Astronomy/Stargazing thread

There's a local astronomical society in this area, but where they do their observations is way out in the boonies! One time, taking a new, alternate route to a local state park, I swear that I spotted a house that had an observatory attached to it! Classic domed shape with the "doors" that open so the telescope can look out.

One time I had gone to hunt a local wildlife area that is in a low light environment. It was breathtakingly cold that morning when I arrived well before first light. I got out of my truck to get ready, and made the "mistake" of looking up! It was the most and the brightest stars that I have ever seen in my life! I started wandering around the parkling area seeing how many constellations I could identify. I did this for so long that it started to get light. When I noticed that I also noticed how doggone cold I was! I hopped back in the truck, drove to a nearby restaurant that caters to hunters and fishers and had a big hot breakfast! Then I drove home, changed clothes and took a nap!

I've been interested in astronomy for several years now. I had an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain for years then upgraded to a 10" Dobsonian. That was a mistake though. The Dobsonian isn't very portable and I have too many trees blocking the view from my yard. I'll have to sell it and buy a smaller scope. I also have a bunch of sky pictures that I'll post when I have some more time.

I've been interested in astronomy for several years now. I had an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain for years then upgraded to a 10" Dobsonian. That was a mistake though. The Dobsonian isn't very portable and I have too many trees blocking the view from my yard. I'll have to sell it and buy a smaller scope. I also have a bunch of sky pictures that I'll post when I have some more time.

Super jelly of the Dob. Everyone at my local Astro group loves them.

This picture is the Milky Way over the driving range at the Willows. It was taken last month.
Was that with any longer exposure or just a straight up point and click? Because that is amazing

I have always beenfascinated by the stars. Iwas to get a good telescope at sone point, but i dont see that happening any time soon. I do love that i can get to pretty dark skies without driving too far up here....it is just the clouds that are the problem. HahA

I have always beenfascinated by the stars. Iwas to get a good telescope at sone point, but i dont see that happening any time soon. I do love that i can get to pretty dark skies without driving too far up here....it is just the clouds that are the problem. HahA

Honestly these days 150-200 ish you can find some decent ones. Not amazing but youโ€™ll see some planets and what not. Black Friday and such deals. You could also look at astro binoculars which can be very reasonable.

I'm reading a book right now titled The Paths of the Planets, by R.A.R. Tricker. It shows you how to use observational data to determine the paths the five ancient planets take in their journey through the heavens that explains (a) their path through the starry background), (b) the retrograde motion of the superior planets, the lack of opposition of the inferior planets, and (c) the variation in brightness of Venus and Mars and to some extent Jupiter and get the modern-day map of the solar system. The medieval astrnomers could have done the same thing if they had only made a different set of assumptions about the structure of the solar system (which they did not conceive of as a solar system anyway). It's not an easy book to read, but it is very entertaining.

Thought you might be interested in planet "George".

The night sky is insane tonight. Only problem it was freezing as hell๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ

The night sky is insane tonight. Only problem it was freezing as hell๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ
Cold nights are often the best stargazing nights. I hate having to suffer for my hobbies. :ROFLMAO:

Cold nights are often the best stargazing nights. I hate having to suffer for my hobbies. :ROFLMAO:

Every planet is visible except Pluto. Itโ€™s wild.

Every planet is visible except Pluto. Itโ€™s wild.
This is an awesome, but up here it has been too cloudy to do any stargazing. Hopefully the skies will clear before the opportunity passes. And it's too freakin' cold too!!

Here's a picture I took in November, 2021. Jupiter, Saturn, the waxing crescent Moon and Venus were lined up in a terrific display.

Jupiter Saturn Moon Venus_2 copy.jpg

Anyone seen the green comet thatโ€™s visiting that hasnโ€™t visited since like the ice age?

I also used to be cold when looking for meteor trails, but the last time I watched the Leonids in November I wore Eddie Bauer lined pants with a down jacket and stayed warm!

Anyone seen the green comet thatโ€™s visiting that hasnโ€™t visited since like the ice age?
I haven't seen it yet, but up here it's been too cloudy over the past week or so. I hope to see it when it finally clears as long as it's not too cold.

My son got a telescope I just don't even know how to set it up or use it ๐Ÿ˜•

There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you've got it, it opens up a universe of exploration. I hope your son enjoys it.
He loves it

My son got a telescope I just don't even know how to set it up or use it ๐Ÿ˜•
Youtube has some good videos on setting certain ones up.

Found the comet tonight while freezing. Just kidding sort of (I was bundling in full insulted gear.) Neighbor for some reason have to light up their house like theyโ€™re in the Christmas lighting competition which made things tougher.

Back