Dad’s not doing good

I really can't add much, your in our thoughts at this time. Simply put, comfort your father as you can, and spend this time remembering and talking all the good in your and your family's lives due in part or in whole to your father.

On a side note, there are a few attorneys on the site, here's hoping they can offer you some advice which may help you through the next steps in all this.

My brother passed away without a will, all his possessions were liquidated, debts paid, and whatever was left distributed to my sisters and I, if your mother is still alive, then I believe she would be the beneficiary. But that would be a completely different scenario.

Sympathies to you and your family.

I dont have much to offer, but please know my thoughts are with you and your family and i am here if i can be an ear or anything. Sorry to hear you are going through this.

As others have said, be there. Do whatever you have to to spend as much time as you can with him. I'm sending all good thoughts and vibes your way.

On the estate side of it, if he isn't competent to know what he is signing and to acknowledge that verbally, there's not much you can do there. It'll take it's course. I'm assuming your Dad is in Texas with you. Reach out to a Texas attorney who does estate work. He or she will be able to answer questions and give you some insight on the process. I'm an attorney in Mississippi and am happy to answer any general questions you might have with the caveat that Texas intestate succession law has some differences.

I'm so sorry to read this and wish your family all the best.

Some things to consider:

Legal and Financial Matters:
  • Will and Estate Planning: Even though your father hasn't prepared a will yet, it's not too late if he is still mentally capable of making decisions. It's advisable to consult with an estate attorney who can guide you through the process of creating a will and other important documents like a living will or healthcare power of attorney.
  • Power of Attorney: If your father is willing and able, setting up a Power of Attorney can allow someone he trusts to make decisions on his behalf, especially if he becomes unable to do so.
  • Financial Accounts and Insurance: Gather information about his financial accounts, insurance policies, and any other relevant financial information. This will be important for managing his affairs now and in the future.
Healthcare Decisions:
  • Advance Directive: If your father hasn't already done so, consider discussing an advance directive. This document can outline his wishes for medical treatment and end-of-life care.
  • Palliative Care Consultation: Talk to his healthcare providers about palliative care options, which focus on providing relief from the symptoms and stress of a serious illness.
Emotional Support:
  • Family and Friends: Keep close family and friends informed and involved. This network can provide emotional support for both you and your father.
  • Professional Support: Consider seeking support from counselors or support groups for both your father and your family. They can offer guidance and coping strategies during this time.
Making Memories and Spending Time:
  • Quality Time: Spend as much quality time with your father as possible. Share stories, look at old photos, listen to his favorite music, or watch his favorite movies together.
  • Recording Memories: Consider recording or writing down his stories and memories. This can be a comforting way to preserve his legacy.
Practical Considerations for Care:
  • Home Care vs. Hospice: Evaluate the need for in-home care or hospice care, depending on his condition and doctor’s recommendations.
  • Daily Living Assistance: If he needs help with daily activities, look into home health aides or other support services.
After-Life Arrangements:
  • Discuss His Wishes: If possible, have a conversation about his wishes for after he passes, including any funeral or memorial service preferences.
  • Pre-Planning: You may also want to start looking into funeral homes and the process of arranging a funeral or memorial service.
Taking Care of Yourself:
  • Self-Care: Remember to take care of your own physical and emotional health. It’s easy to get caught up in caregiving and forget to attend to your own needs.
  • Support Network: Lean on friends, family, or professionals for support. You don't have to go through this alone.
Legal Matters After Passing:
  • Probate and Estate Administration: After your father’s passing, his estate will likely go through a process called probate, where his assets are distributed according to his will or, if there is no will, according to state laws.

Be there, all of you all the time. 🙏

Sorry to hear this. But sometimes having knowledge of ones ultimate fate presents an opportunity for you for closure regarding any situations. I have lost both my parents. One was long and drawn out which was so painful to go through. The other was sudden and somewhat unexpected.
Get a will done pronto. Talk with your Dad and let him know about your love. Blessings.

I don't have any advice but just here to say I'm sorry to hear this and wish you and your family the best.

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate news, no advice from me just know that I will pray for him, you and your family🙏🏻

Sorry to hear this. I hope things can improve for your dad.

Just so sorry to hear this

As others have stated, get on the phone with an estate attorney asap. I hate that you have to go through this Jazi :(

First off sorry for what you are going through. I pray that he makes a positive turn and give you some more time.

Having faced a little bit of a "suprise" with my mom earlier this year, I would say stay as positive as you can. If you are feeling down or negative, find an outlet to let that out, so when you see your dad, all he sees is positivity and love. It will go a long way for you and them to help relieve some stress of the whole situation. Just remember no matter how down or negative you feel, they are probably double that bc they are actually going through it all.

I'm so sorry. I also lost my Dad very suddenly a long time ago.

Please make sure you tell him you love him, I didn't and it is a big regret.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I think others have said what needs to be said, but I will second it.... I just went through this almost exactly 1 year ago. Based on my father's wishes to not pass in a hospital, we had moved him home on a hospice care situation. We stayed with him as much as possible before his passing. Even when he was lying in the bed, we assumed he wasn't aware of some things, but just having family there, talking, laughing, and crying encouraged some reactions that we didn't think we'd get. So....just be there. Be with him, hold his hand, talk to him whenever you can. I really believe it game him and us some peace. I wish you the best, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Very sorry for what you are going through @jazi95. I can only hope you and your family are able to work through this as smoothly as possible.

I don't have any words of advice, but I offer thoughts and prayers to you and your loved ones, @jazi95. So sorry for what you're all going through.

Unfortunately, I have no advice I can give. I do feel for you and your family, It is tough enough when the end is expected, doubly tough when it comes shockingly almost without warning. So sorry for your pending loss!

So sorry to hear of this. Wishing you and family peace during this difficult time.

THP family, dad is resting in heaven now. He fought hard, but he’s in a much better place.

THP family, dad is resting in heaven now. He fought hard, but he’s in a much better place.
Sincerest sympathies to you and your family.

Sorry to hear this. If you need anything please reach out.

Condolences. Sorry for your loss.

Back