Cleveland CBX4 Wedges Review

Played the "original" CBX when it first came out several years ago becasue you could order it with a low bounce. Now at 12* just a little too much bounce for me. Nice looking club though.

I do want to reiterate again how much better these look to me. Better yet, something they’ve done has impacted the feel for me. More solid, not so mushy.

Love that they flow perfectly out of both the ZX4 and ZipCore XL sets. They look like a wedge at address, but don’t look like you’re making a big departure from the general club size you are used to.

I think the sole question is interesting. First, I get that these aren’t for everybody. Hell, when I had the chance to order a full Cleveland set I stuck with RTX6 in the “versatile” wedge slots (54/58).

Kinda talking to myself here, but I just don’t get the idea that people (including me) play wider soles on their irons and moving up a few degrees makes a wider sole impossible to use. Is it a worry about blading shots or something? For me that just hasn’t been an issue. On slight heavy contact these wedges just slide into the ball for me. Far, far better results than skinning the turf and limping into the ball imo. Open face isn’t an issue either. Maybe it’s the sole grind or leading edge tweaks on these.

I have some killer RTX6 at home and they have my name on them. Haven’t brought them out since I got these. I would have laughed if somebody told me that would happen. Basically just saying not to be scared of playing these in higher lofts, especially if you play a GI iron.

I do want to reiterate again how much better these look to me. Better yet, something they’ve done has impacted the feel for me. More solid, not so mushy.

Love that they flow perfectly out of both the ZX4 and ZipCore XL sets. They look like a wedge at address, but don’t look like you’re making a big departure from the general club size you are used to.

I think the sole question is interesting. First, I get that these aren’t for everybody. Hell, when I had the chance to order a full Cleveland set I stuck with RTX6 in the “versatile” wedge slots (54/58).

Kinda talking to myself here, but I just don’t get the idea that people (including me) play wider soles on their irons and moving up a few degrees makes a wider sole impossible to use. Is it a worry about blading shots or something? For me that just hasn’t been an issue. On slight heavy contact these wedges just slide into the ball for me. Far, far better results than skinning the turf and limping into the ball imo. Open face isn’t an issue either. Maybe it’s the sole grind or leading edge tweaks on these.

I have some killer RTX6 at home and they have my name on them. Haven’t brought them out since I got these. I would have laughed if somebody told me that would happen. Basically just saying not to be scared of playing these in higher lofts, especially if you play a GI iron.
I'm assuming when you said you could see yourself gaming CB wedges this years, these were a driving point in that thought?

I lean on my set GW more than I ever have before, these days, its absolutely versatile for all my needs in that 48*ish range. Moving straight to a CB wedge like these in that 52* and higher just makes a lot of sense, especially for someone (me) that loves full swings with high lofted wedges.

I'm assuming when you said you could see yourself gaming CB wedges this years, these were a driving point in that thought?

I lean on my set GW more than I ever have before, these days, its absolutely versatile for all my needs in that 48*ish range. Moving straight to a CB wedge like these in that 52* and higher just makes a lot of sense, especially for someone (me) that loves full swings with high lofted wedges.
Oh, I’m doing it. I’m going to commit and see where it takes me. I can’t promise anything with how equipment seems to bombard me, but I’m not going to let my brain get in the way.

Only issue I had was I felt like the RTX6 58 was better from the sand for me. I think that’s just poor technique that needs cleaned up though. It shouldn’t have been an issue imo.

Oh, I’m doing it. I’m going to commit and see where it takes me. I can’t promise anything with how equipment seems to bombard me, but I’m not going to let my brain get in the way.

Only issue I had was I felt like the RTX6 58 was better from the sand for me. I think that’s just poor technique that needs cleaned up though. It shouldn’t have been an issue imo.
I could see the sand issue with a CB wedge, I mean, it's ingrained in me for a sand shot to lay the club open completely flat and sweep. So, with that thought, it would take a technique change to make the CB work compared to a traditional blade style.

Nice review @Hawk! They look really good. I do like how the face looks on these.

I was lucky enough to receive one of the CBX4 at the Srixon experience in November. I got a 52deg which is not something I use much greenside. For me a gap wedge is a full swing club. I've kept it in the bag and anytime I've hit my Zx7 Aw I'll also drop another ball and hit the CBX4 (while playing alone obviously). The sole is considerably bigger than the Zx7 but doesn't bounce as much on the local Bermuda as I thought it might or get caught up at all. While not as soft as my Zx7 Aw or my RTX6 wedges it doesn't feel bad at all. One thing I find interesting is that while it's 1deg more of loft than the Zx7 Aw the CBX4 is 2-3 yards longer on full swing shots and obviously much more forgiving than the muscle back Zx7.

It's no surprise that most shots are mishit towards the toe ... I know I do it. Nice to see Cleveland take that into account in these wedges. I also like to see they also believe in the UST Mamiya Dart wedge shafts, enough to be their stock. I'm due for a new 56* this year, so I will take a good hard look at these.

Played the "original" CBX when it first came out several years ago becasue you could order it with a low bounce. Now at 12* just a little too much bounce for me. Nice looking club though.
I am a big fan of RTX6 zipcore partly because 50 and 54 are full swing clubs for me and I go with 10 deg bounce.

These new wedges have a minimum of 12 deg bounce even at the lower lofts. I understand that's balanced out by the type of grinds.

I'm a Texas golfer playing often off tight/dormant Bermuda and zoysia, so I don't want that leading edge off the ground in full swing shots. Out of rough, thick grass and especially sand then yes I want that.

For me I seem to struggle with fat shots more when I start hitting finesse shots inside 125 or so. So the appeal to me is actually having a wider sole than my irons in the wedges that transition from my irons to the wedges I use right around the green. I feel I'm gaining from the sole forgiveness in the CBXs more than using the whole face.

I hear what you're saying but there's something about increased bounce, especially that my eyes don't like, just like a full face wedge. I've tried a full face wedge, I can hit a full face wedge, but just don't like it at address. with my wedge shot, I usually open up the club just a little and a high bounce just doesn't look right to my eyes. I currently play at the 58* a Maltby forged DRM at 6* and love it. Been in the bag 3+ years.

I hear what you're saying but there's something about increased bounce, especially that my eyes don't like, just like a full face wedge. I've tried a full face wedge, I can hit a full face wedge, but just don't like it at address. with my wedge shot, I usually open up the club just a little and a high bounce just doesn't look right to my eyes. I currently play at the 58* a Maltby forged DRM at 6* and love it. Been in the bag 3+ years.
I do get it. We are all different for sure!

Wow these are AWESOME looking. I love the graphic showing impacts on the face of the club, it is 100% accurate for me.

I could see myself gaming these vs. the RTX6 if it meant I had more forgiving fluffed shots.

Could we get some in-hand pictures comparing to an RTX6? At address, in profile, etc.?

People are going to like this wedge. It is the perfect advancement of the prior CBX wedges.

Couldn’t resist after contemplating today, and being realistic about my short game and lack of practice, so I just put in my pre-order:

Cleveland CBX 4 Wedges

Loft: 54 & 58

Lie: 2* FLAT

Shaft: Steel

Shaft Type: Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Wedge 115

Shaft Length: +0.25”

Grip: Standard

Wow these are AWESOME looking. I love the graphic showing impacts on the face of the club, it is 100% accurate for me.

I could see myself gaming these vs. the RTX6 if it meant I had more forgiving fluffed shots.

Could we get some in-hand pictures comparing to an RTX6? At address, in profile, etc.?
I can do that at some point. I’m out of the house today, but will do my best to remember.

Okay, I ordered a 50

Okay, I ordered a 50
I love this idea. I could see myself blending these from my iron set, to even a 58, or using RTX6 through 54/58 with these CBX4 in 46/50

I love this idea. I could see myself blending these from my iron set, to even a 58, or using RTX6 through 54/58 with these CBX4 in 46/50
I did this with the CBX Zipcore and kind of assumed I'd do the same with the CBX4.

Kind of funny to the bolded that you mentioned earlier. For me more often than not it's my delivery causing issues and not the loft/bounce/grind of the wedge, but I need to blame someone else but me right??? The time I used the PM grind I had some of my best wedge play and that was a wider sole and a different grind for the tight and unpredictable Bermuda around here.

right now I have a RTX ZipCore 54/12 Full that I just don't trust enough, and I should. thinking back to the good to great shots with that club is when I just made my move into the ball and let the club do the work instead of trying to get cute.

These CBX's look great and I am at the point to get new wedges. I think I need to consider these and see how they perform.

Kind of funny to the bolded that you mentioned earlier. For me more often than not it's my delivery causing issues and not the loft/bounce/grind of the wedge, but I need to blame someone else but me right??? The time I used the PM grind I had some of my best wedge play and that was a wider sole and a different grind for the tight and unpredictable Bermuda around here.

right now I have a RTX ZipCore 54/12 Full that I just don't trust enough, and I should. thinking back to the good to great shots with that club is when I just made my move into the ball and let the club do the work instead of trying to get cute.

These CBX's look great and I am at the point to get new wedges. I think I need to consider these and see how they perform.
I can think of a few shots in particular at Briggs when I just let that worry go. Granted, it's Zoysia (which is kind of its own thing), but 40-50 pitches were really easy to pull off for me. And, it is Bermuda on the green sides.

Here's the funny thing. Pressure sort of reveals things, right? I feel like I'm a better wedge player than the rest of my handicap (24 GHIN with a driver or long club and maybe a 10-12 with a wedge), BUT....

I struggled so bad at Ballyhack with wedges when I was in that competition. So many missed opportunities where I was just behind the ball with a wedge and I absolutely laid a turd. Wedge dug, ball went nowhere. Not saying I was out there tossing darts at Briggs, but my wedge game was much, much better there (and these CBX4's happened to be in the bag).

I can think of a few shots in particular at Briggs when I just let that worry go. Granted, it's Zoysia (which is kind of its own thing), but 40-50 pitches were really easy to pull off for me. And, it is Bermuda on the green sides.

Here's the funny thing. Pressure sort of reveals things, right? I feel like I'm a better wedge player than the rest of my handicap (24 GHIN with a driver or long club and maybe a 10-12 with a wedge), BUT....

I struggled so bad at Ballyhack with wedges when I was in that competition. So many missed opportunities where I was just behind the ball with a wedge and I absolutely laid a turd. Wedge dug, ball went nowhere. Not saying I was out there tossing darts at Briggs, but my wedge game was much, much better there (and these CBX4's happened to be in the bag).
Yeah I get it. 'Mr Deceleration" loves to show up when I don't need him to. For me I am trying to get too cute and about halfway down I think I need to slow down because it will go too far and it's chunk city. I think we are now venturing into the mental side of the game and can be applied to any club, but back to this one, I really think this version will help a lot of people if they let go of the ego or preconceived notions of wedge play and just go have some fun.

Yeah I get it. 'Mr Deceleration" loves to show up when I don't need him to. For me I am trying to get too cute and about halfway down I think I need to slow down because it will go too far and it's chunk city. I think we are now venturing into the mental side of the game and can be applied to any club, but back to this one, I really think this version will help a lot of people if they let go of the ego or preconceived notions of wedge play and just go have some fun.
For sure. I think in my case, pressure just leads to old bad habits resurfacing. For me, that's a steep delivery into the ball, which is a recipe for disaster with the wrong type of sole/bounce. Having a little help there is a big bonus, and I'm just going to say again - I don't really notice any issues with creativity or whatever. I can hit open face shots off my mat just fine with these. It doesn't get much tighter than that.

CBX zipcore was my first intro to the CB wedges and really liked it. Big proponent of the forgiveness they afford. Did not get much practice/use with it out of the sand but everywhere else loved it. I think i holed one from 80 out with the CBX in the first round I played with it.

Back