Astronomy/Stargazing thread

Anyone else scan the night skies ? I have a decent telescope but might get some Astro binoculars. Jupiter and Saturn have been great lately.

I do some amateur astrophotography

Found the comet tonight while freezing. Just kidding sort of (I was bundling in full insulted gear.) Neighbor for some reason have to light up their house like they’re in the Christmas lighting competition which made things tougher.
I'll try for it over the next few days. It has cleared up, but its getting colder (-15F to -20F range):eek:

It would be great to see some of your pics!(y)

I'll see if I can grab some, most of them are on a previous computer which isn't hooked up currently

Here are some pictures I took of the Moon and Venus last week.
The first one is from March 23 and the second was taken on March 24. You can see that Venus has passed the Moon. The third picture is a close up of the crescent Moon from March 23.

Mar 23 resized.jpg

Mar 24 resized.jpg

Crescent Moon resized.jpg

What is a good beginner scope to see galaxies and nebula? My son has quickly outgrown his 70a Celestron and really wants to see further out.

What is a good beginner scope to see galaxies and nebula? My son has quickly outgrown his 70a Celestron and really wants to see further out.
Dobsanian, Sky-Watcher, and NexStar are the best options that won’t be 1000. Dob are particularly popular.

Dobsanian, Sky-Watcher, and NexStar are the best options that won’t be 1000. Dob are particularly popular.
Thank you I'll research them.

Yeah the Celestron NexStar series definitely go deeper but thats a nice beginner into deep space as far as galaxy and nebulas.
They have some nexstars for right at 600 I can swing that if they are that much better.

They have some nexstars for right at 600 I can swing that if they are that much better.
Those are definitely a very solid deep space telescope.

Those are definitely a very solid deep space telescope.
This kid woke up early as hell to go see the harvest moon like 4am he woke me up. He took his scope out last night to see it but wanted to see the moon at its brightest. He took pics through the lens but it's so hard so we will make sure the next scope is easy to take pics with. He loves space and the universe.

this is cool. My kid love the moon, so we use the Skyview app to find it and other planets in the sky before bedtime.
Pretty cool to easily see what we are looking up at, stars/planets.

I don't own a telescope or binoculars, but I really loved astronomy courses in college, and I even listen to a related podcast which is fascinating. I think my buddy has a telescope, so I really should meet up with him more often to stargaze (along with some drinks of course).

I don't own a telescope or binoculars, but I really loved astronomy courses in college, and I even listen to a related podcast which is fascinating. I think my buddy has a telescope, so I really should meet up with him more often to stargaze (along with some drinks of course).
Also check your area. Lots of areas have Astro groups that have incredible telescopes and are very happy to let people use them at their meet ups.

Back