Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

I want some 588's. Damnit, I just ordered J40's too. I want them both. I just want to do like an every other club setup LOL

I want some 588's. Damnit, I just ordered J40's too. I want them both. I just want to do like an every other club setup LOL

Haha that would be interesting. Christmas is coming, treat yourself.

--
Tapatalk2

I reckon there could be a right handed 588 with a PXi shaft in it for you to try SW.

Haha that would be interesting. Christmas is coming, treat yourself.

--
Tapatalk2

Haha, I'm just so immersed in Bridgestone and cleveland man. I want full bags of gear from both of them. There's really not one or the other I like more, they are just both at the very top to me.

I reckon there could be a right handed 588 with a PXi shaft in it for you to try SW.

I'm happy now.

--
Tapatalk2

Haha, too funny. You ever feel like we talk to the same 6 to 8 guys in this thread? Are these irons not on more people's radars?

i too don't know how these didn't make a bigger splash. possibly unfortunately overshadowed by their own success with the wedges and driver maybe? i mean, albeit the demo day i went to in April was small, but there was like (1) 588 6 iron and i think i was the only person to hit it.
even with the splash Cleveland has made on tour this year, i'm not so sure i would have the irons on my radar either, if not for THP in general. of course, i live in the middle of no Cleveland gear land and it's unfortunate.

honestly, my favorite club from the irons has been the 8 iron. we just seem to click every time i pull it out of the bag. others i have had to get adjusted to and go one way one day and another the next, but not the 8. the 9 and PW are similar, but can sometimes end up short for me...which is not a good feeling. it sounds weird, but i love the 8 above all others.

Haha, I'm just so immersed in Bridgestone and cleveland man. I want full bags of gear from both of them. There's really not one or the other I like more, they are just both at the very top to me.

Went with the J40's huh? Surprised after the discussions we had, but happy for you. Congrats man.

Tapping from my iPad

Went with the J40's huh? Surprised after the discussions we had, but happy for you. Congrats man.

Tapping from my iPad

I did. It was really a toss up but I could get a better price on them and needed to do some other things in the bag too. Love my Cleveland gear too no doubt

I did. It was really a toss up but I could get a better price on them and needed to do some other things in the bag too. Love my Cleveland gear too no doubt

also a good choice for sure. from what i remember (limited testing) these 2 sets would be very comparable in a lot of ways...

SW, quit pondering and strap a set of PXi's on them puppies! No real way to be disappointed I believe. These shafts and these irons are straight money!

They are slowly making a case to put the i20's on the B-team... :bulgy-eyes:

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

This is my thinking exactly. I replaced my entire bag except irons this year, and will probably wait till next season or this fall or something, but when I look, I have almost entirely narrowed it down to these, and maybe i20's.

I want to hit these with the PXi too please.

Guys I know I don't need to worry about distance but I was just wondering how far you guys are hitting these I see posts about some distances so maybe a PW, 8, 6, and 4 distance if you guys have the distance dialed in on them. Thanks. Pretty excited about the AC tour van stop I'll be able to hit these again. Prob be making my decision after that. Just need to be patient for a mont and a half.

Honestly Buck, my distances aren't even close to relevant to you haha.

These are the distances I'm usually playing for, though they fluctuate up if I'm having a good week.

PW - 115-120
8 - 140
6 - 160

Those are distnaces I've been pretty comfy with for awhile now coming from the V2's. If I were you, I wouldn't let potential loss of distance be a concern at all. You may lose a few yards from your R11's, but I don't think it's going to be an issue.

I want to hit these with the PXi too please.

me three!

Guys I know I don't need to worry about distance but I was just wondering how far you guys are hitting these I see posts about some distances so maybe a PW, 8, 6, and 4 distance if you guys have the distance dialed in on them. Thanks. Pretty excited about the AC tour van stop I'll be able to hit these again. Prob be making my decision after that. Just need to be patient for a mont and a half.

pretty similar to Hawkster, although...again, i don't think i smash the ball like you do Buck. i'm just a little guy.
plus, mine are bent 2* strong - believe Hawks are too.

PW - 110-120
8 - 140-150
6 - 160-165

i can really connect with one and smash it on the screws, but the normal shots are to this, if not shorter at times.

Hi Bucky! Can't wait for you to get your hands on these irons again dude. They'll sing to you!

PW: 105-135
8iron: 145-165
6iron: 175-185
4iron: n/a as I didn't get one.

Bear in mind that my 588's were bent to match the lofts of the i20's though.

This is what I count on, but as always I can ramp it up a bit if needed.
PW-120-25
8-140-45
6-160-65
4-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA...No.

These are conservative distances...aka, not "internet golfer" distances. My irons are bent 1 degree strong from the stock lofts.

PW: 125-130
8i: 145-155
6i: 170-180
4i: not in the bag

Buck here are my distances with my 588 CB's (bent 1* strong):

PW: 130-135
8 iron: 150-155
6 iron: 175-180
4 iron: 200-205

I have lost a few yards from the Burner 2.0's, but the difference isn't as big as I would have thought. The 588's are simply awesome.

i too don't know how these didn't make a bigger splash. possibly unfortunately overshadowed by their own success with the wedges and driver maybe? i mean, albeit the demo day i went to in April was small, but there was like (1) 588 6 iron and i think i was the only person to hit it.
even with the splash Cleveland has made on tour this year, i'm not so sure i would have the irons on my radar either, if not for THP in general. of course, i live in the middle of no Cleveland gear land and it's unfortunate.

honestly, my favorite club from the irons has been the 8 iron. we just seem to click every time i pull it out of the bag. others i have had to get adjusted to and go one way one day and another the next, but not the 8. the 9 and PW are similar, but can sometimes end up short for me...which is not a good feeling. it sounds weird, but i love the 8 above all others.

Make that three of us. I've been talking these up, along with the i20s and J40 DPCs, to anyone who is in the market for new irons. Only ones that I have seen on anyone's radar are the i20s. I'd really like to get a chance to hit all 3. Don't know that I'm there yet, but it would be nice to have some comparisons so I could make an educated purchase. When I decide to order.

Just not sure a lot of people have had the chance to hit them or think they are too much iron for them. Sort of the same way you don't hear a lot about Titleist CB's.

Think it will be one of those irons that catch on over time and don't change a lot over the years

Sent from my HTC One X

I think it's the nature of the beast when it comes to this type of iron. I think our feedback and dialogue will open some eyes, but these probably won't end up being an iron that is in peoples' faces like some others out there. My hope is that people that are looking at these will find our feedback helpful for the next couple years of their life cycle. In addition to that, I hope that we can at least put them on some some short lists for people to try because I really do think they are remarkable irons.

It does seem like Cleveland hangs on to a good iron design like this for awhile, which I like. They put out some pretty timeless designs in their forged offerings. Hell, the CG1 were just removed from their site recently when the 588's started going to market.

The comparison to the Titlesist CB is interesting to me because they do share a similar profile in pictures. However, in person it seems to like the 588 is more substantial in size of the blade and depth of the cavity.

I think it's the nature of the beast when it comes to this type of iron. I think our feedback and dialogue will open some eyes, but these probably won't end up being an iron that is in peoples' faces like some others out there. My hope is that people that are looking at these will find our feedback helpful for the next couple years of their life cycle. In addition to that, I hope that we can at least put them on some some short lists for people to try because I really do think they are remarkable irons.

It does seem like Cleveland hangs on to a good iron design like this for awhile, which I like. They put out some pretty timeless designs in their forged offerings. Hell, the CG1 were just removed from their site recently when the 588's started going to market.

The comparison to the Titlesist CB is interesting to me because they do share a similar profile in pictures. However, in person it seems to like the 588 is more substantial in size of the blade and depth of the cavity.

They are a great set of irons no doubt. I really think that most of the issue with these not being on the radar is Cleveland's marketing (or lack thereof). They are the anti Taylor Made. No big release pressers, no hard release dates. They were weeks behind in getting these to market and if you remember early in this thread, we had no idea when they were going to show up. My regional Cleveland rep couldn't give me an answer on the release date of the 588's until a couple of weeks before! To me that is not a good business model. Taylor Made has signage up months ahead of a release stating a hard date and has the stock shipped for midnight sales on the dates. I am not saying it has to be that over the top, but it isn't too much to ask of a company to have the new clubs in the stores when they say they are going to be there, not weeks late. I think the late release has really hurt Cleveland.

Back