Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Irons & Hybrids Review

Some of these things are not like the others! How do you like the irons?
Just got them today. Only one range sesh in, but initial impressions:

Looks/Aesthetics -
Down by the ball I really like them. I have played the G425 or G430 irons for the better part of 3 seasons and they look fine to me from the 8i down on which is in that 3mm range. The 6i and 7i though has always given me fits when lining up to the ball as they are in the 4-5mm range.
The 6i on the Smoke HL is 4.1mm and 7i is 3.4mm which is fine on both.
Topline is fine, not too wide, not too thin. Just right for the class of iron it falls into.
Sole is 1" wide which falls in line with most GI irons out there.
The only knock I have is the chrome finish Callaway uses. I am just not a chrome guy. To me it cheapens the look of the iron.
When I got them into the bag, I was kind of underwhelmed with the bag appeal. They kinda reminded me of those new Launcher Max irons at a quick glance. Maybe its the blue font.
1712684548755.png1712684563351.png

Performance -
I bought these mainly because I like the stock shaft option 85g Elevate. As an on again off again steel or graphite guy I have always felt that graphite shafts in that 70-90g range lacks the kick i prefer to feel in a shaft. Yet whenever I have tried or gamed 80-85g steel shafts I tend to hit the irons well. The Elevates definitely has a pronounced 'kick" through the ball and I liked the nice and high ball flight. Also I like to turn the ball over and this combo did that with ease.
One area I thought these do an exceptional job with is the low groove thin strike. The ball flew higher than it should have. So props there.

Sound/Feel - For a cavity back club it did a decent job on sound and feel. A soft click is how I would describe it. When you centered it up it definitely had a more pleasing feel than when caught toe or heel side.

Definitely looking forward to getting them on the course.
Tonight I will measure Swing weight and loft to see how Callaway did there on the build.

Last edited:
True... at the end of the season will be more telling as some form of Ping 'G' iron always creeps back into the bag :)
well enjoy these...looking forward to hearing your feedback and how long they stay in the bag for.

9i Review !

Recently, I put up some numbers with the PW for the Smoke and how it fit into my gapping and where I found a lot of use for it. Moving on to the 9i

What I Want
My desired characteristics on paper ar

- 130 to 135 yards in distance
- precise control of distance and spin
- forgiveness across the board

What I Got

Distance ? Check

IMG_9289.jpeg

130 yards to below the pin and a look for birdie….

IMG_9287.jpeg

Perfect distance control with another birdie look (I need to convert these one of these days!)

All in all - perfect distance

Forgiveness - exactly what I’m looking for, able to hit a bit of a stinker but not get a flier or a block. I’ve gotten much better at shaping the irons and getting a nice draw when I need but the default here is straight

Spin control - on point, I know I can hold a green even attacking it with a 9i over 100 yards out

IMG_9288.jpeg

These are really solid irons for me and definitely holding up in my irons for this bag!

Starting to think the LINQ black 100 F5 is going to be needed to keep the ball down a little with this monster.

Have an appointment tomorrow for a "Callaway Performance Fitter". Holding out hope to try these with the Modus 105x or the Dart 105 F4, so far no go at Golf Galaxy, PGASS or even the local fitters. to be honest though, the modus 105s i have now are smooth so may just stay. Liked the idea of something a little heavier and a little stiffer though. I tried the 120x but didn't like the 120 profile. Also not a fan of the 105 s300 or 120 s300. Will see how it goes and what they have to try. I know i'm not a fan of the elevate or much of the KBS stuff.
Had a great experience with a Callaway fitter today with these. He was really good and we tried about 10 shafts varying from 105-120’s and in Stiff and Extra Stiff. I currently game p790s with Modus 105 stiff and a 7i swing speed around 90, so on the border.

After all was said and done, the iron that really was the best for me was the Elevate 115 stiff. It just felt effortlessly for me. He did not have a Dart 105 though (I did swing a 90 and loved it but would need more weight). Really thinking through which way to go but excited to get these ordered. Interested in the Darts due to some elbow soreness / tennis elbow flareups the past couple of years.

They look great at address, are more forgiving than the p790, spin higher and really help me with gapping from the 9i up through the wedges. The fitter did recommend picking up the 50* GW to replace my 50* T24 since I use it more for full swings.

Last edited:
They're here...
OK they arrived last night. Will hit them this weekend. But I noticed I didnt order the GW, but just the AW. Need to order the GW today in order to help with the gapping. The AW is 46 and my Jaws wedge is a 56/12 so I need that 50* GW.
Glad I listened to everyone here and made the switch from the Paradyms. These do look much better at address(helloooo ball...). Sorry the Honeymooners.
OK GW ordered! Can’t wait…these irons are insane. Can’t begin to share how pleased I am to have traded my Paradyms for these. At least for me. Paradyms are great but the Smokes do kick it up a notch…

OK GW ordered! Can’t wait…these irons are insane. Can’t begin to share how pleased I am to have traded my Paradyms for these. At least for me. Paradyms are great but the Smokes do kick it up a notch…
Let us know your thoughts once you get them on the course!

Just got a UPS notification that these will be delivered tomorrow. Hoping the rain holds off or I get a good enough break to to hit them before I leave town this weekend. When I talked to the rep he said that they should be done in about a week, but I didn't expect to see them this quick.

the smoke hybrid has a really pleasing crack to it when testing tonight
I found myself thinking of this again today when pondering that part of the bag. I think I need more time with these. Nothing wrong with chasing feel right?

The more that I have been hitting these, on a sim mind you, I question if I am getting a descent angle that is going to allow me to hold greens.

I was at like 40*, which I was ok with, now with 7 iron I keep seeing things in the 33-35*... and it is starting to worry me lol.

I need to get on a course badly, too much staring at numbers, and not enough seeing a ball hit a real green to make an accurate observation on what is happening.

Last edited:
So..,, I love the look at address they are a bit smaller than my Apex21, they have been a little tougher to get used but getting there. I’m thinking the Dart 90 F3 are not as good of fit as they were in the Apex. Might try a steel shaft to see if there’s a difference, the dart seem to be a little late at the tip area. The hybrid 5 is a wonderful experience, have not been a fan in the past. More range time and course time coming.IMG_6645.jpeg

The more that I have been hitting these, on a sim mind you, if I am getting a descent angle that is going to allow me to hold greens.

I was at like 40*, which I was ok with, now with 7 iron I keep seeing things in the 33-35*... and it is starting to worry me lol.

I need to get on a course badly, too much staring at numbers, and not enough seeing a ball hit a real green to make an accurate observation on what is happening.
I am the same. I have been to the range a lot, but I need to get to the course to see what is really happening. There is a huge difference between my course’s range balls and a Chrome Tour

The 3 hybrid made a few appearances in my 9 hole rva meeting yesterday. It seems to be me stay out of trouble club. I’ve used it off the tee just for an easy shot to find the fairway with good distance as well my “need a good recovery shot with plenty of distance“ club. Particularly yesterday after a pretty horrible slice into the rough off the tee it hacked it out to about 120 to allow a green light for the green to salvage the hole. For me it just feels easy and a very safe club to fall back on.

The more that I have been hitting these, on a sim mind you, I question if I am getting a descent angle that is going to allow me to hold greens.

yeah 33-35* with a 7i is lets just say pushing it. I would expect a decent amount of bounce and rollout. With a 6i or more you'd be looking at bouncing everything on to hold the green.

I know at my last fitting I was swinging a 7i around 70 mph...so 140 ish carries and the fitter wouldn't put me anything that didn't get at least 70' in apex and at least 40* descent angle. I watch AskGolfNut on Youtube and he will often do 90mph, 80 mph and 70 mph iron swings and most irons these days with the draw he plays, he says he wouldn't go past a 7i because at 70 mph that usually means around a 138-141 carry, around 3800-4100 spin and a 40* descent angle.
The only iron he has tested this year at 70 mph that he said he would consider playing the 6i was the Smoke HLs/Max Fast irons. And perhaps the 923 HM HL's (iirc).

Had a chance to measure and check my Smoke HL's. I always like to check my iron sets because, I have seen some wonkiness going on in my last couple of sets I have owned. Callaway did a pretty darn good job.

Lengths were all spot on standard specs. I like now that Callaway states the finished length vs length to end of the shaft. The butt cap on the grip can vary a bit so this takes the guesswork out. I like when they say a 7i measures 37.5" and that is what you get on the bench ruler.

Also the lofts were on spec too.

The only slight variance I found, was in the swing weight, but it was very minor (all were either on spec or within 1 pt).
They were all supposed to be D1 with the stock steel 85 shaft and I came up with:
6 - D1
7 - D1
8 - D0
9 - D0.5
AW - D0
PW - D1
SW - D1

So..,, I love the look at address they are a bit smaller than my Apex21, they have been a little tougher to get used but getting there. I’m thinking the Dart 90 F3 are not as good of fit as they were in the Apex. Might try a steel shaft to see if there’s a difference, the dart seem to be a little late at the tip area. The hybrid 5 is a wonderful experience, have not been a fan in the past. More range time and course time coming.View attachment 9255915
What were you seeing from the Darts that you felt weren't the best for you? I tried some Darts but they had more of a tendency to balloon on me when we were doing the fitting, I just couldn't control the height.

Just got a UPS notification that these will be delivered tomorrow. Hoping the rain holds off or I get a good enough break to to hit them before I leave town this weekend. When I talked to the rep he said that they should be done in about a week, but I didn't expect to see them this quick.
Did you get them in today? Looking forward to your thoughts on them!

This shot with the Ai Smoke HL 8 iron on a 138 yard par 3 today. Left a 3 footer for birdie. Standing on the tee box watching it, we both thought it was going in!

IMG_6222.JPG

Had a chance to measure and check my Smoke HL's. I always like to check my iron sets because, I have seen some wonkiness going on in my last couple of sets I have owned. Callaway did a pretty darn good job.

Lengths were all spot on standard specs. I like now that Callaway states the finished length vs length to end of the shaft. The butt cap on the grip can vary a bit so this takes the guesswork out. I like when they say a 7i measures 37.5" and that is what you get on the bench ruler.

The only slight variance I found, was in the swing weight, but it was very minor (all were either on spec or within 1 pt).
They were all supposed to be D1 with the stock steel 85 shaft and I came up with:
6 - D1
7 - D1
8 - D0
9 - D0.5
AW - D0
PW - D1
SW - D1
Good to see, those specs are all damn close! Are you going to have good enough weather to get them out soon?

This shot with the Ai Smoke HL 8 iron on a 138 yard par 3 today. Left a 3 footer for birdie. Standing on the tee box watching it, we both thought it was going in!

View attachment 9256110
Going pin hunting with the HL is so much fun. That’s a heck of a shot!

Good to see, those specs are all damn close! Are you going to have good enough weather to get them out soon?
Doubtful and also got some work things going on. Usually most of my rounds are during the week (taking PTO to play). Could be a while. Friday might be a flier if the weather cooperates.

6 - D1
7 - D1
8 - D0
9 - D0.5
AW - D0
PW - D1
SW - D1
Need to fix that with a little lead tape…
I like my shorter clubs a bit heavier SW, 9-GW around D2-3

6 - D1
7 - D1
8 - D0
9 - D0.5
AW - D0
PW - D1
SW - D1
So overall are seeing a higher ball than your previous irons? Any change in the sculpt of the shot overall?

Delivered today. Six days almost to the hour from ordering them. Took them out and checked them out before putting them in the bag. Work has grounded me for this evening but if it's possible I'll sneak a range session in tomorrow before I leave for the weekend.

The specs on these are pretty spot on from what I can measure. Length wise the 7I is dead on, and the others vary a little bit in-line with the length differences in the specs. 5-PW were all right at D4 with very little variance on my budget SW scale. AW was D5, which is a-ok with me. Of course I took pictures.

Here's a couple compared to my Black Apex 21s and my demo SMS. All 7 irons. Size compared to the Apex 21s are really close. So I'm hoping there won't be much transition period here for me other than relearning my distances.
IMG_0645.jpeg
IMG_0646.jpeg

All together and the required in the bag pic.
IMG_0644.jpeg
IMG_0647.jpeg

Can't wait to get these out on the course!

Delivered today. Six days almost to the hour from ordering them. Took them out and checked them out before putting them in the bag. Work has grounded me for this evening but if it's possible I'll sneak a range session in tomorrow before I leave for the weekend.

The specs on these are pretty spot on from what I can measure. Length wise the 7I is dead on, and the others vary a little bit in-line with the length differences in the specs. 5-PW were all right at D4 with very little variance on my budget SW scale. AW was D5, which is a-ok with me. Of course I took pictures.

Here's a couple compared to my Black Apex 21s and my demo SMS. All 7 irons. Size compared to the Apex 21s are really close. So I'm hoping there won't be much transition period here for me other than relearning my distances.
View attachment 9256131
View attachment 9256132

All together and the required in the bag pic.
View attachment 9256133
View attachment 9256134

Can't wait to get these out on the course!
Those look amazing! Let us know what you think

Back