Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

Why doesn't Hogan make a cart bag?

That didn't come up at the event but I'd guess cart bags aren't as big of sellers.
I remember walking the course regularly.
I believe that the world was still in black and white, then.:)

Took the 7 iron to LGS store today and got some swings in. Was working a new swing key that, at least for today, was really getting great contact. Was able to move the ball left and right on command and was reminded of that lovely feeling from finding the center of the face on these. Was very pleased with distances as well, seeing average carry around 175-180 with a couple (the ones that felt the best) pushing 185-190. They're still a semi demanding club for someone of my skill level, but man it was nice to be reminded of just these are capable of when I do my part.

Finally got to at least put some swings on new shafted ptxpros. Already more comfortable after just a brief session. (And none of the heads came flying off too.)

Just reiterated how great they feel on solid strikes. Excited to get them back to the course soon.

IMG_20220213_184609_582.jpg

Finally got to at least put some swings on new shafted ptxpros. Already more comfortable after just a brief session. (And none of the heads came flying off too.)

Just reiterated how great they feel on solid strikes. Excited to get them back to the course soon.

View attachment 9068319
Those ferrules really pop 😍 I'm considering doing the same and swapping into LZ shafts, but I want to have a few more rounds in with the KBS before I do anything crazy. Envy you guys who can get out there year round!

PTX Pros have been heavy on my mind as I contemplate 2022 bag setup. These are a lot of fun in the bag 🤔

Feels like forever but finally looking like I'll be able to get the reshafted ptxpros out on the course next couple days.

Pretty excited. :)
Mixed bag today. Much more stable swing with the heavier shafts.

Biggest thing is these just launch lower than I'm used to, got me in trouble with some trees early.

It's fun to be able to move the ball left and right again though. I could play a pretty strong fade swing in and the ball would do that.

Distance wise there's still a lot of figuring to do. The pw gaps pretty well already with the 56 zipcore. Not sure the 50* equalizer ii is needed. 🧐 The top of the bag is a different story. I thought I hit just a perfect 5i into a bit of a breeze to a 198 flag and it hit about 20 yards short and backed up a foot. :LOL:

Ball change out of the tour B coming to see if that helps.

Got in 36 today at the simulator and the PTX Pros finally got some justice. Right out of the gate the swing thought that gave me hope at the LGS a couple weeks ago translated on the simulator course (hitting off mat caveat notwithstanding). I was seeing pleasing distance, high launch, and got to experience the buttery feel of center face contact with these. I wasn't perfect, but the PTX Pros picked me up when I wasn't perfect. Saw the pleasing 10 yard loss on strikes that were less than ideal and I knew it immediately. I've played irons where these types of strikes would leave me weelllll further back than these do. The highlight of the day was holing out an 8 iron for eagle from 165. Was confident I had the right club, put a smooth swing on it, knew by the buttery soft feel of the strike I'd found the center of the face, and seeing it go in (even on a sim) was wildly uplifting. For better or worse I'm hopeful this year I'll be able to maximize what these beauties have to offer.🤞🤞

Just saw my beauties again today, they were looking at me as to why they haven't been out to the range in a long while. May have to rectify that with these and the ZX7's.

Got in 36 today at the simulator and the PTX Pros finally got some justice. Right out of the gate the swing thought that gave me hope at the LGS a couple weeks ago translated on the simulator course (hitting off mat caveat notwithstanding). I was seeing pleasing distance, high launch, and got to experience the buttery feel of center face contact with these. I wasn't perfect, but the PTX Pros picked me up when I wasn't perfect. Saw the pleasing 10 yard loss on strikes that were less than ideal and I knew it immediately. I've played irons where these types of strikes would leave me weelllll further back than these do. The highlight of the day was holing out an 8 iron for eagle from 165. Was confident I had the right club, put a smooth swing on it, knew by the buttery soft feel of the strike I'd found the center of the face, and seeing it go in (even on a sim) was wildly uplifting. For better or worse I'm hopeful this year I'll be able to maximize what these beauties have to offer.🤞🤞

Well, I guess holing out an 8i is a highlight. 💪

Well, I guess holing out an 8i is a highlight. 💪
I wanted to enjoy it soooo much more but we were down to 5 minutes and still had 2 holes to play so we were playing full on speed golf. I'm not even sure my buddy said anything 🤣

I just remember thinking damn I think that went in and then seeing 0.0 feet to pin I was like hot damn that did go in 🤣

I wanted to enjoy it soooo much more but we were down to 5 minutes and still had 2 holes to play so we were playing full on speed golf. I'm not even sure my buddy said anything 🤣

I just remember thinking damn I think that went in and then seeing 0.0 feet to pin I was like hot damn that did go in 🤣

That's a good day, I don't care if it was on a Sim or not. Nice shot.

First round of golf in 3 months and hit the PtxPros well today. Was able to work the ball right to left consistently without any of the pull issues I had last season. Still had the same great penetrating flight I've grown used to with these clubs. Had 4 GIR over 9 holes from 160, 140, 120, and 140 (2 9-irons, an 8-iron and my 50* gap): really solid for my game and a great start to 2022.

Able to get an actual nearly full range session with the reshafted ptxpros today.

Still might be a bit much club for me but man they are fun and rewarding.

Some distances felt a bit inconsistent but also using range balls that's hard to judge too much.

moving them left and right with ease and the soles not yelling at me is just awesome.

I really understand the love these get. Might be tough for me to maximize with my playing only a couple times a month ball striking. But they are going to get their time still. 😍

Last edited:
Able to get an actual nearly full range session with the reshafted ptxpros today.

Still might be a bit much club for me but man they are fun and rewarding.

Some distances felt a bit inconsistent but also using range balls that's hard to judge too much.

moving them left and right with ease and the soles not yelling at me is just awesome.

I really understand the love these get. Might be tough for me to maximize with my playing only a couple times a month ball striking. But they are going to get their time still. 😍
I like this analysis and I'm with you when you say the club might be just out of my own ability as an iron player. There are some player-distance clubs out there (my alt-set, the p770s for instance) that are nice and forgiving for players that want a distance iron without having a large footprint. But the PtxPros aren't really that kind of club.

Imo the more I play with them, the more they feel like they're a true "step up" club for someone whose ball striking is really good and can shape the ball but doesn't want to take a chance on losing distance by going to a blade set. For that guy, these clubs will be KILLER. For a guy like me, it's a great set of irons that keep me honest about what I'm allowed to do. No "turning on one" to squeeze out a bit more distance when I'm between clubs: every shot has to be a controlled, 75% swing or it gets ugly. Like you, wish I had more time for the range to get the most out of them. Whole lotta season coming up though 🔥

I still don't think this is the club that will maximize my handicap, but that doesn't make me want to get rid of them.

strike is much better with the heavier shaft. very playable, but miss some of the high launch and distance from some of the techier clubs out there.

Even with the built in tech there it, it's such a classic iron. I expect to keep these around and bring them in and out of play for the forseeable future. 5-10 years from now they will still look great.

the long irons are sneaky forgiving. caught a 6i out on the toe on a into the wind par 3 and it still got up and made the distance.

Last edited:
These beauties were in the bag today and faced a tough ask with the winds. It was a tough day to fairly evaluate them. Overall I struck them really solid. Had 2 that really got eaten up by the wind and 2 more that were less than a foot off on the fringe.

I almost think these need to be played 1-2* strong to flatten out the flight a bit. I'm not a high spin player but I hit the ball fairly high. These struggle a bit into the wind.

A positive takeaway was the nice contact I was seeing in some extremely soft conditions. It was the type of day where you could easily catch one heavy and lay sod over it. Didn't happen once. Thanks V sole.

Has anyone shafted their heads up with Modus 120, 125 or PX 5.5? My last four rounds I've played in some windy conditions and the ball is just getting eaten up. Even clubbing up and hitting knockdowns the ball is spinning a ton. I need to try a ball change, I know I have some TP5x around here somewhere. My current 100 gram shafts are not a good fit for me and I'm sure that only exacerbates the situation. Going to test the 8 iron out and see if the flight comes down. I'm just not sure which to try.

Has anyone shafted their heads up with Modus 120, 125 or PX 5.5? My last four rounds I've played in some windy conditions and the ball is just getting eaten up. Even clubbing up and hitting knockdowns the ball is spinning a ton. I need to try a ball change, I know I have some TP5x around here somewhere. My current 100 gram shafts are not a good fit for me and I'm sure that only exacerbates the situation. Going to test the 8 iron out and see if the flight comes down. I'm just not sure which to try.
I think you are on the right track with a ball change or I'd suggest bending them strong. I don't think a shaft change will give you the spin difference you want. Those are all pretty different profiles as well.

Back