Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers

When I go after it my attack angle gets steeper resulting in a much lower ball flight and sometimes a hard left hook. When my tempo is consistent my launch angle and control is impressive though I can't help but believe I'm losing some yardage. However, I'm 62 now, and still struggling with the yardage I'm losing - haha@!
That is exactly what is going on with me.
Initially I was seeing good flight and good distance with my Smoke Max (a fade, but not crazy distance).
The more I got going after it, it went from a fade so a slight hook, and now a massive hook.
I just can't get it dialed back properly right now with a bunch of other changes that are going on.

For me it is all path and face, and am working on getting that fixed to try and even things out and get playable reliable shots again.

@Briton G have you or when you going to get some swings in with the flat COG installed?
It is at the shop right now along with some other things I am having worked on... they told me it would be a couple of days before its done. Hoping they get it done early next week.

Having demoed the Smoke TD 9* last week (see about 5 pages back) and with not great results compared to my Paradym 10.5 I managed to get a hit with the Smoke Max 10.5 and the stock Tensei AV Blue 65 S shaft. Pretty much a direct upgrade in the head from my Paradym. Set standard and draw on the hosel to replicate.

This was a much better experience, sounded great and definitely a higher average distance over the shots by a few yards. I'd also like to say dispersion was better but I'm still prone to a miss out to he right so I'll need more work with it. I'm liking the Tensei as well despite it having a standard grip vs my midsize +4 - will do a more scientific comparison with my Kai'li White 60s next time I get chance.

Still not sure if it a comprehensive improvement but enough to keep the investigation going.
I'd be curious to see how those toe misses compare with the Paradym.

I'd be curious to see how those toe misses compare with the Paradym.
I probably don't have enough data yet to give any kind of even qualitative feel for it - but I'll go with not quite as bad. If I can get a few more hits then I can compare top tracer data and give you some more feedback. I have to say that not all of those are toe hits - I'm getting some of those from an out-to-in swing path as well.

It won't scientific though as I'm improving my swing at the moment on the driver as I work on making it more in-to-out and there will be improvement there if I used either the Paradym or Smoke.

I probably don't have enough data yet to give any kind of even qualitative feel for it - but I'll go with not quite as bad. If I can get a few more hits then I can compare top tracer data and give you some more feedback. I have to say that not all of those are toe hits - I'm getting some of those from an out-to-in swing path as well.

It won't scientific though as I'm improving my swing at the moment on the driver as I work on making it more in-to-out and there will be improvement there if I used either the Paradym or Smoke.
I went from the Paradym TD to the Smoke TD and have seen an improvement in the forgiveness across the face and an overall tightening up of my dispersion, which has been impressive for me since I though the Paradym was forgiving already.

That is exactly what is going on with me.
Initially I was seeing good flight and good distance with my Smoke Max (a fade, but not crazy distance).
The more I got going after it, it went from a fade so a slight hook, and now a massive hook.
I just can't get it dialed back properly right now with a bunch of other changes that are going on.

For me it is all path and face, and am working on getting that fixed to try and even things out and get playable reliable shots again.
Well I know that when I attempt to apply more speed the odds of bad things happening increase. My low hooks are definitely self inflicted. I'm a tempo guy and when I get out of rhythm bad things happen with my ball flight. When my tempo is consistent this club, as others in my bag, are magical!

I can’t wait to hit this combo when I get home! Ai Smoke Max paired with UST Mamiya M40X Blue.
IMG_2998.jpeg

It is at the shop right now along with some other things I am having worked on... they told me it would be a couple of days before its done. Hoping they get it done early next week.
Couple days??? Seems like a long time to just swap out a COG.

Very interested to hear your thoughts when you get it back. I'm super happy to have got one installed on mine.

Couple days??? Seems like a long time to just swap out a COG.

Very interested to hear your thoughts when you get it back. I'm super happy to have got one installed on mine.
The problem was I gave them a lot of other things to work on also haha

Can I just say, the increased launch I'm seeing with the Max has been amazing for my game and for my confidence with the club. I've said it before but I was playing with the Paradym X 10.5 lofted up to 12.5 last year and still had trouble with launch at times. But when hit properly, it did exactly what I wanted but I know I lost a little distance with the increase in spin. It was a trade I was willing to make though.

This year however, I'm able to stay lofted at 10.5 and the ball is getting up just as high and I'm seeing an increase in distance as well. I've had more drives over 300 so far in the past four rounds than I think I saw most of last year with the X. X has the biggest drive still, but I don't see that being the case for long! Along with that distance gain, I've been more accurate as well. FIRs haven't really gone up for me stats wise, but the misses that I'm seeing aren't as far off the fairway as they were last year so I've been in way less trouble.

It's only four rounds, but seeing all of this is going to be a catalyst for my confidence off the tee moving forward. I couldn't be more excited!

Last edited:
You're going to use it!!! YESSSS
At least the driver shaft!!! The other will remain pure!!! Built it last night and will be waiting for me when I get back from vacation. 😂

At least the driver shaft!!! The other will remain pure!!! Built it last night and will be waiting for me when I get back from vacation. 😂
I was going to "fire" reaction your post until your damn vacation wording. What is this, number six already?

I was going to "fire" reaction your post until your damn vacation wording. What is this, number six already?
I have a better fairway in regulation % over vacations right now. 72% on the year vs 5 vacations. But is it consider a vacation if you don’t leave the state? I know it’s not a FIR if I’m just off in the 2nd cut. 😂 had to keep the comment somewhat Ai Smoke related.

I have loft currently at 11.5°, which is up from where I was with Paradym. I’m seeing the height I want and the spin sits in a great window. Neither too low or too high. Very stable. Unless of course I really hook it or leave the face wide open.

I still love the triple diamond. It just goes sky high and dead straight. A few from today, but they’re all the same.

IMG_0690.pngIMG_0691.png

Holy. Hell. I put a LinQ White in my Max tonight for fun. It seemed to unlock the thing even more than already. Four drives over 300. And a beautiful draw every time. No hooks.

One faded too much, but that was the opening tee shot and I was getting a feel for it. After that it was go zone every time. I keep getting surprised by this club every time I use it. Let’s freaking go

Holy. Hell. I put a LinQ White in my Max tonight for fun. It seemed to unlock the thing even more than already. Four drives over 300. And a beautiful draw every time. No hooks.

One faded too much, but that was the opening tee shot and I was getting a feel for it. After that it was go zone every time. I keep getting surprised by this club every time I use it. Let’s freaking go
Freaking bombs! How did the launch compare to the Lin-Q Red?

Freaking bombs! How did the launch compare to the Lin-Q Red?
I lofted up to +1 since the profile is different and it was perfect. Same as the red, at that point so it would have launched a little lower if I hadn’t done it. I felt like I timed it up a bit better. I’m really hoping it wasn’t a one a done kind of performance. I’ll know more tomorrow after playing a full 18

Best drive of the night though. Was unreal
IMG_9729.png

This thing went out for its maiden voyage today.

I will preface this by saying it was my second time swinging a golf club this year and it was WINDY.

I had some really nice shots, and some not so good shots.

Hit 43% of FIR but had some absolute bombs, and a couple that finished just off the fairway.

I cannot wait to build some more confidence with this guy throughout the spring and summer.

IMG_7306.jpg
IMG_7308.jpg
IMG_7309.jpg

Dude you are a monster! Feel more stable for you or just allowing you to tee up hitting the Ai Smoke on the sweet spot?

Dude you are a monster! Feel more stable for you or just allowing you to tee up hitting the Ai Smoke on the sweet spot?
I kind of did it after something that was said in the Mitsubishi thread. Bit stiffer of a shaft is used to keep it from going left (right for me) and I thought I’d give it a shot. It’s been eye opening. A draw has turned in to a stock shot for me now and in 27 holes, I’ve only pulled/hooked two. It’s opening up my swing for me without getting worried. I’m going to add this to the LinQ thread, but the driver has been totally unlocked!

Back