Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Well, have to give a big thanks to everyone on this thread (though my wife may disagree when she sees the credit card bill). Recently joined THP and bought an M3 solely on the feedback from this thread. Then added the M2 and M4 after the recent Cleveland Demo Day here.

Only played one round with them plus a couple range sessions, but they are everything I expected. Very easy to hit,etc., etc., as we've heard - one major benefit I want to iterate to those still on the fence: this club helps me focus on a smoother swing more than any other I've ever hit. I tend to get too much tension in my hands (I know, the only one with that issue, right?) with a really quick release and its amazing how much better the results are when you just chill a bit with a smooth swing.

I do think having M2/M3/M4 is overkill for me so I am trying to decide on M2/M4 (plus maybe the 17* 3 wood) or M1/M3. Appreciate any comments from those going through the same process. May come down to which irons I pick up for this season and how well I hit the 4/5 iron in that set (if I hit them well, then not as much need for the M4 and I'll likely go M1/M3).

Thanks again to all and look forward to being an active participant on THP.

Welcome to THP and congrats on joining the Mashie fraternity.

I myself am in the M1/M3 camp, soon to be the M1/M3/M5 camp as I feel this combo provides great coverage at the top of my bag, and eliminates the need for a 3 wood. When I go M5, it will remove both the 3 and 4 irons from my bag and I'll actually have room for another club if I want (maybe a strong 3Wood for off the tee or a niblick).

you know you want a Niblick of your own to assault.....

I myself am in the M1/M3 camp, soon to be the M1/M3/M5 camp as I feel this combo provides great coverage at the top of my bag, and eliminates the need for a 3 wood. When I go M5, it will remove both the 3 and 4 irons from my bag and I'll actually have room for another club if I want (maybe a strong 3Wood for off the tee or a niblick).

Dude, I almost spit coffee on my screen right there. I literally was just about to search for a Niblick thread to get feedback on that because I'll need a GW since I am in a toss up between the 2.0s and CG16s - I'll head over there as don't want to get a strike on my 3rd THP post ...

Thanks for the M1/M3/M5 suggestion, golf4life - I like it. With the M5, may only need to get 6-PW for the irons with those strong lofted sets (plus the Niblick, of course :D)

Dude, I almost spit coffee on my screen right there. I literally was just about to search for a Niblick thread to get feedback on that because I'll need a GW since I am in a toss up between the 2.0s and CG16s - I'll head over there as don't want to get a strike on my 3rd THP post ...

Thanks for the M1/M3/M5 suggestion, golf4life - I like it. With the M5, may only need to get 6-PW for the irons with those strong lofted sets (plus the Niblick, of course :D)

I have the M1, M2 and M3 right now. Im thinking about dropping the M2 as the M3 seems more then capable of holding its own without the M2 around.

A question for all my Mashie brethren and sistren: which Mashie do you feel is the best overall? I've read every post in this thread and the one Mashie that seems to shine is the M3. Of course, it's my favorite, lol. It's freaking long!!! I can't believe how long it is for a 20.5* hybrid.

For just pure ease of use and consistent results my vote is the M3.

since it's the only one i have I vote M4!

You're welcome. I definitely think you can get away with 6-PW with those iron sets and the M5.

A question for all my Mashie brethren and sistren: which Mashie do you feel is the best overall? I've read every post in this thread and the one Mashie that seems to shine is the M3. Of course, it's my favorite, lol. It's freaking long!!! I can't believe how long it is for a 20.5* hybrid.
I think the M3 is possibly the best mashie overall... good distance, a little easier to hit than the M1, perfect club for short par 4s and really long par 3s. But its a tough call, I love the length of my M1 Abrams and its ability to make all par 5s into "reach the green in 2" possible.

I vote M3 - I think it best fills that "must have" gap. Most people struggle with the really long irons (I am exceptionally bad with a 3/4 iron unless a huge snap hook is required) and I think the M1/M2 are most usable as a driver back up or on the short par 4s.

P.S. when are the M6 and M7 coming out? A whole Mashie bag would be solid!

Jman, what kind of gap are you seeing between the FL17 and the Mashie 18? I know there is only one degree but the FL 17 is 2 inches longer as I recall. Used to carry the 17 launcher from 2002 (maybe best FW of its era IMO) so I am very interested in keeping the 4 wood in my bag or at least as an option when the driver is grumpy.

That's the config I'm working with right now....the M4 more than covers the 5i for me

I vote for the M3 but the M4 isn't far behind!

You're welcome. I definitely think you can get away with 6-PW with those iron sets and the M5.

I think the M3 is possibly the best mashie overall... good distance, a little easier to hit than the M1, perfect club for short par 4s and really long par 3s. But its a tough call, I love the length of my M1 Abrams and its ability to make all par 5s into "reach the green in 2" possible.

I have the M2/M4 combination...the M4 is my favorite club. I can depend on it when I am not swinging well or have a blow up hole. My M2 on the other hand, I have not been as consistence with it. I am considering maybe trying the M3. I had one range sessions where I was able to hit it well but it is still work in progress.

I don't know, I find the M4 slots in just perfectly right ahead of my Burner 6i. May have something to do with the extra inch I put on the irons and not the hybrids, though. Be careful with the overlaps!

I say that because one of the reason I sold off my previous hybrids is that my 5h was pretty much the same as my 6i so I never hit the hybrid and the M3 and M4 replaced the other two. With the Mashies I now go M3, M4 (23*), and straight to 27* Burner 6i. That gives me a roughly 200, 185, low 170s spread, maybe 205, 185-190, 175 if I'm dialed in.

I like this thinking and I am fairly certain this is the way I am headed as well. Right now the two things stopping me are my difficulty hitting the M1 when I have tested it, which is strange cause I can hit my Nickent which is the same shaft length and stronger lofted; the other thing holding me back for a Mashie only top of the bag is my love of my other nickent hybrid (23*). I also just got the M5 and have not had it out on the course yet ( will very shortly) and I think once I see what it can do it might lessen the pain in passing my old friend to pasture. Or I might stil keep them both in the bag. Time will tell

My favorite one presently is the M3 although I have a hunch this M5 is going to make a strong case for itself.

I vote M3 - I think it best fills that "must have" gap. Most people struggle with the really long irons (I am exceptionally bad with a 3/4 iron unless a huge snap hook is required) and I think the M1/M2 are most usable as a driver back up or on the short par 4s.

P.S. when are the M6 and M7 coming out? A whole Mashie bag would be solid!

When they come out I am sure a few of us will have them in our bags. lol

Well I am doing much better with my M5 than my M3. I keep trying to hit my M3 like a darn fairway wood. Sometimes I flush it and hit the best shots ever but I often hit it terribly. I am almost regretting replacing my 7 wood with the M3 but I'm going to give it more time. My confidence is actually low with the M3 right now but super high with the M5. Weird huh. I know the M3 is an inch longer and I really think it's just that I'm trying to sweep instead of hitting down. I'm probably trying to hit it too hard too. I'm gonna conquer it though! Mark my word. :)

I like the M3 20.5 Mashie as it does carry a long way for the loft. It's a strong club and could be a great addition for those who have problems with the longer fairway clubs.

I like the M3 20.5 Mashie as it does carry a long way for the loft. It's a strong club and could be a great addition for those who have problems with the longer fairway clubs.

It does seem to carry a lot further for the loft it is.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I would have to concur with the M3 version. The confidence and abilities with it are just awesome. That is my first Mashie and the one I feel in love with.

Tapatalk makes meetings so much fun.

I will have to go with M2 as that is the only one I have right now. Off the tee it is a fairway finding beast and I have learned to hit it very well off the deck. I love it more and more after every round.

M4 is my favorite. I just love a 4 hybrid anyway, but it's very versatile for me.

My favorite is the M1. It really is the only one I spent time with though. I needed a new 3 wood and this filled the spot. I had a bad range session yesterday with everything in my bag except for the mashie. I was physically sore do to my new work outs and extended work hours. The mashie loved my slower swing. I am glad I hit it last. It made an otherwise bad day end on a good note.? :banana:

I have an M3 and M4 right now and with how I hit them I'm toying with the idea of seeing how the M1 compares to my 4 wood, although I like my 4 wood alot. Having said that, if I can get a little more consistency and distance out of an M1 I'd add it as it would be nice to use on tight or shortish par 4s with sand/water. Plus, the 4-wood, while more forgiving than a 3-wood sometimes is just not enough to get home on some par 5s. Heck, I'm even contemplating the thought of the M5 vs. my 5-iron, but not sure. The biggest concern I have is filling in all the gaps and all the other thoughts that fill up my pea brain like accuracy, distance control, etc. when comparing the M5 with my 5-iron and having my lowest iron then being a 6-iron (that and the ribbing I'd get from all my buddies for officially becoming a duffer - I'd get over that as long as I was beating them). I figure all the courses around here are starting to open so I can get some rounds in to see how the distances are with live ammo. Plenty of time to tweak things.

I have an M3 and M4 right now and with how I hit them I'm toying with the idea of seeing how the M1 compares to my 4 wood, although I like my 4 wood alot. Having said that, if I can get a little more consistency and distance out of an M1 I'd add it as it would be nice to use on tight or shortish par 4s with sand/water. Plus, the 4-wood, while more forgiving than a 3-wood sometimes is just not enough to get home on some par 5s. Heck, I'm even contemplating the thought of the M5 vs. my 5-iron, but not sure. The biggest concern I have is filling in all the gaps and all the other thoughts that fill up my pea brain like accuracy, distance control, etc. when comparing the M5 with my 5-iron and having my lowest iron then being a 6-iron (that and the ribbing I'd get from all my buddies for officially becoming a duffer - I'd get over that as long as I was beating them). I figure all the courses around here are starting to open so I can get some rounds in to see how the distances are with live ammo. Plenty of time to tweak things.

I hit the M1 off the tee during my last round and it was like a fairway finder. I got quick on my first swing with it off the first tee but after that it was just plain awesome. For me and my slower SS its not quite a 3W replacement but its very close. I bet it easily beats out your 4W though.

I love the M3 it might be the best club in my bag right now. The M2 and I are in discusions about why he doesn't want to cooperate. If he doesn't smarten up soon he will have to be punished and sent to ash-vegas.

Back