Best Iron Finish?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Im on the phone with someone that has designed a few of these and we are talking about iron finishes.
Comparing them in store to 6 months later, etc.
I say that whatever the finish is on the Apex irons the last decade has been the standard that is in place because it looks clean when new and still looks fantastic after use. He agreed (doesn't work for Callaway). Its satin, but almost a creamy satin if that makes sense.

My question is outside of the two of us, what finish for irons specifically is your favorite when both new and used?

I really like the copper. Satin black is a close second

• Admin
Ben Hogan DBM man those were incredible
The dark finish definitely lasted, but sadly some didnt love the feel of them because of it.
Also sadly it cannot be done to many irons.

I love a good satin finish.

I'm a satin guy by nature, to me, it is the best of all worlds in looks and longevity.

There are TWO that I put above all others in that category, Callaway and PING.

Im satin as well. I still have my CF16 irons in the bag and they look great still

I'm not sure if it's the right words for it, but the slightly muted / matte satin is a great answer. Nothing too shiny, I don't think those age as well. Give something a slightly matte finish and it's great.

I'm a satin guy by nature, to me, it is the best of all worlds in looks and longevity.

There are TWO that I put above all others in that category, Callaway and PING.
I actually think the Edel SMS is up with Callaway there.

I tend to go Chrome most of the time. It’s classic.

My Bridgestone J15CB finish looks as good today as the day I pulled off the plastic.

I’m really partial to the dull pearl satin, like the new Apex, or Pings finish.

Not sure I could pick just one, but my favorite looking irons in terms of finish are Apex because they're in the bag but Mizuno satin iron finish is also outstanding IMO.

a brushed none glare chrome is nice too.. Like what Mizuno does.

Satin for me. Love the brushed copper like on the Mizuno but it doesn't hold up.

It's hard to ignore the quality of the DBM presentation of the old PTx Pro irons. Those things were spectacular.

That said, I don't have long term appreciation for most finishes like a satin because they tend to show signs of wear SO fast.

I actually think the Edel SMS is up with Callaway there.
That is a good one, so is Mizuno's on their wedges and JPX Tour irons. That milky rich satin.

The satin on the Apex for me, at least when thinking long term.

Not a fan of chrome. I do like the look of some of the copper stuff when new.

It's hard to ignore the quality of the DBM presentation of the old PTx Pro irons. Those things were spectacular.

That said, I don't have long term appreciation for most finishes like a satin because they tend to show signs of wear SO fast.
I think satin wears way more balanced over time than polished does.

What cobra did on their black irons for a few years was amazing. It didn't seem to wear at all..

I like the look of chrome, at least on the sole and top line, but it can wear over time. Satin would be my choice when considering the 6 mos. out time line. When the groove area matches the rest of the club, it is a good look and makes the club look a little larger to me.

maybe it's not the satin finish but the brushed finish or whatever that is that instantly shows any kind of rub.
OOOOOOOOOH! YES!

That brushed chrome by far shows the most wear. The first Edison wedges used it and showed wear SUPER quickly.

Back