Aaron Boone Ejected Because of Fan

Hunter doubling down, saying he 'heard something' from the far end of the dugout. I'm tellin' ya, it's the linguine.

I appreciate the fact that we can have the banter and a respectful discussion while having a difference of opinion. Can't wait to tee it up w/ you this summer.
Same here.. Hope you are able to get out and play now.

Same here.. Hope you are able to get out and play now.
No more travel baseball this summer... I should be good. I have it on my calendar (5/1) to post in our regional thread and try to pin down date, players, etc. Then I will make us some Turning Stone tee times.

No more travel baseball this summer... I should be good. I have it on my calendar (5/1) to post in our regional thread and try to pin down date, players, etc. Then I will make us some Turning Stone tee times.
Works for me. Looking forward to it.

Major league umpires are a joke. This is what labor unions get you. Angel Hernandez

I appreciate the fact that we can have the banter and a respectful discussion while having a difference of opinion. Can't wait to tee it up w/ you this summer.

Back to subject matter... I do think Boone's history played a part here. To be honest.. it's probably not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Just feels like it could have been avoided or corrected. Crazy to think that in 2024 a fan can yell and get the manager tossed.
is it any different than a player that flops in fill in the blank sport? Or the hot wired NBA player getting T'd up more than anybody else?
Its all perception.

Saw the game live, and it was a ridiculous move on the part of the ump. Worse when he shouted, "I don't care who said it!" Because, due to the conviction in his voice, I believed him.

And there you had it, the quiet part said out loud when an MLB umpire announced for all to hear that he didn't care whether his call was right or wrong.

is it any different than a player that flops in fill in the blank sport? Or the hot wired NBA player getting T'd up more than anybody else?
Its all perception.
It is the same in terms of perception but now lets have Draymond Green get a tech and then have a fan yell something that gets him another tech and ejected. I don't think that would ever happen in NBA.

It is the same in terms of perception but now lets have Draymond Green get a tech and then have a fan yell something that gets him another tech and ejected. I don't think that would ever happen in NBA.
Its possible. But its also possible he gets a tech for having done nothing, just based on past history.
The easy solution for Boone is stop getting ejected so much that the assumption is there.

Im not standing up for the ump, but being a MLB ump right now is the equal to doing social media for an airline. You literally just deal in **** every single day for being terrible, despite every single one of them saying you suck, couldnt do it better.

Its possible. But its also possible he gets a tech for having done nothing, just based on past history.
The easy solution for Boone is stop getting ejected so much that the assumption is there.

Im not standing up for the ump, but being a MLB ump right now is the equal to doing social media for an airline. You literally just deal in **** every single day for being terrible, despite every single one of them saying you suck, couldnt do it better.
That's fair... my gripe w/ umps in MLB is that there is a better way and they choose not to use it. Also... I do agree w/ the idea I referenced in the MLB thread that if they are going to continue to allow human error behind the plate then make sure their best young umps are calling balls/strikes. It's just a fact of life that 30 year old eyes are much better than 50+ year old ones... especially w/ that velocity.

I also heard an idea recently that the home ump should have a pitch comm to be prepared for which pitch is coming. I believe that would indeed help.

That's fair... my gripe w/ umps in MLB is that there is a better way and they choose not to use it. Also... I do agree w/ the idea I referenced in the MLB thread that if they are going to continue to allow human error behind the plate then make sure their best young umps are calling balls/strikes. It's just a fact of life that 30 year old eyes are much better than 50+ year old ones... especially w/ that velocity.

I also heard an idea recently that the home ump should have a pitch comm to be prepared for which pitch is coming. I believe that would indeed help.
You can literally say that about every single thing in this world.
It has always been subjective. Now they draw a pretend box of what it is supposed to be and we all know?
I understand the computer auto system. It is used in the minors and works pretty well. Its not fool proof though.

Can you imagine the outrage if it goes down?

You can literally say that about every single thing in this world.
It has always been subjective. Now they draw a pretend box of what it is supposed to be and we all know?
I understand the computer auto system. It is used in the minors and works pretty well. Its not fool proof though.

Can you imagine the outrage if it goes down?
Except that technically it's not subjective. The strike zone is literally in the rule book. Just enforce it.

I understand it's not fool proof and there will be errors. It will however alleviate the inconsistency and the bias.

I am really interested in the AAA experimentation of the robot ump. They are testing 2 different versions

First is that it calls all the pitches and the ump relays the calls on the field.
The second is the one I would like to see, the ump calls the game and then the managers can challenge. Much like tennis the replay is quick and you leave some of the human element in the game. You would get a certain number of challenges so you have to use them well.

Ok this is funny

IMG_9349.jpeg

Except that technically it's not subjective. The strike zone is literally in the rule book. Just enforce it.

I understand it's not fool proof and there will be errors. It will however alleviate the inconsistency and the bias.
Of course it is, but its literally been subjective since the beginning of the game.

Of course it is, but its literally been subjective since the beginning of the game.
Doesn't have to be... just like the PI flag we were discussing in other thread.

I don't see the push back on making the game better. I'll admit that I didn't follow the MiLB trials so if it was worse than I will change my tune. If the system works then it should make the game better.

Doesn't have to be... just like the PI flag we were discussing in other thread.

I don't see the push back on making the game better. I'll admit that I didn't follow the MiLB trials so if it was worse than I will change my tune. If the system works then it should make the game better.
Makes the game better how?
Easier for hitters?

Makes the game better how?
Easier for hitters?
Maybe... They haven't called letters strike in years though. Not sure that benefits pitchers. I would just like a consistent strike zone game to game. I mean... balls & strikes are a pretty big part of the game. Shouldn't that be consistent?

Maybe... They haven't called letters strike in years though. Not sure that benefits pitchers. I would just like a consistent strike zone game to game. I mean... balls & strikes are a pretty big part of the game. Shouldn't that be consistent?
I guess my question is it literally never has been, so does it make it better? it might. There is no doubt it benefits hitters though.

Maybe they are just deferring the strikes till later for the dodgers

Back