so a ball flying off the driver at 180 MPH would feel 2.2x more drag force than a ball at 120 MPH. So at high speed, the aerodynamic changes of different spin rates, dimple depth, etc, become much more pronounced. For short knockers, the effects are more muted.

My driver ball speed is under 120 MPH... like a 200 yard drive is crushing it. And I just don't see a difference between balls unless the difference is extreme. I can tell the difference between a Supersoft and a mega high-spin ball like a Pro V1x or a Kirkland. But I just can't see any difference between say a Supersoft and a Chrome Soft, or a Supersoft and a QST.

No idea about fittings but I definitely have a tendency to over-estimate differences between various balls when I'm playing golf. The specific ball does make a difference but not nearly as much as it seems at times.

As long as i am using the right "type" or "class" of ball, i don't find the brands make a big difference in terms of fitting or even scoring.

Comparing a maxfli noodle to a Chrome Tour---yes, difference.

Comparing a Chrome Tour to a ProV --very little difference in score in real world, if any

just my opinion
Pretty much my assessment after years of playing.
I like a urethane covered 3 piece ball best for me.
I'm sure there are others longer, but I'm used to the feel and reaction around the green.
There are some balls out now that with material tech feel and behave similarly, though not urethane covered.
And a couple of 4 piece ones that still feel soft enough.
Right now, in my bag, I have Chrome Tour, Chrome Soft, Maxfli Tour S, and TP5. Also Mizuno RB Tour.
A dozen ProV1, Wilson Triad, and ERC Soft in the closet.

This is specifically in terms of fitting.

It’s become my opinion in all the years here that we (meaning us internet golfers) still don’t really grasp how much a golf ball change can alter things….many times drastically if going from extremes.

Whether it’s fittings or just clubs you’ve played for years, do you tend to underestimate how much a golf ball can change things for you.
Amen brother!

Yes, I agree the ball can make a huge difference.

This is specifically in terms of fitting.

It’s become my opinion in all the years here that we (meaning us internet golfers) still don’t really grasp how much a golf ball change can alter things….many times drastically if going from extremes.

Whether it’s fittings or just clubs you’ve played for years, do you tend to underestimate how much a golf ball can change things for you.
I don't think I do. By that I mean I always try the latest, greatest ball that comes on the market, but I never deviate from the e6 Bridgestone. They all play about the same for me.

Now whether me being a sweeper of the ball, (no divots) or my lower swing speed, I just assume I don't have what it takes, to take the full advantage of the more expensive premium balls.

For the record I practice with newer $1.40 balls, and play with $2.10 balls.

For me, for the same results, the difference in price between the e6, and a Pro V1 equals a 9 hole green fee.

Ba
I don't think I do. By that I mean I always try the latest, greatest ball that comes on the market, but I never deviate from the e6 Bridgestone. They all play about the same for me.

Now whether me being a sweeper of the ball, (no divots) or my lower swing speed, I just assume I don't have what it takes, to take the full advantage of the more expensive premium balls.

For the record I practice with newer $1.40 balls, and play with $2.10 balls.

For me, for the same results, the difference in price between the e6, and a Pro V1 equals a 9 hole green fee.
Basing things purely off visual on the course feedback, or do you ever get on a monitor to see data?

Ba

Basing things purely off visual on the course feedback, or do you ever get on a monitor to see data?
Ba

Strictly hitting off real grass when practicing, or playing.

The only time I ever use a monitor is at Golf Galaxy when comparing new clubs to my gamers.

I will say that I think Ping's Ballnamic is a great tool for starting to narrow down what type of ball you should be in.

If you have a few basic launch monitor numbers like swing speed and launch angle the ballnamic formula will spit out a few balls for you to try. It's been spot on for me both of the past 2 seasons and it's #1 ball for me is the one I've landed on after my own testing.

Check it out you can often find discount codes if your interested.

Nope, and it’s the reason why I will only play one of two balls.

Strictly hitting off real grass when practicing, or playing.

The only time I ever use a monitor is at Golf Galaxy when comparing new clubs to my gamers.
Would be interested for you to see those numbers, might tell a bigger story.

Buuuuuut, when you find something that works, I’m the biggest proponent ever of just running with it!

I know, and I mostly agree with you. But you are not helping me justify more club purchases.. lol.
It sure is a lot cheaper to pay $55 for a box of balls than $650 for a driver. I won’t even get into irons.

Back