Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

What kind of misses were you seeing TC?

Not really a miss as much as poor alignment. I birdie'd my first hole yesterday (started on the par 5 10th) then went to the 11th, which is a tough ass par 3 dude. The had the pin back, it was 192 to it and I went after it. I shouldn't have. I should've played short of the flag and to the middle of the green but that leaves a treacherous putt to get up and down. I ended up hitting the ball straight and the right distance but I was lined up a little left of where I wanted to be. I need to be conscious about my feet, which i tend to forget about sometimes.

Not a real update but when I was at the range yesterday a guy commented on how nice my irons looked :blush: and then went on to give me the backhand by asking if they were Titleist :bulgy-eyes:

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Even though that's sort of a downer, it does show that these have some eye appeal to the serious golfer haha.

I'm telling you - the guys I was playing with would not shut up about my irons. I talked to my cart partner about them all day.

Sheep Colt. You should've have slain him (figuratively, not literally)

That's awesome to hear buddy. I feel the same way. I used to be the guy that liked hitting the 150 yard PW, but now I could care less. These irons just make me happy and confident, and to me, that's priceless.

Hell yes it is.

Distance is one of those things that has been more important to me out of my longer clubs over the last year. I honestly just want to 1) know how far I hit my irons and 2) feel like I'm going to hit them well.

I've been missing the 5 iron over the last couple weeks and I think I'll end up buying one after the MC. I may not use it all the time, but I do want one. Sometimes I notice a gap between my irons and hybrids, especially off the tee. I figure these will be in my bag for a long time at this rate and I want the extra club if I need it.

Personally, one of the best sets of irons I owned in the past couple of years were the Burner 2.0's. I love how stupid long they are and I thought they looked awesome. However, all I wanted to do was bash them. There was no level of anything else other than let's see how far I can hit them. But these irons make me feel like a ball striker. They give me a level of cockiness that's pretty awesome. Do you find that?

Nail on the head. You couldn't really think with 2.0's in the bag. It was always more of a "well I'm gonna rip this X iron down yonder." Since gaming the 588 irons I've become more cerebral about shots, where can I miss, what's the danger, can I try a crazy shot here etc etc.

Like I've said before the game is different now.

--
Tapatalk2

I quite enjoy my 5iron, and it's one of the clubs I kept the stock loft on. It's my punch out, lay up, 185-195 yard club. It's an anvil.

Nail on the head. You couldn't really think with 2.0's in the bag. It was always more of a "well I'm gonna rip this X iron down yonder." Since gaming the 588 irons I've become more cerebral about shots, where can I miss, what's the danger, can I try a crazy shot here etc etc.

Like I've said before the game is different now.

--
Tapatalk2

I love the way you said it dude! That's exactly how I felt.

Well dang. Now I'm thinking of a good way to get out on the course today after work.

I know this sounds sort of lame, but I honestly keep thinking about a scenario where I have a 7 iron in my hand on 18 at Caledonia. If I do I'm going to stick it!

Well dang. Now I'm thinking of a good way to get out on the course today after work.

I know this sounds sort of lame, but I honestly keep thinking about a scenario where I have a 7 iron in my hand on 18 at Caledonia. If I do I'm going to stick it!

That's not lame, that's awesome!

I would like to see that. Provided I'm up a hole on you.

What's the yardage on that hole btw? Some dude went to trouble of sending a yardage guide to me awhile back but it fell victim to autodelete

No comment on the first part, but I hope we both hit some darts with these, Danny!

It plays 360-377 depending on the tee box. I think you could try to get risky off the tee to shorten up that approach shot or else it looks like a mid iron in to the green.

Yep and I'm guessing we go blue tees. You know we're gonna be throwing darts all day, it'll be like a heavyweight fight with all the Cleveland goodness us 3 will have on display for that match.

Battle of the giant craniums!

Man, this one's been quiet for a while. Didn't see that happening for a long time still.

Had a decent round today, but nothing really to write about from today's round.

One thing... And I am a little aggravated. I let one of the old men I talk to on the range all the time try out my PW because he was talking about how "pretty" they are. No problem, right? Wrong! He commences to hit a big time fatty off the toe and the sand he digs up + the ball hitting the face= big ass sand scuffs on the toe of my shiny chrome PW!!! :angry:

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

damn old bastards, scuffing up your PW. bummer COLT.

588's and me had a decent outing yesterday in the scramble. playing a different course gave me the opportunity to come into greens with something other than a wedge a few times. i still tend to pick up on these a bit more than i'd like, hitting it off the bottom of the face...but that's just my main miss. other than that, sometimes it get frustrating when i plan on my goto baby fade and i hit it straight or pull it left OR plan on hitting it straight or baby draw and i hit that fade/slice. but, such is golf.

Hit a few scoopers with my PW yesterday, which usually means I'm going to come up short. That's something I have to practice out of my system because swinging this PW well usually means good things for me.

Other than that, the 588 irons performed pretty well for me when I called on them. Hit a beauty of a 6 iron from a very uneven lie that resulted in a GIR/par on one of the more difficult holes on my course. Also saved myself from a couple poor choices off the tee with a combo of punch shots to the fairway and full shots to the green.

Compared to a couple of the guys I played with, my ball flight is lower, but that's not uncommon for me. The good news is that I was generating enough spin to stop the ball quickly.

Ok work has calmed down for a few minutes so I can get some thoughts out on these irons after the weekend round. Despite having these for a few weeks now I am just now getting to that point where I see a yardage and I am not thinking about what club to pull, it's becoming more instinct now and I can trust that the club I pull will go the desired distance. Had a few shots yesterday that I didn't like but for the most part it was a great day with the 588 irons. Something that jumped out at me during the round and like I told biggsy I was afraid I was jinxing myself by saying it, I haven't been in a green side bunker in about a month. With my old irons I was like a shotgun going into greens, if it was 160 yds I was pulling 7/8 iron and blasting away. I might be on the green or I might be 15 yds left or right. With the 588's I feel much more precise and as a result I'm hitting more greens and less misses to the side of the green, if anything my misses or a little short or long of the green now, much easier for me to save par than it is coming from a bunker.

Like I mentioned when I decided to go with these irons they force me to work and be more aware out on the course, that has translated into me staying mentally focused and putting in the work needed to perform well with these irons. As a result I'm hitting more and more good shots and less poor shots, there are still a few bad ones mixed in through the round but it's a whole lot less than there were.

The ball flight is maybe a touch low but I'm not seeing any issues holding greens and honestly I'm pleased with my distance out on the course so i don't think I'm giving much in that area. I have the KBS Tour in stiff flex in my irons and I'm starting to feel what I've heard people talking about in terms of how good the KBS shafts feel compared to others. A few times Saturday I hit shots and honestly didn't feel a thing but a smooth cut through the turf. I sorta like that now that I can identify it. I'm getting a little less yardage on average but when struck pure I don't much if any loss in distance to the stronger lofted clubs I was playing. I credit this to the mass of the club being right behind the ball instead of spread out over a larger surface area. Striking the ball well takes advantage of the mass being more centered and transfers the energy into the ball more efficiently in my eyes.

I did have a few smothered hooks on Saturday, a result of turning to much before impact but even still the distance was spot on what I intended. One of those was a case of me being to committed to 8 iron when I should have gone down to a 7 due to the wind. Instead I hammered 8 and cost myself a stroke, I'll learn. All in all I haven't found an aspect of these clubs I don't like, the look great, perform even better, and I find myself walking with a little more confidence as a result. I'm seeing no real noticeable wear other than a few tiny spots on the sole from small pebbles and such.

SW, it really does sound like you are beyond thrilled with your decision. That's great man. They are a rewarding iron for sure.

I continue to be impressed with mine. I had some great success out of the box with them but I feel as though I'm finally being rewarded. I hit some great shots today but the one shot that really stands out was my 2nd shot on the par 4, third hole. It's a tough hole. It's the Number 1 handicap hole and it's long. I pushed my tee shot left, which you just cannot due b/c there's a massive oak tree over there that just eats golf balls.

I get up there and see my ball is about 8-10' behind the oak and I have absolutely no shot at the green. I'm around 205 yards from the front of the green. I decide to grab the 5 iron, and just hit a little punch cut and take my medicine. I absolutely hammered this ball, it goes right of the oak then cuts a bit. Perfect. I hit a little wedge to a foot or two and saved my par.

It's shots like that that can save a round or build momentum. I'm glad I have the confidence to try shots like that with these irons if I have too.

Heck of a shot dude!

I finally figured out what people mean when they say they caught it a groove or two low. I'd have been fine never knowing what that was lol. On a par 4 I had 170 in but I stuck my drive on the wrong side of a mound and couldn't see the green or the pin. Picked a cloud for aim and hoped for the best, contact felt like I hit a brick with a steel pipe. Dumb me thinking I caught it really thin, I ran out from behind the mound hollerin bite! bite! bite! While biggsy looked at me like I was a face eating zombie, I was about 30 yards short of the green...doh!

Haha, too funny. You ever feel like we talk to the same 6 to 8 guys in this thread? Are these irons not on more people's radars?

Hit a few scoopers with my PW yesterday, which usually means I'm going to come up short. That's something I have to practice out of my system because swinging this PW well usually means good things for me.

Other than that, the 588 irons performed pretty well for me when I called on them. Hit a beauty of a 6 iron from a very uneven lie that resulted in a GIR/par on one of the more difficult holes on my course. Also saved myself from a couple poor choices off the tee with a combo of punch shots to the fairway and full shots to the green.

Compared to a couple of the guys I played with, my ball flight is lower, but that's not uncommon for me. The good news is that I was generating enough spin to stop the ball quickly.

You were hitting those 588's well dude. Such a great looking club and seem to be working well for you. For not having them all that long, they have earned your confidence and are giving you some good results. I need to get some more swings in with these...

Haha, too funny. You ever feel like we talk to the same 6 to 8 guys in this thread? Are these irons not on more people's radars?

They should be man, hell if I can play them and not to sound like a braggart but I don't think I'm at the top end of the handicap range for these irons, a lot of others could play well with these irons. It is what it is though. Cleveland has something special with this iron for sure.

--
Tapatalk2

You were hitting those 588's well dude. Such a great looking club and seem to be working well for you. For not having them all that long, they have earned your confidence and are giving you some good results. I need to get some more swings in with these...

I hope you do. All that SRI gear in your sig, these would be a lovely addition.

They're on mine, sort of. Even though I won't be getting new irons any time soon. I like to pop in and out of this thread once in a while. Nice 5 iron shot btw. I love the punch cut.

They're on mine, sort of. Even though I won't be getting new irons any time soon. I like to pop in and out of this thread once in a while. Nice 5 iron shot btw. I love the punch cut.

You'll get to hit these in September!

I hope you do. All that SRI gear in your sig, these would be a lovely addition.

I agree... 588's with some PXi's make my heart go pitter patter...

I agree... 588's with some PXi's make my heart go pitter patter...

That's a combo I want to try badly. I've looked around for a fitting cart since TC got his but carts don't exist down here with anything newer than CG16's.

--
Tapatalk2

Back