Best Iron Finish?

Im on the phone with someone that has designed a few of these and we are talking about iron finishes.
Comparing them in store to 6 months later, etc.
I say that whatever the finish is on the Apex irons the last decade has been the standard that is in place because it looks clean when new and still looks fantastic after use. He agreed (doesn't work for Callaway). Its satin, but almost a creamy satin if that makes sense.

My question is outside of the two of us, what finish for irons specifically is your favorite when both new and used?
The Apex finish is so well done. Been playing them since December and they are holding up. That would be my choice for new and used.

What cobra did on their black irons for a few years was amazing. It didn't seem to wear at all..
This is the finish that I thought of when I read the thread title. It is great looking and durable.

I'm a satin guy. Callaway and Ping make the best satin I think.

Callaway's Apex satin is my favorite, I wish they would use it on all their irons. My last couple sets have been chrome (including my current set), and the soles look like trash pretty quickly.

Ping's satin finish is really good too. I still have my 14-year old set of K15 irons (that I played for 10 years), and they look better than my current 5-month old chrome set with ~50 rounds on them.

My buddy has the black Cleveland Ta - I am not sure which. They are really old - late 80s early 90s? He still plays them. They still look ok. What was the plating material on those?

The Callaway satin for me... I don't hate chrome.. way better than rust..... I am also partial to the Cobra copper releases

Ping G25 irons.

I like satin the best on my irons. If they come from the factory chrome I’ll take a Scotchbrite pad to them to satinize the finish.

I'm a satin guy myself. Chrome finish can have a bit too much glare at times.

I'm a satin guy by nature, to me, it is the best of all worlds in looks and longevity.

There are TWO that I put above all others in that category, Callaway and PING.
I'm not a Ping guy by any means at all, but their satin finish without a doubt hold up better than just about anyone.

Love Black, but not when it wears.

Hate shiny chrome usually because of glare.

Like the Apex Pro satin a lot.

But if black would ever stay black and keep looking black for a few years of play? Sign me up.

I’ve always loved satin finish, but my two favorite clubs in my bag right now are chrome so that’s my pick.

These are my favorite and preferred finishes IMG_6437.jpegIMG_6438.jpeg

The Apex satin is really nice, I'm a big fan of raw, so if they Apex went from satin look to a nice look of the face of my jaws raw wedges that'd be awesome.

The old Adams MB2 irons were really nice too

Apex finish lasted for sure.

The vibration dampener, however, did not!

Was fun talking with Marni at the Titleist experience about the process for developing black iron finishes.

I go chrome but I did have one set of black irons and really thought they were sharp. They wore out pretty quickly. I hear the new finishes are more durable so maybe the next set.

I love a good brushed finish personally.

Satin chrome is my favorite.

Back