Cleveland Mashie Review

I believe it is for choices. Most golfers will not purchase all 4-5 hybrids that come out. They want to fill gaps.

And yes I believe golfers can elevate a 15.5 degree hybrid. Even moreso than can elevate a 15 degree FW.

If for example, a golfer can hit his 15* 3W 240 yards but not always consistently. I would assume that he could hit the Mashie 15.5* more consistently just because of the shorter shaft. How much distance might he lose ?

If for example, a golfer can hit his 15* 3W 240 yards but not always consistently. I would assume that he could hit the Mashie 15.5* more consistently just because of the shorter shaft. How much distance might he lose ?

I don't know for sure, but personally I'm counting on losing maybe 10 yards of distance or so from my 3 Wood, but I think the consistency and accuracy gains will outweigh the distance loss easily.

I'm curious to see the shafts lenghts for these.

i think it all depends on the shafts and the launch angles. i dare say that the distances may surprise some.

I'm curious to see the shafts lenghts for these.

I'm not sure but they don't appear to be longer which I think helps me hit them better.

Sent from Jerry Jones' office

I don't know for sure, but personally I'm counting on losing maybe 10 yards of distance or so from my 3 Wood, but I think the consistency and accuracy gains will outweigh the distance loss easily.

Well said Golf4life. It makes me wonder, what would happen if Cleveland ever decided to make an abundance of different Mashie lofts. For example 13.5*, 25.5*, 28* etc. to go along with the current lofts, we might have our fairway woods keeping company with the long irons that were already sitting in the garage.I'm projecting out into the future, and hoping that this might be the case. Just like how the Niblicks started with the 37* and 42* and then expanded to include the 49*and 56*. Well at least it's nice to think of the possibilities for options to enjoy the game more.

How do you hit a Mashie ?

How do you hit a Mashie ?

I plan on purchasing a Mashie when they come out next year, but I get along with fairway woods better than hybrids. For those of us fortunate to have already hit the Mashie pre-release, how does the set-up differ than from your fairway set-up at address ?

Its completely different in my opinion. Just look at th epics of the mashie and you will see the difference.

I just play it like a long iron. I also try and keep the same tempo on every shot now. Figured that out the last couple times out.

This club just feels so natural.

I plan on purchasing a Mashie when they come out next year, but I get along with fairway woods better than hybrids. For those of us fortunate to have already hit the Mashie pre-release, how does the set-up differ than from your fairway set-up at address ?

Merged with the Mashie thread.

I setup to it no different than any other hybrid.

I set up for a hybrid just like I would a comparable iron and swing the same way. Same with the Mashie.

After looking over these again, I think I am going to make an interesting change to my bag.

I currently play a 3h (20*) and 4h (24*) but don't have anything between 20 and my 15* 3w. I think I'll add the 18.5 Mashie and drop the 3h, giving me a larger gap between my 4h (with is 1* weak vs my irons anyways) but giving me a better club for that 210-20 yard distance that I don't have right now. If I muscle my 20* I can get it 210 but not much more than that.

The other thing that could happen would be to drop my 4h in favor of my 4i again and see if I can game that.
Basically, I can't wait until these come out so I can start filling my gaps!

I have to say.. Im really considering going with a 15.5 (replace my 3w) and a 23.5 (replaces my 4h). I loooooooooove my 3w but the prospects of using a hybrid instead is intruiging. Seems like they are easier to hit for me.

I replaced my 3w with my TM Rescue Dual 16* a while ago, and I have never missed not having a FW. I didn't lose any distance to speak of and I gained a ton of precision. I am really excited to try out the mashie because my set needs one more hybrid to cover a gap. I am also thinking about getting a 4h mashie to go with my current 2h. Can't wait!

Can't wait to get another shot with this hybrid. I wish I had video of OEM hitting his first shot with it. I would just make a loop of his O face and post it here so everybody could understand how awesome it was.

Can't wait to get another shot with this hybrid. I wish I had video of OEM hitting his first shot with it. I would just make a loop of his O face and post it here so everybody could understand how awesome it was.

Im glad it was good for you too. After having played two and half round with the 20.5 in the bag this weekend, no its still not in the bag, Im really looking forward to this club. It was definitely a confidence club the whole weekend.

Still trying to decide which loft is going to go in my bag. Leaning towards the 20.5, but also contemplating the 15.5.

as am I. 20.5 is in the lead for me based on how well I hit it. are you still thinking of hitting 2 hybrids? would you get rid of the Niblick then?
Still trying to decide which loft is going to go in my bag. Leaning towards the 20.5, but also contemplating the 15.5.

as am I. 20.5 is in the lead for me based on how well I hit it. are you still thinking of hitting 2 hybrids? would you get rid of the Niblick then?

Most likely. Or I would ditch the 3 wood for the 15.5

Yesterday I had the same 200+ yard shot as last weekend when I hit the Mashie and I could have used it again. I tried to pull off a 3i shot that ended up short and in the drink. I look forward to adding the Mashie to the bag.

Sent from Jerry Jones' office

I don't think for me the headcover is how I choose a club.Sounds like from a lot of the comments though how I judge a club is making this one worth a try.

I got home today to find a 23° degree Mashie at my door for me to review. Took some pics, but I have share some thoughts first.

This is going to be a very interesting process for me. Before the outing in Florida, if you had asked me what club would not be leaving my bag, I would have said my 4 hybrid. It may not be the longest hybrid (not really sure), but it is my go to club for so many shots. It is a great club, and I wasn't considering replacing it. That is until the outing. The Mashie could be the one to take that spot in my bag, but it is going to have to fill some pretty big shoes.

I'll save the details for my review, but please feel free to ask any questions you have. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow for a range session to get some early feedback.

And now, some pics :) You've seen it before, but we all love to ogle, right?

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

Awesome stuff man, look forward to your thoughts on hitting this club again. Hurry up before it snows out there!

That is a GREAT photo. Good luck with it.

Thanks. That was my favorite one as well.

Awesome stuff man, look forward to your thoughts on hitting this club again. Hurry up before it snows out there!

I'm 100% that I can get at least one full round and a few range sessions. I might buy Erica something pretty for an extra round next weekend.

Back