Best Iron Finish?

If you have ever owned a set of the DBM finished irons, this isn't even a debate. After even a few years of use there is no bag chatter. The only signs of wear is a graying on the sole or the sweet spot. Since there is no coating on the grooves, they remain sharp. This process reacts differently depending on what metal is treated, but it's a shame more companies have not delved into it. Hogan, Maltby and Cobra have all had models. Not sure who else has. The Pic is of my all time favorite MMB Blacks

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 7
Best finish currently IMO is the nickel finish on the Vokey SM10 wedges. Would love to see a nex gen forge tec in nickel.

I'm a sucker for dark finishes and have the Apex blacks but the most consistent finish out there for good looks over time has to be satin.

Mizuno’s Yoro program‘s double nickel satin was amazing!

I loved the Adams Idea Black CB3 finish back in the day. I actually loved everything about those irons

I love dark wedges, but idk if I would want the whole set black
Every time I see copper though I get the feels. I think copper would be my choice

Would have to agree that the Apex finish is outstanding. I also love the DBM finish on the PTX pros.

Im on the phone with someone that has designed a few of these and we are talking about iron finishes.
Comparing them in store to 6 months later, etc.
I say that whatever the finish is on the Apex irons the last decade has been the standard that is in place because it looks clean when new and still looks fantastic after use. He agreed (doesn't work for Callaway). Its satin, but almost a creamy satin if that makes sense.

My question is outside of the two of us, what finish for irons specifically is your favorite when both new and used?
Apex were good but the black iron finish on the cobra king forged looked really good & seem to have Held up well over time. The new Srixon Black irons look good but not sure how they will hold up as they are the newest out there.

I like a satin finish on my irons but a raw or black finish on my wedges. Something about the wear/rust that draws me to those.

My top finish is whatever Edel uses in their SMS wedges. I don’t know if the line pattern in the soles does anything to help it but as much as I use my wedges they still look near mint.

I think the ultimate for me would be some kind of a matte gunmetal gray finish, in DBM or whichever finish tech is the most durable nowadays.

Im on the phone with someone that has designed a few of these and we are talking about iron finishes.
Comparing them in store to 6 months later, etc.
I say that whatever the finish is on the Apex irons the last decade has been the standard that is in place because it looks clean when new and still looks fantastic after use. He agreed (doesn't work for Callaway). Its satin, but almost a creamy satin if that makes sense.

My question is outside of the two of us, what finish for irons specifically is your favorite when both new and used?
Agree 100% callaway has the finish game figured out.

Satin finish of the Apex line is for sure one of my favorite finishes

Satin. I still have a set of CF-16's, and I agree. They're quite durable as they still look great.

But, gotta say, whatever the finish is considered to be on my JPX-923 Pros... chrome? Satin/chrome? Through 150+ rounds, bouncing around in the bag on a cart for all of 'em, they still look excellent.

i dont have a particular brand or specific iron i think that has the best finish but i would say a satin matte finish is my favorite. i hate glare. Wilson irons look great but the super chrome finish is very off putting

I know the finishes dont hold up (not that i ever hang on to irons long enough to see) but the mizuno copper on wedges and the new TM copper irons look awesome

Also can never go wrong with some sexy raw finish irons

The finish doesn't really matter to me these days as long as the price is right and the iron complements my game. I got, matte, satin and chrome in my bag at different times and they all work.

Back