Astronomy/Stargazing thread

Pharaoh

🌹Grandaddy X 🌹 #TeamLegacy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else scan the night skies ? I have a decent telescope but might get some Astro binoculars. Jupiter and Saturn have been great lately.

I have a set of Celesteon binoculars that are fun to use. Plenty of nice nights up here in the wintertime to star gaze!

Been considering a telescope so I can sit in some warmth…

I got rid of my 8” Dob a couple years ago, still use my binoculars, but would like to get another telescope eventually. Nothing else makes you feel quite so small as looking out into the universe.

My wife wants to get a good entry level telescope. We go out to Joshua Tree every few months to do some hiking, camping, and stargazing

My wife wants to get a good entry level telescope. We go out to Joshua Tree every few months to do some hiking, camping, and stargazing

Gf and I were at Big Meadows few weeks ago. Absolutely incredible view. You feel like you are in a Astro dome. Honestly my 114 mm telescope gets a decent view inner and outer planets. You can make out Saturn and it’s rings though it is small. If you can something in 130-150 mm that should be quite good. Suggestion: see if you have a Astro society that meets nearby or at the tree. They usually have awesome stuff and many are very nice as far as showing their equipment to help people learn what they what to get. In fact Shenandoah’s group sent me a upgraded eye piece as one of their guys makes custom ones for free. The rule for telescopes. The bigger the better generally. More light gathering ability.

Last edited:
I don’t have a telescope but I have gone to star parties with the local astronomy club where there were multiple telescopes.

I have binoculars that I use.

I don’t have a telescope but I have gone to star parties with the local astronomy club where there were multiple telescopes.

I have binoculars that I use.

I tell ya there’s some amazing binoculars. I’m tempted to get the x100 celestrion. I heard they are like 10 lbs though so they suggest having a tripod as a back up for when your arms get tired 😆.

So apparently there’s an asteroid we couldn’t see due to the sun’s glare that’s not a issue now but might be one in the centuries ahead.

So apparently there’s an asteroid we couldn’t see due to the sun’s glare that’s not a issue now but might be one in the centuries ahead.
The one that’s supposed to buzz Earth’s tower? I do recall hearing that in the news

The one that’s supposed to buzz Earth’s tower? I do recall hearing that in the news

Yes NASA isn't sure of the danger as it orbits but right now as the first time it crosses our path we’ll be on the other side of the Sun but the concern is eventually there will be a crisscross. This would be a planet killer.

Definitely a reminder while we see a lot we still miss things in the sky and can’t see it all even stuff nearby.

I have a 4.5" Reflector by Orion! I spent the last couple months not using it because of moving & my place has been a mess. But I'm back into using it now! Jupiter is great viewing right now.

You do any astrophotography?

I have a 4.5" Reflector by Orion! I spent the last couple months not using it because of moving & my place has been a mess. But I'm back into using it now! Jupiter is great viewing right now.

You do any astrophotography?

My current telescope isn’t that great for that. I’m currently looking at upgrading. I actually was checking Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune last night though. I am spoiled by having a Astro society in my city that have ridiculous telescopes and there’s a observation telescope open every week at night. Unfortunately darkness wise it’s location isn’t ideal.

My current telescope isn’t that great for that. I’m currently looking at upgrading. I actually was checking Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune last night though. I am spoiled by having a Astro society in my city that have ridiculous telescopes and there’s a observation telescope open every week at night. Unfortunately darkness wise it’s location isn’t ideal.

I have been a member of a local astronomy group. However, all activities including group star parties are on hiatus due to covid. When they start back up again, I get out and take advantage of it.

That is awesome. I wish I had a local place to go with no light pollution, but that’s near impossible. I can see Saturn, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, all the easy ones so to speak.

The telescope I have can supposedly lock onto this and that, but it more just puts me in the general vicinity. Doesn’t help with galaxies when I have no idea what I’m looking for haha

I have been a member of a local astronomy group. However, all activities including group star parties are on hiatus due to covid. When they start back up again, I get out and take advantage of it.

Yeah ours is pretty good size but the one in another city nearby is huge. I met them at Shenandoah which is like one of the best stargazing parks in the East.

That is awesome. I wish I had a local place to go with no light pollution, but that’s near impossible. I can see Saturn, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, all the easy ones so to speak.

The telescope I have can supposedly lock onto this and that, but it more just puts me in the general vicinity. Doesn’t help with galaxies when I have no idea what I’m looking for haha

We’re lucky. We have like 4-5 dark sky parks as they call them. Shenandoah is probably one of the best in the East and country. I have trouble with galaxies. I want to get a more deep space telescope. Maybe they’ll be deals coming up now.

Yeah ours is pretty good size but the one in another city nearby is huge. I met them at Shenandoah which is like one of the best stargazing parks in the East.

We’re lucky. We have like 4-5 dark sky parks as they call them. Shenandoah is probably one of the best in the East and country. I have trouble with galaxies. I want to get a more deep space telescope. Maybe they’ll be deals coming up now.
I think I need like a 15ft long telescope. First purchase when I win the lotto: big ass telescope.

Dark sky is an issue where I am.

Are any of these good?

These are the dark sky parks. Unfortunately they don’t list by state so no idea if NY is on it.

Galaxies and other DSOs (Deep Space Objects) are cool because you understand what you're looking at and how far away it is - but in reality, with most telescopes that us mere mortals own, they're about as spectacular as looking at dust smudges on the eyepiece. :LOL: They don't look at all like the big, full-color images we see on the 'net.

M42 in Orion is pretty cool to look at, though. Another cool one is Albireo, a binary star in the constellation Cygnus - one star is blue and the other is yellow/gold. They're not visible to the naked eye, but the colors are awesome when you "split" the binary with a telescope!

Yeah I need to get a telescope. Have wanted to for years but never did for whatever reason

Was hanging with nasa dudes last night and got this on my phone from one of their smaller scopes D8C4ADF6-FAC7-48BB-B156-769BB6278D5B.jpeg

Yeah I need to get a telescope. Have wanted to for years but never did for whatever reason

The question is what you are you hoping to use it for? Are you wanting to look at planets, galaxies, nebulas, etc? There’s telescopes under 250 that will get you a decent to ok look at planets. Moon will look really good in those too. If you get into the 400-700 range you can get pretty good ones and they usually have remote tracking to locate objects. Over 1000 you will see various galaxies and nebulas. 2000s and up you get into some deep space territory. Telescopes range from 150 to 10000. You don’t need to spend 10,000. A couple grand will get you a seriously great telescope that will keep pretty much any amateur astronomer happy. Also eye piece is a big part. Eye pieces can completely alter a telescopes capabilities. When it comes to telescopes the bigger the better honestly. There’s also Astro binoculars and those can be seriously powerful if you just want to do scanning of the skies.

Thanks. Mostly planets and moon I imagine but like anything else may lead down a rabbit hole. Could see the comet...was it last summer?... with binoculars ok. Just need one to convince the wife that she is not wishing on stars, they are usually planets. Like last night insisting that Jupiter was a bright star. :LOL:

I looooooove space/astronomy. One of my absolute favorite things.
We have a real nice telescope at the in-laws that we use often and really enjoy. I love learning more, reading books, listening podcasts on space.

Thanks. Mostly planets and moon I imagine but like anything else may lead down a rabbit hole. Could see the comet...was it last summer?... with binoculars ok. Just need one to convince the wife that she is not wishing on stars, they are usually planets. Like last night insisting that Jupiter was a bright star. :LOL:

😂. Yeah Jupiter is bright as hell. Last night I had my national geo cf which is like 160 ish? I had nasa/jpl dudes right there with their high powered scopes so I could just walk over if there was anything in particular I wanted to see. I had Jupiter and 5 moons. Saturn was visible but air turbulence made it bounce around. If you have a Astro society nearby see if they have events coming up. People at those love to show off scopes. You get everyone from Dob scopes to high power imaging scopes that work with tablets. Totally would blow your wife’s mind too.

I looooooove space/astronomy. One of my absolute favorite things.
We have a real nice telescope at the in-laws that we use often and really enjoy. I love learning more, reading books, listening podcasts on space.

Curious what kind? Right now I’m looking at possibly a new one as there will be Christmas deals. We have huge Astro groups in my state so slightly spoiled. Ran into one at Big meadows in Shenandoah which is like incredible star gazing. In Richmond we have a group that shows you how to work the big observatory telescope here and for a small yearly fee you can use it. Pretty fun.

Back