Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Irons & Hybrids Review

I managed to convince the family to go to Top Golf after Easter mass. I took my 7i & 9i and here are my thoughts.

Looks - These are different at address than my JPX 921 Forged set. I’m not one to get caught up on topline or offset (unless it’s severe) and the Smoke irons look good at address. Immediately I know they weren’t what the 921’s present at address but I don’t get GI vibes either. The top line presented what seemed like a compact offering

Feel/Sound - this was going to be my biggest concern. If I’m being honest the only hesitation moving on from the 921’s would be the feel and sound. We’ve all heard that “Mizuno irons feel so good” and they do. This was a big ask of the Smoke irons to meet, but they did. I was hitting the balls from Top Golf so I fully expected a harsher experience than my normal gamer ball would offer. I was really shocked/surprised with what I saw. Sound was not “clicky” at all and the impact was not firm or off putting. The word I can use is dense. I won’t go to saying felt as soft/good as the Mizuno’s but they are not far off being a hollow body construction. I fully expected a harsh or less soft feel at impact and I didn’t. Honestly I’m shocked at what I felt/heard at impact

Distance - this one I’m going to put aside until I get on real grass with my gamer golf balls or range balls. I saw some things that were flat out silly from the 7i and if that happened with the limited flight balls at Top Golf I’m encouraged to get real data from playing/practicing outside

Here are the 7i results

View attachment 9253027

I’m happy I made the move because I was thinking I messed up leaving the 921’s bc I’ve been used to known only the feel and sound. But the performance. Hopefully I can get out this week for more feedback

I had my first range session with the Smoke irons. Transitioning from the Mizuno JPX 921 Forged, there is a lot to live up to from a looks and feel standpoint. Performance wise the 921’s offered plenty of distance and surprisingly decent forgiveness away from center. The 921’s have been in the bag for about 2 yrs now so I’m pretty dialed in with the distances & overall performance.

Today I wanted to see what my distances were through the bag, and more importantly focus on the feel. Here are some thoughts & for those following along, my set up is 5-AW | UST Mamiya Dart 105 F4 1*⬆️

Feel/Sound - This would be the area where I would be the most critical. I’ve been used to the Mizuno feel and while I was prepared to give the Smoke a break bc I was hitting range balls, I wasn’t ready for what I was feeling/hearing. Now YMMV but for me the “click” I was expecting to hear from a hollow body design wasn’t there. Especially with firmer range balls that I was hitting. I’m not saying the click wasn’t there, but it was way more muted than I expected. Even hits away from center didn’t give a negative experience to my ears or hands.

Performance- I had flags today at 82/122/156/173/193/228/256

The 82 flag was just warm up/target practice for my wedges. I took the AW and I was covering it easily and able to run a fee lower and check up.

The 122 flag was my AW and PW swings. My old clubs this would be my Pw all day and my GW I could stretch to get there but I rather swing easy. The Smoke AW was covering this number easy and that is basically a 1/2 or full club longer than my old set. The PW was covering that with more carry and with a nice ball flight. I made some mental notes here for sure

The 156/173 flags got the 6i-9i treatment. My 9i or 8i won’t get 150 but there was a little mound between the 122 and 156 flag where these were landing. Again the ball was jumping off the face, feeling pretty soft at impact. If I had to guess the 9i was hitting the 135ish range and rolling out . The 8i on a couple of good swings hit the 156 landing area and that is big for me. I moved onto the 6 and 7 irons and really wanted to see how my dispersion looks. I’m very comfortable with the 7 and with the 6 it becomes a little more of a challenge at times. The 7i was consistently covering the 156 flag and on a couple of swings it flew past it. The 6i was covering the 156 easy and I was routinely seeing the balls covering or landing close to the 173 flag. I think I can get more out of my 6i, but the 7i was just launching the balls and I was shocked how easily they were carrying the 156 flag. Results from the 7i
View attachment 9254555

The 5i and me have a delicate dance we maneuver. At times it’s the best club for me and sometimes it’s petulant child who won’t go to bed until they get a cookie. This club is rarely a full swing club but when it is I need at least 180 out of it. Today it could be honeymoon but I liked the results. Poor swings were landing at the 173 flag and good swings were carrying that easily and rolling up to the 193 flag. I did tee it up and loved the ball flight I saw with the distance landing where I expected. Overall I had no complaints from the long irons.

Through the bag I’m comfortable saying I was seeing 1/2 to a full club longer than my 921’s. The biggest surprise today was the feel at impact. It was soft and dense and not what I expected a hollow body to produce. I really want to get these out in the course with my gamer golf ball to get a good idea of what my yardages are. I suspect the carry will increase over the range balls so I’m anticipating a new carry distance.
So I wanted to take time and digest what I experienced on the course with these irons. The two above quoted posts I still stand by. The performance and feel of these irons are impressive. They check the looks department but I’m pausing a bit because some turf interaction I experienced this past weekend is bugging me. Coming from the 921 Forged the soles “cut” through the turf through impact and with these I got a lot of a the club wanting to stop through impact and really found myself having to work moving it through. I did experience some of this on my range session here locally but I chalked it up to “range conditions” and set that thought aside.

The courses I played in AZ this weekend were pristine and gave me great lies to judge the sole/turf interaction. Now let me say the positive thoughts of feel and performance were there. The only issue I had was that decent to great shots were not as frequent as I wanted or needed. I will be the first to admit I’m a mediocre iron player at best, but the results after round one left me scratching my head a bit. So much that I asked @echico to hit my 7i on the range and give me his thoughts. He provided the similar feedback to what I was experiencing. He felt the club just wanted to stop at impact and you had to work a bit to get it though. Thinking back the good to great shots i hit this weekend, those swings were a result of me “picking” the ball through impact and trying to take minimal divots. I just thought to myself “swing like you’re in a fairway bunker” and the results were there but I know that’s not sustainable long term. I hit an all world fairway bunker shot that @BigMac witnessed and it flew every bit of 180.

I’m not giving up yet and I want to play these irons here at home on courses I know to get more feedback, but I wanted to give an honest assessment, good and bad, based on my experiences so far. I am not sure if these irons are the best fit for me based on how I deliver the club to the ball, but I’m not giving up yet bc the shaft and head combo gives me some amazing results when I catch these at or near center.

...I just thought to myself “swing like you’re in a fairway bunker” and the results were there but I know that’s not sustainable long term. I hit an all world fairway bunker shot that @BigMac witnessed and it flew every bit of 180...
You absolutely smoked that bunker shot, it was so cool to watch and hear!

So I wanted to take time and digest what I experienced on the course with these irons. The two above quoted posts I still stand by. The performance and feel of these irons are impressive. They check the looks department but I’m pausing a bit because some turf interaction I experienced this past weekend is bugging me. Coming from the 921 Forged the soles “cut” through the turf through impact and with these I got a lot of a the club wanting to stop through impact and really found myself having to work moving it through. I did experience some of this on my range session here locally but I chalked it up to “range conditions” and set that thought aside.

The courses I played in AZ this weekend were pristine and gave me great lies to judge the sole/turf interaction. Now let me say the positive thoughts of feel and performance were there. The only issue I had was that decent to great shots were not as frequent as I wanted or needed. I will be the first to admit I’m a mediocre iron player at best, but the results after round one left me scratching my head a bit. So much that I asked @echico to hit my 7i on the range and give me his thoughts. He provided the similar feedback to what I was experiencing. He felt the club just wanted to stop at impact and you had to work a bit to get it though. Thinking back the good to great shots i hit this weekend, those swings were a result of me “picking” the ball through impact and trying to take minimal divots. I just thought to myself “swing like you’re in a fairway bunker” and the results were there but I know that’s not sustainable long term. I hit an all world fairway bunker shot that @BigMac witnessed and it flew every bit of 180.

I’m not giving up yet and I want to play these irons here at home on courses I know to get more feedback, but I wanted to give an honest assessment, good and bad, based on my experiences so far. I am not sure if these irons are the best fit for me based on how I deliver the club to the ball, but I’m not giving up yet bc the shaft and head combo gives me some amazing results when I catch these at or near center.
Fantastic review Mike. Well thought out! The “picking” of the ball I get. I found I can take normal divots but I really do have to focus on the ball first contact. Did you try adjusting your setup position with the ball to encourage the strikes that worked better with your normal swing?

Fantastic review Mike. Well thought out! The “picking” of the ball I get. I found I can take normal divots but I really do have to focus on the ball first contact. Did you try adjusting your setup position with the ball to encourage the strikes that worked better with your normal swing?
During the rounds I just played every shot pretty much middle of the stance and didn't want to "grind too much" as I was on vacation and wanted to enjoy the round as much as I could.

On the range I moved the ball a little forward and back. I really didn't see the differences and a little more forward allowed me to "pick" the ball cleaner than moving it back in my stance. Like I said, irons are the weakest part of my game, but I know enough about my swing where I can provide some decent feedback where turf interaction is concerned. I have not played a lot of golf so far and that is why I am pausing a bit and want to give these a few rounds at home to see if I can settle in before deciding on next steps.

One of the things really overlooked about these irons is the price point. I know we don’t always discuss price points, but $1000 for a set of irons as good as these is amazing.

A lot is said about the ai face on the drivers, but I am seeing similar things with the irons. My big miss is on the toe; I can tell I miss it out there but the results are better than I deserve. Really enjoying this set of clubs.

I really really want to play my Apex Pro/CB combo irons. They look so amazing, and feel great. And every time I pass by the 11 iron in my backup bag I want to hit it.

But these AI Smoke irons have not left my bag since they arrived. They are just that good

Struggled with the irons today. I'm sure it was just me so I'll be hitting the range to work on them before my round this weekend. When I connect I'm seeing great distance but not the consistency I'm expecting yet.

My Ai Smoke 5H has been doing a lot of double duty lately. In addition to being a great club off the tee or off the deck, it's also a really useful option for "chutting" when I'm too far off the green to use a putter. Grip down, stand tall and use a simple putting stroke, it's almost 100% chunk-proof. I've come close to holing a few, and left a lot of them in easy tap-in range. My regular buddies I golf with are pretty fascinated by it. :LOL:
I absolutely need to try this out with my 5H…

Sometimes this 3 Hybrid is just silly.

1000013730.png

They also look great in the bag. I wasn't sold on the badging when these first came out but in hand it looks sharp. I'd have zero issues recommending these irons to anyone. I think they could fit a ton of different skill levels while still being aesthetically pleasing.
Yep, the badging really pops. I’ve had more comments on how these look in the bag than I can count.

I absolutely need to try this out with my 5H…
It's a highly underrated shot, so simple and so effective. Virtually zero chance of chunking or skulling it. You do need to practice it a bit to get the feel though, the ball comes off the face a lot hotter than it does off your putter!

Hey @oumagic were you playing One Length irons prior to getting your Smoke irons?

If so, how has the transition been to standard length irons? Have there been any struggles, or did it go fairly easy?

Struggled with the irons today. I'm sure it was just me so I'll be hitting the range to work on them before my round this weekend. When I connect I'm seeing great distance but not the consistency I'm expecting yet.
Feedback Come Here GIF by Habitat

Something's out of sync. Going to head to the range tonight to work on it. I'll be taking my old irons too for some comparison.

Something's out of sync. Going to head to the range tonight to work on it. I'll be taking my old irons too for some comparison.
I'm curious how you do. You are describing exactly what I was experiencing. I am not giving up yet, but the doubt has creeped in for sure.

I'm curious how you do. You are describing exactly what I was experiencing. I am not giving up yet, but the doubt has creeped in for sure.
My biggest doubt after yesterday is the shafts at this point. I was off yesterday and my last round. I'm sure it's me but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't knocking around in the back of my mind. I know the potential is there. I hit some good shots with them when I do connect. It just hasn't clicked yet, which usually only takes a round or two for me.

My biggest doubt after yesterday is the shafts at this point. I was off yesterday and my last round. I'm sure it's me but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't knocking around in the back of my mind. I know the potential is there. I hit some good shots with them when I do connect. It just hasn't clicked yet, which usually only takes a round or two for me.
Got it. My issues are with the turf interaction. I love the shafts (DART Recoil 105) and they have stopped me from the ugly pull hook with a lazy or quick swing. Now I feel the head through the swing, but at impact if I am not picking it or close to taking no divot, the club just wants to stop and not keep going. It could very well be how I deliver the club at impact and need something that cuts through better, but I need more time before going down that road.

Got it. My issues are with the turf interaction. I love the shafts (DART Recoil 105) and they have stopped me from the ugly pull hook with a lazy or quick swing. Now I feel the head through the swing, but at impact if I am not picking it or close to taking no divot, the club just wants to stop and not keep going. It could very well be how I deliver the club at impact and need something that cuts through better, but I need more time before going down that road.
To be honest, my contact was so poor yesterday I couldn't tell you about turf interaction. I will say my best shots have been picked, but that's not normal for me. I usually take divots. Decent sized ones with my wedges and smaller ones with my irons. More to come for sure.

Hey @oumagic were you playing One Length irons prior to getting your Smoke irons?

If so, how has the transition been to standard length irons? Have there been any struggles, or did it go fairly easy?
I have switched from one length to standard length a few times now. The transition isn’t that difficult. I struggle the first few rounds when I switch back and forth, but I think that happens when you just play new clubs regardless of length. I just have a better excuse than most when I struggle those first few rounds 😂

The smoke irons are performing fantastic now and I have no regrets. I sold my one length irons to a friend.

To be honest, my contact was so poor yesterday I couldn't tell you about turf interaction. I will say my best shots have been picked, but that's not normal for me. I usually take divots. Decent sized ones with my wedges and smaller ones with my irons. More to come for sure.
Got some range time with both sets, mostly worked with 7I. Got to the point where I was making good contact with the Apex but my timing or something is still off with the Smoke. I was pretty gassed by the end though so going to keep at it.

At league last night we started on the back. 10th hole, Par 3 at about 208 yards. Super tough green to hit and stick and of course the AI Smoke 3 Hybrid landed about 8 yards short and tricked on the front edge. I'll take that 10 out of 10 times on that hole. The hybrid is so forgiving and feels so good with the turf interaction.

The only problem it's posing for me is the spot in my bag where I currently have a Apex UW 21degree. I love my Apex UW, it's been a go to club for me for the last couple years. But now I'm tempted to switch to maybe a 7HL and in the AI Smoke Hybrid instead. It could help replace the 5 iron I rarely play and might fit the bag a little bit better.

Anyone ever replace a UW with one of these hybrids and not miss the UW at all?

Got some range time with both sets, mostly worked with 7I. Got to the point where I was making good contact with the Apex but my timing or something is still off with the Smoke. I was pretty gassed by the end though so going to keep at it.
It's because the Smoke 7I is .5" longer... 🤦‍♂️

So, I have played one round since getting the HL irons and a couple of charity scrambles. The first round was a disaster to put it lightly. I struggled mightily with the irons. For some reason, my swing went to absolute garbage. Lots of thinning, tops and pulls. By the end of the front nine I was all in my head and couldn't swing any club as a result of just trying to get through the round. Better results in the scrambles but still not hitting the clubs well on the course.

Range sessions with some videos have pointed to some serious swing flaws, some of which has been corrected. Results on the range are improving and when I hit a good shot, it is really good. OK shots are still good, I just need to avoid the straight up shanks. I think dropping 40 grams on shaft weight is taking longer to acclimate to than I anticipated. Anyone else have any experience moving to the cypher fifty shafts from a shaft in the 90-95g range?

As for the clubs themselves, through half a dozen range sessions and twice that in the garage set up, I have been pleased with a few things. The clubs really look good to my eye behind the ball. The shiny chrome seems to hold up well without excessive scuffing and scratching. I do like the sound and feel on a center strike and can tell when I'm off the toe or heel. I am getting about 500-700 additional RPM in spin up and down the set, and launch angle is generally much better than my old set, which is what I wanted. My GIR is not much better but that is a me problem and not a club problem. On the SIM driving range, after getting the swing dialed in, I have found these to be very consistent in result with right to left dispersion and distance. I just need to figure out how to get the garage swing on the course.

This and the Super Hybrid allowed me to re-find my swing. I don't have to work hard to hit this hybrid well.

Got some work with the AI Smoke 3 hybrid in. Still wild that my 3 hybrid has been doing like 245-250. That’s just borderline ridiculous. It seems I’ve started to get better control and play a small fade which when we fitted it was aligned just slightly to a draw because I naturally fade the ball. I may start working on a draw to see if I can develop a slight one naturally. I think that would be a welcomed addition to the arsenal.

Back