Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

These are sneaky fire and can give so much to many swings! These too look forward to the bag battle. Such great irons!

I was pretty frustrated with the PTx Pros those first couple rounds.

Much more hopeful after finally getting them out again.
Hit some really pleasing shots. It was windy and able to flight some irons, hit several holding draws against a crosswind which is pretty crazy for me. Several felt really good and did exactly what I wanted them to which is a lot of fun.

was playing CSX balls and only had some prov1x spares in the bag too.
Short irons just spin too much with these balls. I was backing some back off greens and 2 clubs shorter than other irons I've played, I think knocking the spin down would increase the playability a lot. I pulled a 7i from 130 on a par 3, and it was the right club. :ROFLMAO: a bit into the wind but never hit more than 9i into that hole I think.

Going to see what balls I have around to bring out next time.

Hit some really pleasing shots. It was windy and able to flight some irons, hit several holding draws against a crosswind which is pretty crazy for me. Several felt really good and did exactly what I wanted them to which is a lot of fun.

Short irons just spin too much with these balls. I was backing some back off greens and 2 clubs shorter than other irons I've played, I think knocking the spin down would increase the playability a lot. I pulled a 7i from 130 on a par 3, and it was the right club. :ROFLMAO: a bit into the wind but never hit more than 9i into that hole I think.

I am a low spin guy. And even for me the PTxPro are spin champions.

I'd be curious for you to hit these on a launch monitor and get some numbers. Or maybe grab a sleeve of standard CS or AVX and hit them side by side with the high spin balls.

As a lower spin guy I didn't find these too high spin. About 5200 with a 6 iron using a PV1. Maybe it's the weaker lofts you aren't used to. Could also account for some extra spin depending what irons you are coming from.

Maybe it's the weaker lofts you aren't used to. Could also account for some extra spin depending what irons you are coming from.

That's definitely a piece of it. These should be bent 1* strong to help a little. Also the wrong shafts aren't helping.
Doesn't feel like they are launching overly high though.
Would be helpful to see launch monitor numbers.

That's definitely a piece of it. These should be bent 1* strong to help a little. Also the wrong shafts aren't helping.
Doesn't feel like they are launching overly high though.
Would be helpful to see launch monitor numbers.
I think you’ll find the Hogans are intrinsically higher spin.

I also find the short irons in these to spin a fair bit. I have it in my mind to pair them up with ChromeSoft X LS this coming season, it seems like a good match on paper.

I also find the short irons in these to spin a fair bit. I have it in my mind to pair them up with ChromeSoft X LS this coming season, it seems like a good match on paper.
I think you may be on to something here. I think I will try the same thing.

Alright loading up some csxls and vice pros for next time.

when they are good, they are really really good.

I could certainly use some extra forgiveness than these guys provide for a majority of the my shots though.

8815B702-F116-47A7-9158-1A8C0A6EEE14.jpeg
I played with a guy with the OG Hogan Apex’s in his bag, I tried to talk about the new Hogan tech like the PTx Pros and he didn’t want to hear any of it…

Those are the 93-94 Apex Channel Back irons. While not the OG Apex they are still pretty cool, I have a set in the garage.
My bad, I didn’t know what year, but I knew they were vintage…

when they are good, they are really really good.

I could certainly use some extra forgiveness than these guys provide for a majority of the my shots though.
I get where you are coming from. I actually find them very unforgiving on certain strikes, like worse than most blades. Some mishits are ok like slight toe, but others that are low I lose 20 yards carry and 8mph ball speed, and 40 feet peak height. I just got finished collecting data today that shows exactly this.

Was able to get some simulator time this week and these irons are performing very well for me, though I’m still struggling with a case of the lefts (blame it on being rusty). I might have less than 10 rounds (and range time) on these, but the DBM is holding up better than I imagined. Tried to take some close-ups of my most used irons (6, 8, 9) to capture ball marks across the face and I’m really impressed. It looks no more noticeable in hand than any of my chrome irons:
F1A1F1F9-3CEA-4996-BC6F-2417FB7E6BC0.jpeg
Back, sides, and sole—same:
E6E82230-E98E-44A5-930C-11040E33153C.jpeg81D4384E-F4F3-4AB6-8C2E-EA318E6D3443.jpeg

I’m not sure I’m getting along with the KBS Tour shaft as well as I’d like, but I’ll hold off judgement until I can use these outdoors again. I’m not experiencing major distance loss, but I don’t feel like I can send these with a nice and smooth swing like I am able to do with my PXLZ’s. Hitting them side by side with my other iron set and there’s a noticeable difference in how much “juice” I’m giving each club. Pondering a shaft swap.. :unsure:

Attachments

• 52FC4379-6E46-4B4F-9DE4-DD2EF5986FD1.jpeg
    52FC4379-6E46-4B4F-9DE4-DD2EF5986FD1.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 3
  • CA405EE8-B3B2-4B67-8AC9-15122EADC2E2.jpeg
    CA405EE8-B3B2-4B67-8AC9-15122EADC2E2.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 3
Played a new course today for the first time and hit a ton of GIR. All credit goes to the Ptx Pros; great set of irons. That being said, I hit my buddies Miura Giken CB 1008......may have found my unicorns. Everything I want in an iron and will probably kick the pros out of the bag when my finances allow it.

Little bump for these.

I have a few simulator rounds and outdoor range sessions with these over the winter. They do feel damn good and are very satisfying to hit. As soon as I received these I found the short irons to be great, and that is still holding true. I know it's sim golf, but I really don't miss greens with these short irons. What's really come alive for me are the long irons. Traditionally I've always hit long irons pretty good, but initially struggled a bit with these. Not sure if my swing is just in a better place, but the PTx Pro 4 iron is starting to get fun. Flew one 209 into into a par 5 on the sim and it was majestic. That was also backed up while at the heated range yesterday. I hit the 4 iron better than either 3 hybrid I brought with me, and probably within 5 yards distance wise.

Can't wait to get these back on the course this spring. I'm thinking something like the AVX ball may be a nice pairing for these.

Little bump for these.

I have a few simulator rounds and outdoor range sessions with these over the winter. They do feel damn good and are very satisfying to hit. As soon as I received these I found the short irons to be great, and that is still holding true. I know it's sim golf, but I really don't miss greens with these short irons. What's really come alive for me are the long irons. Traditionally I've always hit long irons pretty good, but initially struggled a bit with these. Not sure if my swing is just in a better place, but the PTx Pro 4 iron is starting to get fun. Flew one 209 into into a par 5 on the sim and it was majestic. That was also backed up while at the heated range yesterday. I hit the 4 iron better than either 3 hybrid I brought with me, and probably within 5 yards distance wise.

Can't wait to get these back on the course this spring. I'm thinking something like the AVX ball may be a nice pairing for these.
That 4 iron is a rocketship! I think lots of people overlook it and never give it a chance. I know I was guilty of that as well...

Little bump for these.

Some DBM heads on the workbench the last couple of weeks. Needing the get them shafted again this weekend.

👍

20220129_130407.jpg

Reactions: KEV
They, along with Mizuno JPX 921 Tours, were very strong contenders when I chose the T100. Look really good, and not excessively strong lofted.
Also compatible with configuring a playable set for me.

Back