Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Irons & Hybrids Review

I had my first range session with the Smoke irons. Transitioning from the Mizuno JPX 921 Forged, there is a lot to live up to from a looks and feel standpoint. Performance wise the 921’s offered plenty of distance and surprisingly decent forgiveness away from center. The 921’s have been in the bag for about 2 yrs now so I’m pretty dialed in with the distances & overall performance.

Today I wanted to see what my distances were through the bag, and more importantly focus on the feel. Here are some thoughts & for those following along, my set up is 5-AW | UST Mamiya Dart 105 F4 1*⬆️

Feel/Sound - This would be the area where I would be the most critical. I’ve been used to the Mizuno feel and while I was prepared to give the Smoke a break bc I was hitting range balls, I wasn’t ready for what I was feeling/hearing. Now YMMV but for me the “click” I was expecting to hear from a hollow body design wasn’t there. Especially with firmer range balls that I was hitting. I’m not saying the click wasn’t there, but it was way more muted than I expected. Even hits away from center didn’t give a negative experience to my ears or hands.

Performance- I had flags today at 82/122/156/173/193/228/256

The 82 flag was just warm up/target practice for my wedges. I took the AW and I was covering it easily and able to run a fee lower and check up.

The 122 flag was my AW and PW swings. My old clubs this would be my Pw all day and my GW I could stretch to get there but I rather swing easy. The Smoke AW was covering this number easy and that is basically a 1/2 or full club longer than my old set. The PW was covering that with more carry and with a nice ball flight. I made some mental notes here for sure

The 156/173 flags got the 6i-9i treatment. My 9i or 8i won’t get 150 but there was a little mound between the 122 and 156 flag where these were landing. Again the ball was jumping off the face, feeling pretty soft at impact. If I had to guess the 9i was hitting the 135ish range and rolling out . The 8i on a couple of good swings hit the 156 landing area and that is big for me. I moved onto the 6 and 7 irons and really wanted to see how my dispersion looks. I’m very comfortable with the 7 and with the 6 it becomes a little more of a challenge at times. The 7i was consistently covering the 156 flag and on a couple of swings it flew past it. The 6i was covering the 156 easy and I was routinely seeing the balls covering or landing close to the 173 flag. I think I can get more out of my 6i, but the 7i was just launching the balls and I was shocked how easily they were carrying the 156 flag. Results from the 7i
View attachment 9254555

The 5i and me have a delicate dance we maneuver. At times it’s the best club for me and sometimes it’s petulant child who won’t go to bed until they get a cookie. This club is rarely a full swing club but when it is I need at least 180 out of it. Today it could be honeymoon but I liked the results. Poor swings were landing at the 173 flag and good swings were carrying that easily and rolling up to the 193 flag. I did tee it up and loved the ball flight I saw with the distance landing where I expected. Overall I had no complaints from the long irons.

Through the bag I’m comfortable saying I was seeing 1/2 to a full club longer than my 921’s. The biggest surprise today was the feel at impact. It was soft and dense and not what I expected a hollow body to produce. I really want to get these out in the course with my gamer golf ball to get a good idea of what my yardages are. I suspect the carry will increase over the range balls so I’m anticipating a new carry distance.
Sounds like a pretty good initial range session! Have to agree with you about the sound/feel. I hit these indoors, and switched them out between two different sets of mizunos, as well as some pings, titleist, etc. I was expecting that "harsher" cast/hollowbody feel and it just wasn't there. They weren't as dense feeling as the Pro 245s but they still felt great, and I feel like the sound is amplified a bit when you're hitting indoors. I was seeing a 1/2 to full club on my Apex 21s with the 7I on the monitor. If that carries to the course I'll have some adjusting to do, but that's a great problem to have.

Called my order in this afternoon. Due to some backorder issues I ended up with the Modus 120s. Rep said they should take about a week which is perfect. Can't wait to get these in hand.

EDIT: After trade in I'm only out a little over $400, which is crazy good. If you're on the fence about these and have trade-in clubs you're not going to get a much better deal than they've got going right now.

Great feedback! What do you think of the Dart 105 F4 ? Is that what you had in your Mizuno's? I am down to final shaft decision. I currently have Modus 105s with a 7i swing speed of 91-92mph. I can't find a 105x anywhere to test with the Callaway's, nor can i find a Dart 105 which have been recommended.
My Mizunos (and all my irons prior) were Recoil 95 F4’s. I’ve been a Recoil player for a long time so the move to the Dart 105’s have been easy. I like the Dart’s because at a slightly heavier weight they help me square/time the head better at impact than the 95’s did. My lazy swing can get quick and the 95’s didn’t help at all with dispersion and the few lazy or rushed swings with the 105’s have produced better results. Plus @DannyLe has seen me play and his recommendation were the 105’s so I’ll listen to the wizard and be happy
Sounds like a pretty good initial range session! Have to agree with you about the sound/feel. I hit these indoors, and switched them out between two different sets of mizunos, as well as some pings, titleist, etc. I was expecting that "harsher" cast/hollowbody feel and it just wasn't there. They weren't as dense feeling as the Pro 245s but they still felt great, and I feel like the sound is amplified a bit when you're hitting indoors. I was seeing a 1/2 to full club on my Apex 21s with the 7I on the monitor. If that carries to the course I'll have some adjusting to do, but that's a great problem to have.

Called my order in this afternoon. Due to some backorder issues I ended up with the Modus 120s. Rep said they should take about a week which is perfect. Can't wait to get these in hand.

EDIT: After trade in I'm only out a little over $400, which is crazy good. If you're on the fence about these and have trade-in clubs you're not going to get a much better deal than they've got going right now.
Yeah the feel/sound caught me off guard and pleasantly surprised me.

I moved off the Hot Metals because of the feel/sound so that gives you an idea of where I’m coming from. The 50% trade in helped make the move for sure

Last edited:
I've been in a real slump with my iron play (my crappy swing, not the equipment), and finally started striping them today. I don't have a lot of clubhead speed and have trouble getting a high trajectory to hold greens on approach shots, the Ai Smoke HL irons are a huge help - I was launching nice high iron shots today and finally starting to explore their distance potential. We had to deal with a little wind later in the round, and my iron shots were high enough without ballooning and dropping out of the sky.

The feel on well-struck shots is addictive. I didn't hate my Mavrik irons I was previously playing, but the HLs feel more "plush" (for lack of a better word) on impact. Feedback is good - you know immediately whether you hit the sweet spot or not. The AI Smart Face offers forgiveness when you miss the center, but you can definitely feel and hear the difference.

My Mizunos (and all my irons prior) were Recoil 95 F4’s. I’ve been a Recoil player for a long time so the move to the Dart 105’s have been easy. I like the Dart’s because at a slightly heavier weight they help me square/time the head better at impact than the 95’s did. My lazy swing can get quick and the 95’s didn’t help at all with dispersion and the few lazy or rushed swings with the 105’s have produced better results. Plus @DannyLe has seen me play and his recommendation were the 105’s so I’ll listen to the wizard and be happy

Yeah the feel/sound caught me off guard and pleasantly surprised me.

I moved off the Hot Metals because of the feel/sound so that gives you where I’m coming from. The 50% trade in helped make the move for sure
Official Ponder Mode:unsure:

Love the Recoil Dart 90s I have. My miss is left so I wonder if the 105s would help in that regard. So do you think you would be a 1/2 club better than the Hot Metals also?

Between my deceased brothers clubs and my own. With the 50% trade-in, I think it would be a wash, Including a couple of hybrids:)

I've been in a real slump with my iron play (my crappy swing, not the equipment), and finally started striping them today. I don't have a lot of clubhead speed and have trouble getting a high trajectory to hold greens on approach shots, the Ai Smoke HL irons are a huge help - I was launching nice high iron shots today and finally starting to explore their distance potential. We had to deal with a little wind later in the round, and my iron shots were high enough without ballooning and dropping out of the sky.

The feel on well-struck shots is addictive. I didn't hate my Mavrik irons I was previously playing, but the HLs feel more "plush" (for lack of a better word) on impact. Feedback is good - you know immediately whether you hit the sweet spot or not. The AI Smart Face offers forgiveness when you miss the center, but you can definitely feel and hear the difference.
What kind of flight differences are you seeing between these and the Mavs?

Official Ponder Mode:unsure:

Love the Recoil Dart 90s I have. My miss is left so I wonder if the 105s would help in that regard. So do you think you would be a 1/2 club better than the Hot Metals also?

Between my deceased brothers clubs and my own. With the 50% trade-in, I think it would be a wash, Including a couple of hybrids:)
Tough to say on the Hot Metals. I didn’t play them long enough and my 921 Forged were giving me 140-145ish 8i distances. The 7i I could push to 160 and the Smoke 7i today was routinely hitting 160 no problems and going further on center strikes. I think the extra weight the 105’s offer are helping me with dispersion if anything.

What kind of flight differences are you seeing between these and the Mavs?
Higher launch and peak height, and steeper descent angle with the HLs. The Mavs were lofted a couple degrees stronger, and the CG is also lower in the HLs.

Higher launch and peak height, and steeper descent angle with the HLs. The Mavs were lofted a couple degrees stronger, and the CG is also lower in the HLs.
I know you said you were struggling with a swing, but how's the distance comparing?

I know you said you were struggling with a swing, but how's the distance comparing?
They've been playing about 1/2 to 1 iron shorter for me, but as it's warming up and I'm striking them better the distance is pretty comparable.

I wasn't after "longer" irons, per se - I don't even care if I have to club up to hit my distances. What I was after was being able to get them in the air. The greens I mostly play are rock hard and not receptive, so unless you can bring a ball in pretty high you're not going to hold them, and the HLs do a lot better job of it than the Mavs did.

As a bonus (and something else I was trying to accomplish!), the decreased offset on the Smoke HLs (about half of what it was on the Mavriks) has also helped get rid of my pulls. The pull was my biggest miss with the Mavs, it's not a problem with the Smoke HLs unless I just put a bad swing on them.

They've been playing about 1/2 to 1 iron shorter for me, but as it's warming up and I'm striking them better the distance is pretty comparable.

I wasn't after "longer" irons, per se - I don't even care if I have to club up to hit my distances. What I was after was being able to get them in the air. The greens I mostly play are rock hard and not receptive, so unless you can bring a ball in pretty high you're not going to hold them, and the HLs do a lot better job of it than the Mavs did.

As a bonus (and something else I was trying to accomplish!), the decreased offset on the Smoke HLs (about half of what it was on the Mavriks) has also helped get rid of my pulls. The pull was my biggest miss with the Mavs, it's not a problem with the Smoke HLs unless I just put a bad swing on them.
Love this man!!

That offset, or lack of, really surprised the heck out of me with the HL and Smoke irons. I assumed there would be a lot more offset on the HL, and the difference between the two is actually pretty small.

So, something happened this morning, and it surprised the heck out of me.

I started lessons last week to address the path issues I was having (that were creating a big ugly hook), working on turn, and working on impact, but I will try not to have this devolve into a lesson post.

Trying to keep the lesson drills in mind, I went back this morning to hit balls on the GC3, and see if it had taken. PW, 8i, and the majority of 7 iron shots, more wanting to grab data, create better contact, and not worry so much about distance. Proper grip, keying on turn, and wanting to keep the ball straight-ish, this happened:

For Reference, Previous Personal Best 7 iron Numbers: (disclaimer, I am a slower swinger, and with my previous clubs 7 iron total I would hope for 150 yds)
Ball Speed: 106.7 mph
Carry: 154.7 yds
Total: 168.8 yds

April 24 Personal Bests?
Ball Speed: 113 mph
Carry: 160.8 yds
Total: 180.1 yds

I had 9 balls in the session with Ball speeds higher than the previous PB of 106.7 mph. The new PB of 113 mph was definitely an outlier, with the other PB balls being more of a 108-109 mph normal.

1 hr of instruction. Thats all I put into it. Working on turn 3 times this week at home, and the lesson.... and things jumped.

Really excited now, and encouraged, to keep up the work and see how I can keep improving. The best part of all this? That big hook was gone, with a more normalized/consistent ball flight coming back again!

That offset, or lack of, really surprised the heck out of me with the HL and Smoke irons. I assumed there would be a lot more offset on the HL, and the difference between the two is actually pretty small.
Yep, both heads look great at address.
I was looking at the HL’s but I was giving up distance with them compared to the regular Smoke. Launch both he same with the Tensei White 75.

The hybrid continues to be an absolute star for me. First Callaway hybrid in a couple of releases that is not only the longest I have tested, but might be the most forgiving. Danny took mine for a bit at Shaft Up and said “best Callaway hybrid ever”.

The hybrid continues to be an absolute star for me. First Callaway hybrid in a couple of releases that is not only the longest I have tested, but might be the most forgiving. Danny took mine for a bit at Shaft Up and said “best Callaway hybrid ever”.
That speaks volumes. It’s pretty cool how many legit options Callaway has across the board with long irons, UT, UW, and hybrids.

Definitely forgiving, and just wants to fly straight. I can swing it with confidence that I'm not going to hook it clear into the next state, unlike some other hybrids I've played in the past.

Definitely forgiving, and just wants to fly straight. I can swing it with confidence that I'm not going to hook it clear into the next state, unlike some other hybrids I've played in the past.
This is me too. I can hit it as my 205 club. But I can also hit it 185 if I want that nice high ball flight. It’s really versatile as a hybrid for me

The irons…. Oh my, I feel like I forgot the performance of these things. I have well, let’s be charitable and call it “an inconsistent swing”. These irons just keep grinding and performing regardless of the swing I put on them.

Consider - the PW. My usual pitching wedge distance is 100-110. What I wanted from Smoke irons is consistent 115-120 distance. Great gapping with the other wedges and my 9i.

Here’s what I’m seeing…

IMG_9286.jpeg

Solid 115 into a green after a good drive. A GIR and look at birdie which I couldn’t quite get to drop and settled for a par

IMG_9284.jpeg

Another great shot - this one actually went a few yards too long and left me a tricky downhill putt that I left a bit short being nervous of the slope. Still , a solid par.

These irons are special for me. I know I can control them and get the distances I need to get birdie looks and hold the green!

I'm setting similar things to @Bryndom. The Ai Smoke irons are proving to be quite the perfect iron for me. I have been taking lessons. Even in that short time, my coach has really helped me improve my contact. Im getting higher ball flight and gaining control of my path & face. As a result, im seeing Chrome Tour golf balls do things that blow my mind.

Yesterday on 18. slight breeze at our backs. I ripped a drive that was so close to perfection. I just left the face open, instead of "wiping the table" to create the draw. So I took a drop on a level stop on the line. My GPS told me it was 150 to the back. about a 145 pin. I pulled my 9i. Shotscope has that as my 143 total club. So with the breeze I thought I could carry bunker.

Well.....I hit probably the best 9i of my life. Massive high launch ball that hand maybe 1 yard of draw. tracking directly at the flag. It completely flew the green, just catching the back slope and into the water. So I'm left with well. my score is bad. but my goodness....how is it possible that I can hit a 155 carry 9i with correct apex!

Ai Smoke Irons. Give them a try!!

1712592618418.png

Have an appointment tomorrow for a "Callaway Performance Fitter". Holding out hope to try these with the Modus 105x or the Dart 105 F4, so far no go at Golf Galaxy, PGASS or even the local fitters. to be honest though, the modus 105s i have now are smooth so may just stay. Liked the idea of something a little heavier and a little stiffer though. I tried the 120x but didn't like the 120 profile. Also not a fan of the 105 s300 or 120 s300. Will see how it goes and what they have to try. I know i'm not a fan of the elevate or much of the KBS stuff.

I'm setting similar things to @Bryndom. The Ai Smoke irons are proving to be quite the perfect iron for me. I have been taking lessons. Even in that short time, my coach has really helped me improve my contact. Im getting higher ball flight and gaining control of my path & face. As a result, im seeing Chrome Tour golf balls do things that blow my mind.

Yesterday on 18. slight breeze at our backs. I ripped a drive that was so close to perfection. I just left the face open, instead of "wiping the table" to create the draw. So I took a drop on a level stop on the line. My GPS told me it was 150 to the back. about a 145 pin. I pulled my 9i. Shotscope has that as my 143 total club. So with the breeze I thought I could carry bunker.

Well.....I hit probably the best 9i of my life. Massive high launch ball that hand maybe 1 yard of draw. tracking directly at the flag. It completely flew the green, just catching the back slope and into the water. So I'm left with well. my score is bad. but my goodness....how is it possible that I can hit a 155 carry 9i with correct apex!

Ai Smoke Irons. Give them a try!!

View attachment 9255271
Definitely a lot of confidence in your swings there as you weren’t shy getting after it with the water very much in play.

IMG_9981.jpeg

Those irons don’t say ping
True... at the end of the season will be more telling as some form of Ping 'G' iron always creeps back into the bag :)

Back