Cleveland CBX4 Wedges Review

Woke up still thinking about my experience with the CBX4. These will get a long look at the next bag refresh

Got to play with the 54 and 58 today. I could easily game these. I was getting really consistent carry numbers on a bunch of partial shots.

They also did a great job with the soles. Even though I think the specs say the bounce is higher compared to the last version, it did not present large and chunky. I think the shaping on these is a big reason why. The light highlights the sole shaping on the 54. And while I didn’t snap a pic, the 58 didn’t cause a really large concern with opening it up a bit. Not going to slid under anything, but well done for what the wedge is.View attachment 9237407
I do think that leading edge helps quite a bit. Good pic there @Scooby45

I do think that leading edge helps quite a bit. Good pic there @Scooby45
The leading edge is definitely part of it.
I also think that the bounce number, when looking at it solely as a stand alone, is fairly outdated. The companies have done such a good job with grinds that sole measurements from a static point don't even tell part of the story anymore.

The leading edge is definitely part of it.
I also think that the bounce number, when looking at it solely as a stand alone, is fairly outdated. The companies have done such a good job with grinds that sole measurements from a static point don't even tell part of the story anymore.
Yea, that's a good point. When you factor in something like a C grind on that 58, it's like having three different sections of sole.

Yea, that's a good point. When you factor in something like a C grind on that 58, it's like having three different sections of sole.
Correct. And to compound matters, there is no standard of measurement in bounce (generalization).

I'm surprised they even put the bounce number on a wedge like this. There's obviously a lot more going on with the grind.

Since we didn't have specs, I'm curious if my experience with it would have been different if I had been blinded to the static bounce number. I hope it would be the same, but I can't lie that one of my first thoughts was "wow that's a lot of bounce for this type of club". and i'm way more aware that there's more to a sole/grind than the average consumer out there.

Correct. And to compound matters, there is no standard of measurement in bounce (generalization).
so then why do they keep reporting? simply market expectations?

I feel like I'm above average in understanding how grinds can change effective bounce but I hesitated slightly when I saw the numbers larger than the last release that played bigger than my preference, whereas this doesn't seem to play at all that big

so then why do they keep reporting? simply market expectations?

I feel like I'm above average in understanding how grinds can change effective bounce but I hesitated slightly when I saw the numbers larger than the last release that played bigger than my preference, whereas this doesn't seem to play at all that big
I think so. And to be fair, it still has a place, but we have seen extremely wide soled wedges with low bounce numbers and thinner soles with high bounce.
It is always a bit cringey when you hear a wedge is a wedge, because there is so much going on now to help different golfers.

The full face Smart Sole chipper feels really good and easy to launch high. If I didn't have the Launcher Halo Xl's to chip with, I'd easily game these.

I had trouble finding these online and finally found it. Tried these again in Golf Galaxy today and this chipper club could help a lot of people for shots further from the green with some wrist hinge where previous gens were good for near the green and bump and runs- putting style.

Did Galaxy have the new model Smart Sole C Full Face?
Mine did, it was a little weird to me as I like the end of the grooves to help alignments

Ok this was well done 😂 for those that haven’t seen these weird videos here’s one of them

Love the Nippons…..was very close to going that route myself- but decided to try the KBS Rev.

Love the Nippons…..was very close to going that route myself- but decided to try the KBS Rev.
I have had good luck with the Nippons in every weight other than the 120’s which are totally different profile than the rest. KBS have not worked for me in the past.

I have had good luck with the Nippons in every weight other than the 120’s which are totally different profile than the rest. KBS have not worked for me in the past.

I may regret it, but rolled the dice. I would've gotten the 115 gram DG Spinner if it was an option. I love that shaft in my Zipcores.

I've played Nippon 105s in my last 2 iron sets. I got a Nippon shafted CBX2 but kept the stock shaft in the Zipcore. I actually liked the DGs better than the Nippon wedge shaft.

Part of me wants to go get fit for iron shafts again. I used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer at the PGA Tour SS last year and the DG105 was a near perfect (4.9) profile for my swing. The Nippon 105 came in 4th.

I may regret it, but rolled the dice. I would've gotten the 115 gram DG Spinner if it was an option. I love that shaft in my Zipcores.

I've played Nippon 105s in my last 2 iron sets. I got a Nippon shafted CBX2 but kept the stock shaft in the Zipcore. I actually liked the DGs better than the Nippon wedge shaft.

Part of me wants to go get fit for iron shafts again. I used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer at the PGA Tour SS last year and the DG105 was a near perfect (4.9) profile for my swing. The Nippon 105 came in 4th.
The DG105’s felt brittle to me. I preferred the Nippon 105’s. I switched to graphite due to my elbows in everything but my wedges. I used Steelfiber 115’s in my irons and CBX Zipcore’s last season and may end up reshaftng the CBX4’s with them eventually if things flare up.

The DG105’s felt brittle to me. I preferred the Nippon 105’s. I switched to graphite due to my elbows in everything but my wedges. I used Steelfiber 115’s in my irons and CBX Zipcore’s last season and may end up reshaftng the CBX4’s with them eventually if things flare up.

I know what you mean. I had a very quick dalliance with a set of Mizuno 923s last year. I got the DG105 in them. That is how I'd describe how it felt at impact. It was the strangest thing. I loved them in the fitting bay. I never hit them well at the range or the course. The initial range session was bad. I chalked it up to being excited. I went back the next day and still struggled.

I played them for 3 weeks and absolutely hated them. My playing partners got tired of me saying 'I hate these irons'. Not sure if the was the head or the shaft, but never felt like I was hitting solid shots with them.

Fortunately I got them on a playability deal. I ordered some Srixon with Nippon 105s and literally from the very first shot they were magic. But my dumb butt still wonders about that MSO result, lol!

I know what you mean. I had a very quick dalliance with a set of Mizuno 923s last year. I got the DG105 in them. That is how I'd describe how it felt at impact. It was the strangest thing. I loved them in the fitting bay. I never hit them well at the range or the course. The initial range session was bad. I chalked it up to being excited. I went back the next day and still struggled.

I played them for 3 weeks and absolutely hated them. My playing partners got tired of me saying 'I hate these irons'. Not sure if the was the head or the shaft, but never felt like I was hitting solid shots with them.

Fortunately I got them on a playability deal. I ordered some Srixon with Nippon 105s and literally from the very first shot they were magic. But my dumb butt still wonders about that MSO result, lol!
Crazy game. I ended up in PXG Gen6 0311P with Steelfiber FC115. They are like a better feeling Ping iron. I played Ping irons for years before I moved over to PXG and having the ability to swingweight by swapping out the weight has been awesome as I tend to try a lot of shafts.

Hand a short fling with the Fujikura Axiom’s 105’s. They feel awesome but everything was short and right. Seemed to be softer in the middle than what I anticipated and felt a lot like UST Recoil 95/110. A thump at impact and the ball feels like it stays on the face while the middle seems to kick. Very different feel for me and my swing did not match up well with them.

Crazy game. I ended up in PXG Gen6 0311P with Steelfiber FC115. They are like a better feeling Ping iron. I played Ping irons for years before I moved over to PXG and having the ability to swingweight by swapping out the weight has been awesome as I tend to try a lot of shafts.

Hand a short fling with the Fujikura Axiom’s 105’s. They feel awesome but everything was short and right. Seemed to be softer in the middle than what I anticipated and felt a lot like UST Recoil 95/110. A thump at impact and the ball feels like it stays on the face while the middle seems to kick. Very different feel for me and my swing did not match up well with them.

It's amazing how much shafts make a difference when you try different ones.

I should have known about keeping my Srixons from my PXG experience. I went through a driver fitting there at the end of 2022. I really liked the fitter and went back for an iron fitting. As I warmed up with my ZX5s, he said 'I have my work cut out for me'.

We hit a lot of combos and he finally said. I could try to sell you something but those Srixons are a good fit. Any distance I give you is just going to be due to loft.

I appreciated his approach. So much so that I ended up doing a quick fitting there for a putter I'd fallen in love with in the waiting room. I moved on to a different driver, but still have the PXG putter.

Yet my dumb butt is still trying to tweak with my irons, sigh.

I'd placed an order, but had to go check them out at the store today today. They are SO sexy. I love how they hide the gel back in such a clean package.

IMG_5799.jpegIMG_5800.jpegIMG_5801.jpegThis The GW though…..

What was the rationale for naming the Fullface CBX Full-Face 2 vs. CBX4 Fullface?

Back