Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I imagine there's a thread on this somewhere, but I looked for a bit and now am over it haha

Does anyone on here collect cards? We've collected Pokemon cards for a couple years but Cal is getting more and more into Sports and I want to start building up that collection for him - That in mind, I'm finding it rather challenging to see what cards we should be collecting, and what is the best to pursue. Baseball, basketball, football, and hockey are all in play here.

Looking for some info, and also, looking to hear more about your collections.

I imagine there's a thread on this somewhere, but I looked for a bit and now am over it haha

Does anyone on here collect cards? We've collected Pokemon cards for a couple years but Cal is getting more and more into Sports and I want to start building up that collection for him - That in mind, I'm finding it rather challenging to see what cards we should be collecting, and what is the best to pursue. Baseball, basketball, football, and hockey are all in play here.

Slippery slope sir, slippery slope.

I collected (mostly hockey) back when you didn't have to skip a mortgage payment to buy a box of cards. I see packs of cards now starting at four or five bucks. How is a kid supposed to afford that?

Obviously it's going to be Cal's decision, but I would recommend focusing on a player or two and pursuing that. Connor McDavid or similar. Kinda like you and anime with your Funkos.:LOL:

Card shops have gone the way of the dodo bird around here, so classified (craigslist?) sites will be your friend. Above all else, have fun with it. Value comes and goes - focus on what Cal likes and value won't matter.

I swear I started one of these at some point!

I am a big sports card collector, some investments, but mainly just players I like.

I recently acquired a couple of Albert Pujols rookie cards, including his Topps Chrome as he is my favorite player of all time.

I have a Trout Rookie and Lebron rookie which were more investment pieces, and then a lot of current/former Cardinal players as well.

At one time I had over 100,000 cards. My dad owned a card shop when I was growing up and I spent many hours opening packs. Sold most of my cards in the past couple years. Even sold my prized 86-87 Fleer basketball set after I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I don't really know what is popular anymore. Seems like most people chase autos or memorabilia these days. As was mentioned above, as long as you get stuff he's into, it'll be fun.

I have in the past. Like most kids a chunk of any money I got went to baseball cards. They are probably in a box somewhere at my parent house. Guessing the early 90’s card market is flooded with folks like me. Teens through college I played a lot of magic the gathering. Had a decent collection but most of mine were played a lot. I’ll still go hit a draft tournament periodically at a local board game bar but don’t typically keep the cards. I’ll turn around and flip them back to the store at the end of the tournament to cover the entry fee.

but I would recommend focusing on a player or two and pursuing that

I went that route back when I was collecting baseball cards and it blew up in my face. Haha. Being a lifelong Red Sox fan, Clemens was one of them (only while he still played for the Red Sox) and Bonds was the other (was always a huge fan of his game). Their rookie cards still have some value but nothing like it should have seen given their talents had they not gotten mixed up in the PED scandals. With that said, I don't regret it because I still regard them as the best pitcher and position player I have seen in my lifetime.

It is definitely a fun and can be a quite expensive hobby. I would probably concentrate the collecting efforts on whatever Cal's favorite sport is. Just like all commodities and collectible markets, there are many ups and downs. Go in with the mindset you are doing it for fun and it will be just that. Not many bigger thrills than opening up packs of trading cards IMO.

I went that route back when I was collecting baseball cards and it blew up in my face. Haha. Being a lifelong Red Sox fan, Clemens was one of them (only while he still played for the Red Sox) and Bonds was the other (was always a huge fan of his game). Their rookie cards still have some value but nothing like it should have seen given their talents had they not gotten mixed up in the PED scandals. With that said, I don't regret it because I still regard them as the best pitcher and position player I have seen in my lifetime.

It is definitely a fun and can be a quite expensive hobby. I would probably concentrate the collecting efforts on whatever Cal's favorite sport is. Just like all commodities and collectible markets, there are many ups and downs. Go in with the mindset you are doing it for fun and it will be just that. Not many bigger thrills than opening up packs of trading cards IMO.
Bonds and Clemens are the best ever. They are getting a raw deal.

Just found my old stash. I have 1,000's of cards from the early 90's. My uncle used to give me them by the box full. Going thru them now with my kids, and letting them start their own collection. Right now they collect Indians baseball, any basketball they find, and other cards that have funny or unique pictures. Well get out a box on a rainy day and just sit and go thru them, it's a lot of fun.

I also have a special box with the cards that are more rare. Haven't gone thru that one yet though. Should be fun to take a stroll down memory lane though.

Just found my old stash. I have 1,000's of cards from the early 90's. My uncle used to give me them by the box full. Going thru them now with my kids, and letting them start their own collection. Right now they collect Indians baseball, any basketball they find, and other cards that have funny or unique pictures. Well get out a box on a rainy day and just sit and go thru them, it's a lot of fun.

I also have a special box with the cards that are more rare. Haven't gone thru that one yet though. Should be fun to take a stroll down memory lane though.
Even more fun when you check the price values hahaha

Even more fun when you check the price values hahaha
Have to dust off an old Beckett and see how much they used to be worth :ROFLMAO:

Have Pokemon and sports. Son loves Pokemon I have sports cards. Best right now would be a 2 of 10 signed Gavin lux rookie.

My friend, you are better off sticking with Funko's :D

The kid wants what the kid wants, man.... And we're running out of room for funkos hahaha
I remember buying packs with 20 cards in them back in 90's for $2. The last box I bought was Lebron's rookie season. I got 20 packs with about 10 per pack for $100. Now you get like 5 cards for $10 or more and boxes have like 50-60 cards for $100 if you want to try for anything good.

I can't tell you how much my oldest has spent over the years on Pokemon cards. I drove all over Louisville trying to find a darn Charizard card I think it was.

Every kid has their thing. That wallet will thin quickly. :LOL:

I collected sports (hockey and baseball) cards as a kid, was never into non-sports stuff. I focused on my favorite players and ended up with 4 pretty extensive collections.

Don Mattingly and Tino Martinez.
Pat LaFontaine and Mike Richter.

Used to wait for the new Beckett to come out like I was Ralpie Parker.

Had some great times with my Dad hitting card shops and shows. Dealers got to know me as the Tino kid and would save cards for me. Only way I got a few 1 of 1s.

Gave it up in my late teens as chasing buckle bunnies got more important. They also started coming out with like 80 cards a year for the one player.

I still have all the cards though and can tell you where most came from.

Last edited:
Baseball stick to topps, panini doesn't have the licenses for the logos. Hockey is all upper deck mostly, football I really like select

I did a long time ago. I had a signed Hank Aaron card at one time.

Was going to get into it during the off season, but have a buddy who got into it and told me how much he's dropped for little to no gain and said I'd rather spend it on golf. As others have said here, ebay or find a card site you like and join a couple break's for Cal's favorite team in XYZ sport.

With that I wish you luck sir!

Don Mattingly and Tino Martinez.
Pat LaFontaine and Mike Richter.

Used to wait for the new Beckett to come out like I was Ralpie Parker.

Had some great times with my Dad hitting card shops and shows. Dealers got to know me as the Tino kid and would save cards for me. Only way I got a few 1 of 1s.
Funny enough, I have a Tino Martinez Mariners Donruss rookie card signed by him in person. One of my most memorable cards.

I know I have every 1st generation Pokémon card, back from when I was in elementary school.

For sports, I also focused on my favorite players -- Ken Griffey Jr, Edgar Martinez, Alex Rodriguez, Steve Young, and Jerry Rice -- but I kept every card I got and studied everyone's career stats like it was my job. Hobby only lasted a couple of years before middle school. No idea what any of my cards are worth, they've been untouched in card binders for 20 years.

I used to collect baseball cards, and had a good bit of them...but then I gave them to a friend that helped me out when I didn't have really anything. I have a couple of boxes now, but don't even really know what I have (probably nothing worth much). I can't afford another expensive hobby, so I haven't let myself get into it too much.

Cal's uncle brought him a bunch of crazy cool cards (probably nothing in the grand scheme of things but great for a starting sports card collector) for his birthday and christmas.

The last couple days between his birthday and a trip out today has him loading up a bit, and I think I'm pretty firmly in the camp of "Baseball, Football, then hockey, then I guess maybe basketball" on the hierarchy of what he really wants.

I can't decide which I like the best so far. It's probably between baseball and hockey as that's what I grew up collecting.

Back