Bridgestone Golf MINDSET Visual Technology

Interesting round with/without the Mindset ball yesterday. Really wet conditions, cart path only, and my intention was to play some holes with the Mindset ball and some without. First tee, downhill par-4 with a hazard at driver distance, hit my 5-wood off the tee, using the Mindset ball, hit a nice shot right down the middle of the fairway, landing right by the 150 yd barber pole. I'd rate that shot an 8 or 9 on a 10 scale for results to how I had visualized it (I saw it going a bit further), and when I walked out to the fairway I almost didn't find it. That ball had plugged deep enough that I walked right by it a couple of times before I finally found it.

So a change of plan, let's see how well I can stick to the Mindset concept without the ball today, It's just too soon to be losing a bunch of them. I have to say, I did better than I thought I would, probably more because I was very conscious of sticking to the process than having it really ingrained yet, but the day did go well. I had several shots throughout the round where I caught myself skipping step-2, mostly from the fairway, and when I did I'd just reset behind the ball and start over. I'm sure I had some shots where I didn't catch myself skipping the process, but I feel like I might actually be getting closer than expected to it being routine.

The results are still very positive, those times when I caught myself skipping the process and went into a reset were some of my best shots of the day (a good indication that there were other times that I didn't catch myself skipping something). Off the tee it is almost automatic for me though, and when using a different ball I just put it logo up on the tee and focus on the ball's number. Putting was pretty frustrating yesterday. I'm happy with my modified process on the greens, and stick to it pretty well (just not focusing on the green dot) but the greens were abnormally slow, and I had a terrible putting day, which had nothing to do with the Mindset concept.

I might get out again today or tomorrow, so will see if conditions improve enough to use the ball more.

Enjoyed a split "round" of 12 holes last night, dodging storms as they rolled through western Oklahoma. I got in 3 holes with a couple buddies before the first system rolled through, watched it from the patio, and then back on a sloppy wet course for 9 holes of 2-man scramble before the next system rolled in.

I think it would be fair to say that I'm completely bought in to the Mindset concept by this point. I would tell you that at this point I am no longer having to make myself walk through my 3-step process before each shot, but seeing it become second nature. The guys I play with the majority of the time are taking notice and showing a high level of interest. I'm far from a great golfer, so the positive direction this process is nudging my game is very apparent to those around me.

Perhaps the most weighted comment came from my wife as she rode with me last night (for the first time in 2024): "I am blown away by the blatant change in your mindset. I understand you will never be as good as you want to be, but the changes I see in your mental game is blowing me away. You are hitting some great shots, but the most impressive thing to me is that you have yet to allow a bad shot to affect the next shot. You are thinking through each current shot and don't appear have held on to any prior shot. I like this version of golfer-you much better!"

Sometimes Most of the time, it's easy to convince myself that the progress I think I'm experiencing is just in my head. When others around me begin to take notice, I know it's real.

I am all-in on Mindset.

Enjoyed a split "round" of 12 holes last night, dodging storms as they rolled through western Oklahoma. I got in 3 holes with a couple buddies before the first system rolled through, watched it from the patio, and then back on a sloppy wet course for 9 holes of 2-man scramble before the next system rolled in.

I think it would be fair to say that I'm completely bought in to the Mindset concept by this point. I would tell you that at this point I am no longer having to make myself walk through my 3-step process before each shot, but seeing it become second nature. The guys I play with the majority of the time are taking notice and showing a high level of interest. I'm far from a great golfer, so the positive direction this process is nudging my game is very apparent to those around me.

Perhaps the most weighted comment came from my wife as she rode with me last night (for the first time in 2024): "I am blown away by the blatant change in your mindset. I understand you will never be as good as you want to be, but the changes I see in your mental game is blowing me away. You are hitting some great shots, but the most impressive thing to me is that you have yet to allow a bad shot to affect the next shot. You are thinking through each current shot and don't appear have held on to any prior shot. I like this version of golfer-you much better!"

Sometimes Most of the time, it's easy to convince myself that the progress I think I'm experiencing is just in my head. When others around me begin to take notice, I know it's real.

I am all-in on Mindset.

Have you and your wife discussed this MindSet philosophy, or was this something she noticed on her own?

This is a really cool story to say the least!

Have you and your wife discussed this MindSet philosophy, or was this something she noticed on her own?

This is a really cool story to say the least!
We've discussed it at length throughout this process.

I hate admitting this, but it speaks to the efficacy of the process in regards to my game so I will be honest: a major part of my diagnoses affects emotional regulation and hyperfixating. These struggles don't pair very well with golf sometimes. For me to be able to play a round in such a way that my wife is blown away by the lack of some form of meltdown or getting "stuck" on technical thought, well that speaks more than any words I could ever use to describe what this is doing for me.

***In my head, I'm being clear and this makes sense. If that isn't the case and you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am so encouraged by this and hope others can benefit as well.

We've discussed it at length throughout this process.

I hate admitting this, but it speaks to the efficacy of the process in regards to my game so I will be honest: a major part of my diagnoses affects emotional regulation and hyperfixating. These struggles don't pair very well with golf sometimes. For me to be able to play a round in such a way that my wife is blown away by the lack of some form of meltdown or getting "stuck" on technical thought, well that speaks more than any words I could ever use to describe what this is doing for me.

***In my head, I'm being clear and this makes sense. If that isn't the case and you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am so encouraged by this and hope others can benefit as well.

My 10 year old struggles with the same thing. Your story has helped me realize many things and were trying the MindSet with him on a permanent basis. Change is hard for him, but he’s embracing the process slowly but surely.

Thank you for sharing your story with all sincerity.

Another round in the books today, and was able to use the Mindset ball a bit more this time. It was hard to tell how much benefit I was seeing from the mindset ball and process though, cold windy day, still wet with cart path only, and they are just starting to be able mow again, so the fairways and rough are both unusually long. Add to that my swing being even more inconsistent than usual, and you can see how it was a difficult day to judge something like this.

I am getting the Mindset process to be almost automatic though, with or without the Mindset ball. I still catch myself skipping over parts of it from the fairway and/or rough, but I am catching that, so able to back off and reset when it happens.

Here are some more pics.

A good lie for a 56* wedge to the green (lift-clean-and place):

r20240403_154540.jpg

Pitching Wedge to this short par-3:

r20240403_154540.jpg

20240403_160639.jpg

.... oh yeah, forgot to mention that they've just punched the greens. They do what they call a micro-punch though, very small diameter tines, so not really that bad:

r20240403_154943.jpg

Cold, windy, and wet, it was still a beautiful day to be out golfing. Second shot to the par-5 16th:

20240403_155743.jpg

Taking the Bridgestone MindSet Tour BX golf balls to Perdido Bay golf course today. Should be fun!

Taking the Bridgestone MindSet Tour BX golf balls to Perdido Bay golf course today. Should be fun!
don't blow or float away!

Update. Still enjoying this golf ball. I haven't had a chance to play a round with it yet, but I love the ball alone based on its performance on the greens. I can visualize my line so much easier with this ball.

Played 18 holes today with MindSet at 5200 yds and nothing longer than a 7i. Shot an 85. I was pretty impressed with that score. Had a couple of shots, I wish I didn’t have which kept me from breaking 80, but one thing held true. I never lost my cool and stuck with the MindSet and just had a very enjoyable round! I shot a 48-37. Normally my back 9 is where I fall apart. Not today. We were rushed onto the 1st hole so I wasn’t quite loose before we started. The first 3 holes were the worst on the day.

Played 18 holes today with MindSet at 5200 yds and nothing longer than a 7i. Shot an 85. I was pretty impressed with that score. Had a couple of shots, I wish I didn’t have which kept me from breaking 80, but one thing held true. I never lost my cool and stuck with the MindSet and just had a very enjoyable round! I shot a 48-37. Normally my back 9 is where I fall apart. Not today. We were rushed onto the 1st hole so I wasn’t quite loose before we started. The first 3 holes were the worst on the day.
I want to elaborate on this round a little after some reflection.

1st with me being rushed in holes 1-3 there is something that didn’t happen. I didn’t do step #2 (visualize my shot), nor was my mind empty over the ball. I only did #1 successfully which is to evaluate the shot in front of me and commit to my shot. This cost me 8 strokes in the first 3 holes, whether it be a lost golf ball, bladed chip, or blown putt.

The remaining 6 holes on the front I had 4 bogeys and 2 pars. I was not able to reach many GIR due to length of course vs the longest club in my bag I used (a 7i). So, I got up and down twice and 2 putted the remaining 4. I was dialed in on all 3 steps of MindSet. This gave me a 48.

The back 9 was amazing. I had 3 bogeys (all tap in 2 putts), 2 birdies (1 par 3, 1 par 5) and 4 pars. This gave me a 37.

MindSet visual technology really helped me settle in and the visual reminder (once I honestly started using it), paid dividends. This taught me that when I’m not in my element, the visual technology is a great tool to have.

As an aside, my 10 y/o plays tournament golf at these distances, so I play many rounds with him using clubs that go the same distance as his. It does 2 things, one creates competition between us both and two I get to experience the golf course the way he does. It’s helped me as his caddy.

I like these golf balls so much, I think I’m going to buy a couple of boxes even though I already bought 4 boxes of another brand in early Feb.

Got in another round with these on Friday and still enjoying them. I had two blowup holes pretty early in the round on holes 2 and 3 (+5 on each :() but I felt like the Mindset process helped me reset and not let those two holes ruin the entire round. Had a nice recovery and string of next 8-10 holes where I hit just under 50% fairways and right at 50% GIR, both of which are good for me.

One thing I’ve been going back and forth on is the arrow. In some instances such as off the tee, I feel like it does help me make sure my general alignment and aim is in check which is great. However, I still struggle a bit with the visual off the fairway where the arrow might not be perfectly aimed to the target. Anyone else struggle with this at all, or has it not really an issue?

Got in another round with these on Friday and still enjoying them. I had two blowup holes pretty early in the round on holes 2 and 3 (+5 on each :() but I felt like the Mindset process helped me reset and not let those two holes ruin the entire round. Had a nice recovery and string of next 8-10 holes where I hit just under 50% fairways and right at 50% GIR, both of which are good for me.

One thing I’ve been going back and forth on is the arrow. In some instances such as off the tee, I feel like it does help me make sure my general alignment and aim is in check which is great. However, I still struggle a bit with the visual off the fairway where the arrow might not be perfectly aimed to the target. Anyone else struggle with this at all, or has it not really an issue?

If the logo isn’t perfectly lined up on the fairway it can mess with my head. I treat it like the alignment line on a regular golf ball and ignore it. I just remember that the general direction is where I’m headed.

Another round today with the Mindset. A wet course = another round of lift, clean, and place which gave me plenty of chances to use the mindset for most shots.
Struggled with putter getting speed right but I felt comfortable over the ball when using Mindset and started the ball on the line I wanted all but once.

Overall the B X is a solid performer. Probably not the optimal ball for me, especially on cooler days like today. But it did well in the wind today when I put a good strike on it. Hoping for some warmer days to see if there is a noticeable difference.

So I just spent about 30 minutes working on a focus type of drill and using Mindset. Following the basic premise and I think I kind of like it.

If the logo isn’t perfectly lined up on the fairway it can mess with my head.
I thought that at first as well if I were to use this ball. On the other hand, even if it is an alignment line that I place, or a ball with Triple Track, for example, it doesn't seem to matter to me when hitting a shot where it isn't aligned.

So I just spent about 30 minutes working on a focus type of drill and using Mindset. Following the basic premise and I think I kind of like it.

What stuck out to you most @JB? What was the most foreign thing for you as well?

What stuck out to you most @JB? What was the most foreign thing for you as well?
It’s more of a red and green with a pause. Settling down, focusing on something simple and staying with in the shot

I struggle a bit with the logo on non-tee or green shots where you can line it up but mine is more without seeing the green dot. It has become a proxy for the process being complete and time to pull the trigger. When I don’t see it, other thoughts tend to creep in. Work in progress.

It’s more of a red and green with a pause. Settling down, focusing on something simple and staying with in the shot

Nice. Have you considered visualizing the shot (yellow)?

I’ve been using the back of the ball as my “green dot” once I’m off the tee. The l pointed whichever way serves as my reminder while the back of the ball gives me a focal point.

I struggle a bit with the logo on non-tee or green shots where you can line it up but mine is more without seeing the green dot. It has become a proxy for the process being complete and time to pull the trigger. When I don’t see it, other thoughts tend to creep in. Work in progress.
Would adding some green dots with a Sharpie so at least one is always visible help with focusing on a specific spot on the ball when you can't align the ball?

Recently, I purchased a dozen tour b rx to try out since they were on sale. If they work well for me I will be investing in the newer mindset. I like the idea.

Back