Cleveland CBX4 Wedges Review

Cleveland CBX4 or Ping S159 is the question for me with wedges this year.

Loved Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth when I played them a few seasons back but did not care for the Glide 3.0 or 4.0.

Loved the CBX ZipCore for most of last season before I moved over to some Vokeys.

Leaning to the CBX 4 but hope to hit them vs the new Ping wedges before I buy.

Those that have experience talk to me about the grinds and how they compare to your gamers
I’m coming from RTX6 and CBX Zipcore.

CBX (46/50) were both V sole so no change.

RTX were mid soles with heel/toe relief. About the only difference I saw was in my ability to get out of bunkers. Couple caveats to that: I tend to be a little from sand with a thinner sole for some reason (opposite of most people) and the sand at Briggs was pretty soft.

Love my cbx2 and it might be time for some new wedges if I change my gapping and these will definitely be in the mix. I am confident when I have my cbx2 in my hands.

These look really good, though I had no complaints with my CBX2s. When I need to replace my wedges, I'll definitely give these a look.

I’ll preface this by saying I’ve played Cleveland wedges for much of the last 5 years since getting back into golf and really much of my life. I was enormously excited for the CBX2 but I did not get along with it at all on the course.

The CBX4 has some noteable improvements in the feel department from that CBX2. I used the 56 for a majority of shots around the green over the weekend. The sole is big and the grind is big. Not sure if it was in my head from the start or what but I struggled with it much like the CBX2. There were some good shots when I wasn’t thinking so much about it and just threw the club at the ground. It was a very forgiving, autopilot feeling. I was able to start doing that more and results were better. I was not able to do the same things I’m used to with my RTX6s.

Calling it a “one trick pony” sounds like a bad thing but it’s really not. More people should simplify their chipping game. I’m probably one of them, but I’m stubborn. :D

If I had the choice, I would have loved to try a 50* with the more full swing grind as I think there’s a lot of potential there for my game.

Those are great looking wedges, looks like Cleveland did a good job of building some GI features into them without making them look like shovels.

Clean looking cavity wedge for sure. Don’t know why but the shape of Cleveland’s has never suited my eye the way they drastically grow in the top line from heal to toe doesn’t seem to fit it.

I am a bonafide CBX believer with CBX 2s in the bag. I may be in the market for a 50* this season and this will be tops on my list to check out.

I love that Cleveland is continuing to evolve this line of wedges, it just makes sense. Have no doubt many people are going to love these! Big fan of the Hydrazip test too! It actually works

I could 100% get behind playing CB wedges this year. It just makes so much sense, and using higher lofted wedges for so many full shots they make a ton of sense.

Love what Cleveland has put out with these wedges.

Thanks for the write up @Hawk !!

I was one of the lucky ones at Briggs Ranch to get a CBX4. My wedge setup for the Srixon Experience probably wasn't my best idea. I chose 3 different wedges for my bag. The CBX Zipcore in 48*, the CBX Full Face 2 in 52*, and the RTX6 Tour Rack in 56*. So adding a 4th different wedge wasn't that big of deal. I ended up getting the CBX4 in 56* after a trade. Thanks again @Steve2100!

The CBX4 looks great! You're right about moving to a metallic insert vs the black plastic. It makes it look much cleaner. The milling on the toe is similar to the RTX6 and I prefer the look of this to the Full Face grooves. It's definitely bigger than the RTX6, but not too bad. But I'm a CBX fan and have used every version since the original.

I've played 5-6 times with the CBX4 56* and kept the RTX6 56* in the bag as well. Anything with a half to full swing, I used the CBX4. I also used it for almost all greenside bunker shots. The S sole really helps me not dig and I find it helpful in getting the ball up quickly. I use the RTX6 for tight lies around the green. This is mainly because of the 14* bounce on the CBX4. That's more than I'm used to playing and I notice it when I'm sitting greenside. Because of that, the only shot I don't fell comfortable hitting with it is an open-faced flop shot. Maybe the C sole in the 58 or 60 with a little less bounce would be a better option for that.

Thank you for all of the detailed and exciting information Hawk. These look really good and sound like the performance and versatility are there as well. Though I have never had issues playing bladed wedges, I have also gotten along really well with a little larger, more forgiving designs like the Edison wedges.

I’ll preface this by saying I’ve played Cleveland wedges for much of the last 5 years since getting back into golf and really much of my life. I was enormously excited for the CBX2 but I did not get along with it at all on the course.

The CBX4 has some noteable improvements in the feel department from that CBX2. I used the 56 for a majority of shots around the green over the weekend. The sole is big and the grind is big. Not sure if it was in my head from the start or what but I struggled with it much like the CBX2. There were some good shots when I wasn’t thinking so much about it and just threw the club at the ground. It was a very forgiving, autopilot feeling. I was able to start doing that more and results were better. I was not able to do the same things I’m used to with my RTX6s.

Calling it a “one trick pony” sounds like a bad thing but it’s really not. More people should simplify their chipping game. I’m probably one of them, but I’m stubborn. :D

If I had the choice, I would have loved to try a 50* with the more full swing grind as I think there’s a lot of potential there for my game.
That's exactly what I am thinking. I don't really want to replace the 54/58 but the forgiveness on a full gap? I'm fully in.

🔥 I am so excited for these things!

Not for me, but they're just so good. For so many people. Always feels like anyone that plays a GI set with lighter graphite is a fool for not looking at these for their wedges. Kills me the number of people who play Paradym with Hzrdus 65, G430 with Alta CB, Stealth with Ventus, etc etc and then have a steel shafted and/or bladed wedge set.

I'm another lucky Srixon participant who rec'd one of these. I have the CBX4 60*. Loved it and it was the only club that enabled me to get out of that big a$$ bunker on the practice area. My son currently has it in his bag as after I got home I decided to stick w/ the Full Face 2 wedges. I think it's a mental thing as I absolutely love the full face at set up for confidence. My oldest has thanked me many times for my choice.

I have a CBX zipcore 50° that I use at times. I like it. Full shot spin is fantastic, and it really is nice to get a little help on mishits. Partials are easy, and chipping with it takes a little adjustment (hotter off the face) but works just fine. I look forward to checking out the new version.

Good looking clubs. I admit I am one those who gravitate to the blade style of wedge, but it's in my head, I almost never take a big swing with my wedges even the set gap wedge. The gap is maybe 75%, the sand will get a full swing from time to time - still rare, and the lob ever less. So, with that, I am always assuming that I will hit closer to center - due to the more controlled swing. I guess it may be time to test that out in a shop or two on a SIM.

Fantastic review @Hawk. Incredibly informative and these seem impressive, to say the least.

🔥 I am so excited for these things!

Not for me, but they're just so good. For so many people. Always feels like anyone that plays a GI set with lighter graphite is a fool for not looking at these for their wedges. Kills me the number of people who play Paradym with Hzrdus 65, G430 with Alta CB, Stealth with Ventus, etc etc and then have a steel shafted and/or bladed wedge set.
Can you elaborate why going from graphite in irons to steel in wedges is a bad thing?

I play the Altas in my G425's which in the 73g range and then go to a Glide 4.0 with 115g stock Nippon shaft and then the CBX Full Face 2 with stock DG shaft. Thinki ts 115g too.

They all gap off well and I feel like going to lighter graphite in my wedges would give up some in the accuracy dept.

Now I get your comment about playing GI irons and then going to a bladed wedge. I am not sure I would call my Glide 4.0 a pure bladed wedge but something like the CBX wedge which I have gamed before in the 56* slot definitely blends better than my Glide 4.0 from a sheet size perspective.

Can you elaborate why going from graphite in irons to steel in wedges is a bad thing?

I play the Altas in my G425's which in the 73g range and then go to a Glide 4.0 with 115g stock Nippon shaft and then the CBX Full Face 2 with stock DG shaft. Thinki ts 115g too.

They all gap off well and I feel like going to lighter graphite in my wedges would give up some in the accuracy dept.

Now I get your comment about playing GI irons and then going to a bladed wedge. I am not sure I would call my Glide 4.0 a pure bladed wedge but something like the CBX wedge which I have gamed before in the 56* slot definitely blends better than my Glide 4.0 from a sheet size perspective.
It's just a hell of a jump in weight. What is that, like a 55% increase in yours? Where's the flow in that? It helps that a lot of oems have gone to 115 from the usual 128+, but it's still a big difference. The change in feel and how it affects swings is pretty hard to ignore most times on monitor. Everyone's always worried about losing feel but the Dart 80 is a good shaft and offers an increase in weight for those wedges without it being so drastic. And it's not like people that need lighter weight graphite different get 15 years younger or gain speed with a wedge in their hands. Most people that play that type of graphite in their irons adapt really quickly to that kind of wedge setup.

Nice write up, Hawk... After giving the SM9's a good go, I feel like I should go back to the CBX...I played them noticeably better. These look good and I'm sure they feel just as good as the cbx2 wedges did...

Great article.

Cleveland, what are you doing to me? My wedges are Cleveland. Have been for years. Until a few years ago, the same CG14 or 16 that I replaced the Cobra knock off I had in the 90's. "King Snake"... yeah, that's not a counterfeit club. :ROFLMAO: Whatever. It was cheap. I was cheaper... still am to an extent.

I've got a CBX2 and Zipcore wedge. I hit the CBX2 better. I was thinking of moving away from Cleveland this time and going for something cavity backed. Now I'll be looking at the CBX4. It's unfortunate I can't get one in 50* or lower... not available for left hand. I'll be getting them with graphite shafts because I like that better.

Back